IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis lutescens and Areca vestria enjoying a hot and humid southern Ontario day

Rickybobby

These guys have hated lots of sun so they are in a spot that only gets some late evening sun. Temps are nice and hot here in the tobacco belt and my palms are growing like crazy. I have dypsis from Jamaica and Dominican Republic collect. Vestiaria are from seedman 

A308E257-E08C-4B6B-AEBA-2334361FABE5.jpeg

• Like 1

Did you grow them all from seed?  Dypsis will take and LOVE full, unobstructed, tropical sun once acclimated to it.  When I put mine out for the season, I keep them in the shade for a couple of weeks (although this Spring in NJ, it was not necessary as there was NO SUN).  Some burn more than others..., Hyophorbes (both Spindles and Bottles) burn baddly unless acclimated, so too for Phoenix roebellini, and Cycads.  I may try something from the Areca genus from seed..., my seed grown palms have been limited to Washingtonias, Phoenix canariensis and coconut palms.

Glad your seedlings are coming along.  BTW, palms tend to increase in growth rate once they pass through the seedling state (maybe they are busy putting down deep roots first).

3 hours ago, oasis371 said:

Did you grow them all from seed?  Dypsis will take and LOVE full, unobstructed, tropical sun once acclimated to it.  When I put mine out for the season, I keep them in the shade for a couple of weeks (although this Spring in NJ, it was not necessary as there was NO SUN).  Some burn more than others..., Hyophorbes (both Spindles and Bottles) burn baddly unless acclimated, so too for Phoenix roebellini, and Cycads.  I may try something from the Areca genus from seed..., my seed grown palms have been limited to Washingtonias, Phoenix canariensis and coconut palms.

Glad your seedlings are coming along.  BTW, palms tend to increase in growth rate once they pass through the seedling state (maybe they are busy putting down deep roots first).

Thanks. And yes every palm I have is grown from seed. Either ones I’ve collected in the Caribbean or purchased online. My big guys around the pool I bought that way to bridge the gaps since it will be a few years before my seedlings can grace the landscape 

the seedlings were all started indoors so it was tough to acclimate them

• 1 month later...

Yes Patrick, the Dypsis lutescens....    "It goes by many names - Areca lutescens, Chrysalidocarpus lutescens, Dypsis lutescens, Butterfly Palm, Yellow Palm, Golden Cane and Areca Palm."

Sometimes even the latin binomials can be as confusing as the 'common' names, because even the official names can be changed over the years, as has happened here.

Even the Queen palm Syagrus romanzoffiana,  "had been previously classified within the Cocos genus as Cocos plumosa, was changed to Arecastrum as Arecastrum romanzoffianum, then moved to Syagrus."  In Australia here it is still commonly known as the Cocos palm.

Keeping up with all of the changes is sometimes very difficult but at any one time there is usually only one latest 'correct' binomial name.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

58 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

Even the Queen palm Syagrus romanzoffiana,  "had been previously classified within the Cocos genus as Cocos plumosa, was changed to Arecastrum as Arecastrum romanzoffianum, then moved to Syagrus."  In Australia here it is still commonly known as the Cocos palm.

Keeping up with all of the changes is sometimes very difficult but at any one time there is usually only one latest 'correct' binomial name.

Hear, hear! Cocos plumosa, literally, is what the growers call the queens in Mexico. Yes, just 2 linear miles south of the San Diego, CA border. 

That said I can Imagine why folks are baffled whenever I pinpoint the location (2-4 miles south of San Diego, CA.)

I'll tell you all why in this kind of hidden thread:  Once I sent a picture of my Cocos nucifera to Banana Joe (youtube celeb) through Youtube through a Gdrive link.  He asked me "where is the garden?" I said "in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico."

He immediately answered (I'll never forget this) "Oh, Mexico! You can grow anything there!"   

I just sighed.... 

And left it at that. Wish all of "Mexico"  were a 12B zone.....:D

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

12 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Hear, hear! Cocos plumosa, literally, is what the growers call the queens in Mexico. Yes, just 2 linear miles south of the San Diego, CA border. 

That said I can Imagine why folks are baffled whenever I pinpoint the location (2-4 miles south of San Diego, CA.)

I'll tell you all why in this kind of hidden thread:  Once I sent a picture of my Cocos nucifera to Banana Joe (youtube celeb) through Youtube through a Gdrive link.  He asked me "where is the garden?" I said "in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico."

He immediately answered (I'll never forget this) "Oh, Mexico! You can grow anything there!"   

I just sighed.... 

And left it at that. Wish all of "Mexico"  were a 12B zone.....:D

Ever call it Areca palm? Lol

Here everybody who uses common names calls Dypsis lutescens Areca palms.

When I first came to this forum I was sooo relieved to see almost all the members using the Latin names.

• Like 1

You got 21, not 20 woo hoo.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.