SilverDragon

W robusta seedling leaf tips turning yellow

SilverDragon

So my biggest W robusta seedling has been doing well, but recently it's leaf tips have been turning yellow. It's in a pearlite peat mix and gets light for at least 8 hours a day from grow lamps. Additionally it is on a heated mat with others. I water it when it gets dry, which is almost once a day. Maybe I'm overwatering it? Pot size? Should it go outside perhaps? Help is appreciated.

IMG_20190702_115259.jpg

palmsOrl

I would recommend putting it outside, but at this time of year you might have to water it multiple times per day.  Your palm should handle all the sun it can get, but you would want to keep the soil no less than barely moist.  Also, it might get blown around by wind or dug up by critters.

If it were mine, I would probably pot it up now into a ~ 1 gallon pot with very free draining potting mix, then put it outside and keep the soil moist but not soggy. 

SilverDragon
17 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

I would recommend putting it outside, but at this time of year you might have to water it multiple times per day.  Your palm should handle all the sun it can get, but you would want to keep the soil no less than barely moist.  Also, it might get blown around by wind or dug up by critters.

If it were mine, I would probably pot it up now into a ~ 1 gallon pot with very free draining potting mix, then put it outside and keep the soil moist but not soggy. 

Got it. I'll do that then.

• Upvote 1

Rickybobby

I had a lot of soggy soil issues with peat moss. Lostaot of palms. I’ve switched to coco coir and my own mix of pear with clay pebbles at the bottom for better drainage and to keep the roots from sitting in any wet soil I’ve had awesome results now and my palms stay potted year round 

palmsOrl

I like the fact that coco coir has antifungal properties and it is my medium of choice for rarer, more expensive palm seeds.

For Washingtonia robusta, I would use regular potting soil with at least 1/3 sand.

• Like 1

SilverDragon
1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

So I transplanted them and my A merrillii seedlings into larger, but not gallon sized, Terra Cotta pots. They are now in a location with dappled shade and will stay there to acclimate a bit before they go out front with the cacti. When I removed them from their jiffy pots, the bottom half of the soil was completely dry, despite me watering with a small watering can each time.

Edited by SilverDragon
  • Upvote 1

palmsOrl

Nice work.  I never liked those jiffy pots, they dry out so quickly and fall apart.  Dappled shade couldn’t hurt just to be on the safe side, though I suspect your robusta could handle full sun.

My 2 Adonidia seedlings, sprouted 6 weeks ago, are in full sun and are doing well, but part sun is safer for those.

PalmatierMeg

I agree your Washies should be outside during summer weather. If you put the Adonidias in terra cotta pots, monitor the soil diligently. Adonidia seedlings are not very drought tolerant and clay pots dry quickly in sun and summer heat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SilverDragon
10 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I agree your Washies should be outside during summer weather. If you put the Adonidias in terra cotta pots, monitor the soil diligently. Adonidia seedlings are not very drought tolerant and clay pots dry quickly in sun and summer heat.

Will do meg thanks