IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal x Brazoria?

Joe NC

I purchased this a few years ago as a Brazoria from a nursery that had many kinds of Sabal (ecotypes of palmetto & minor, green uresana, and brazoria) all mostly strap leaf in 3 gallon, not labeled but separated into groups.  I was directed to the Brazoria, picked one up and was on my way.

Now a few years later and my plant has palmate leaves, I'm thinking maybe I grabbed one of the minors that got accidentally placed with the Brazoria?

I think they maybe had Louisiana and some eastern nc giant type?  I don't remember exactly  but here is my palm.

20190629_095323.thumb.jpg.f2e4ed4f6660bfa539fe2d51bbf2523f.jpg

It usually holds 6ish leaves (most were shredded or crushed in hurricane last year), they are not very costapalmate, and is deeply split into a "v" shape

Looks mostly like the rest of my minors at this point, except maybe the petioles are slightly thinner?

Just curious because the last palm I purchased as an "x texensis" (I assumed meant brazoria) turned out to grow like a weed and has 8 feet of trunk now.  I'm guessing it's a mexicana or palmetto, but is not a Brazoria for sure.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Joe NC said:

I purchased this a few years ago as a Brazoria from a nursery that had many kinds of Sabal (ecotypes of palmetto & minor, green uresana, and brazoria) all mostly strap leaf in 3 gallon, not labeled but separated into groups.  I was directed to the Brazoria, picked one up and was on my way.

Now a few years later and my plant has palmate leaves, I'm thinking maybe I grabbed one of the minors that got accidentally placed with the Brazoria?

I think they maybe had Louisiana and some eastern nc giant type?  I don't remember exactly  but here is my palm.

20190629_095323.thumb.jpg.f2e4ed4f6660bfa539fe2d51bbf2523f.jpg

It usually holds 6ish leaves (most were shredded or crushed in hurricane last year), they are not very costapalmate, and is deeply split into a "v" shape

Looks mostly like the rest of my minors at this point, except maybe the petioles are slightly thinner?

Just curious because the last palm I purchased as an "x texensis" (I assumed meant brazoria) turned out to grow like a weed and has 8 feet of trunk now.  I'm guessing it's a mexicana or palmetto, but is not a Brazoria for sure.

Sabal texensis is synonymous with Sabal mexicana - one and the same.

Jon Sunder

Maybe Louisiana or Minor.  Notice the 'Vulcan' salute in the leaf with the two halves clearly divided from one another.  

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Now im confused Sabal Texensis is suppose to be a hybrid between S.Palmetto x S.Mexicana right ? Where S.mexicana is also called the Texas Sabal ? Then you have S.Brazoriensis which is S.Palmetto x from Brazoria county and RGV ? 

T J 

35 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Sabal texensis is synonymous with Sabal mexicana - one and the same.

Yeah... I bought that potted palm 10 years ago from somebody who called it a "Brazoria x texensis". They planted it from seed they bought 10 years before that called the same.  I think in 2009 when I bought it and googled it, there were still sites calling a x texensis the old name for Brazoria.  I'm pretty sure what I have is a Mexicana, but it hardly ever successfully sets fruit. 

10 minutes ago, JLeVert said:

Maybe Louisiana or Minor.  Notice the 'Vulcan' salute in the leaf with the two halves clearly divided from one another.  

Yeah that's what had me worried.  Hopefully a Louisiana, since I already  have nc minors seeding themselves all over, and I was hoping for something a little bigger for that spot.

Sabal brazoria are variable.  I have some that look like yours Joe.  

19 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

Sabal brazoria are variable.  I have some that look like yours Joe.  

Excellent!

In 2001 I grew 8 seedlings from the same seed batch and they’ve had different growth rates, variations in leaf form and one turned out to be less cold hardy than the rest- growing in Dallas, TX.  I removed the less cold hardy one and one other plant- the other six are still slowly growing. 

• 1 year later...

Sabal Brazoria grows along with Sabal Minor. 
I think a lot of people have the Sabal Minor that looks and grows nothing like Sabal Brazoria.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

7 minutes ago, kevin54500 said:

hello I am looking for seeds if some have the possibility of exchange or sales, see you soon

I have the true form of Sabal Brazoria. Where are you located and what did you have in exchange? Seeds won’t be available till Fall. I probably will grow them. I have  intended to but haven’t done far.

35001590-3D9C-4ED1-97A9-9B3509533F12.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

interestingly I am in France, I have seeds of trachycarpus princeps x wagnerianus.  Fortunei x princeps, wagnerianus .. syagrus santa Catarina, butia yatay, some yucca ...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kevin54500 said:

interestingly I am in France, I have seeds of trachycarpus princeps x wagnerianus.  Fortunei x princeps, wagnerianus .. syagrus santa Catarina, butia yatay, some yucca ...

Sounds good!

yes I am in zone 7b 8a, quite humid weather in winter with little sun, and dry summer, Nancy the north east of France we can talk in private