IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spindle Palm possible infection

TedNoah1

Good morning!

I’m hoping someone can help!

My mother’s spindle appears to have a possible fungus or rot issue. The upper bark is soft when pressing with finger (the area that sheds). In addition to what appears to be spores/fungus, (which are a brown and very dark brown color), there’s also a small amount of a white powdery-type substance along the bark.

I hope the pictures are angled in the positions that showcase it properly .  I’d be happy to directly send  others if needed, the forum is only allowing 2 :-(

I added some more in the comments section.66AA33AE-0FF5-4BE1-81D7-3BFA651EDE57.thumb.jpeg.307ec0db26c3f4d261930e747a10951e.jpeg

3111717E-6BCC-4D92-9D34-F87E34BA458D.jpeg

Edited by TedNoah1
  • Upvote 1

If this were my palm, I would start giving it systemic fungicide treatments right away.  Propiconazole is one option.  Phyton is also excellent and strong but very expensive.  It also has action against pathogenic bacteria.

Edited by palmsOrl
  • Upvote 1

I agree, and Banrot is another systemic fungicide option.

The blue-green-white crusty stuff at the base of the trunk looks like a lichen.  I'm not aware of that being a problem, but the big hole in the base of the trunk looks like a major problem.  At least it looks like a hole.  I have no idea how to fix that, maybe the spray-on pruning sealer?  That might make it worse if you seal moisture and rot inside without curing that first.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum @TedNoah1!  Hope the recommended treatment keeps your nice-looking palm around for a while.  I wouldn't fill in the hole personally.  Seems like it makes the issue worse.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thank you , @kinzyjr , @Merlyn2220 And @palmsOrl! I will be passing on your information to her. I also should’ve added in the initial post, I reached out to Florida University. Had a very nice response from one of the professors. He mentioned he believed it was nutrient deficient, suspected potassium deficient, especially. He also mentioned the trunk (where the hole is) is severely  sunburned?  Thoughts on these items, friends?   I have asked him some more questions but have not heard back yet. 

Update - I peeled the upper bark off and discovered another flower pod and the bulk of the trunk bark is fine - no spots.  Upper , near crown is the worst. See photos.

4EEF59A6-91B6-4276-9234-8E655100DD7E.jpeg

5B71B1AE-5C7E-4997-9723-207CAC1D214E.jpeg

38 minutes ago, TedNoah1 said:

So that means often fertilizing? She only does it about every 3 mos?

Fertilize often and correctly.  Once every three months is probably often enough.  Do you know which kind is used and the nutrient profile of the fertilizer?  Here in Florida, it is probably best to use a slow release that is temperature activated rather than moisture activated.  The two most common brands I see mentioned by those of us in Florida are PalmGain and Florikan. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I'd agree with the potassium deficiency, that usually shows up as yellowed ends of leaves on the oldest fronds.  It also shows as yellow-orange spots or dead spots on leaves, generally also near the tips of older fronds.  It doesn't look like a severe deficiency, since the vast majority of the leaves are green.  But based on the curly leaves it might be a bit deficient in either (or both) manganese and boron.  Make sure your fertilizer has the micronutrients like magnesium, iron, manganese and boron.

The squishy feeling near the base of each petiole seems like it has to be some kind of fungus or rot.  There's no avoiding overhead rainfall, but hopefully she isn't watering the top, right?