IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Early Summer Garden Pics

Chester B

After a pretty dry spring we had our first major rainfall in a while.  Over the last day and a half I recorded 1.5" of rain.  It's amazing how things perk up, even though I have been watering all along.  I started work on this garden in the spring of 2017 so it is entering its 3rd year now, and finally starting to look more filled out.  All that remains from when we first bought the house are a few sword ferns, the mimosa tree and some clematis.  The soil is heavy clay and in the winter is quite waterlogged so I have been trying to raise up the beds, improve drainage as well as use plants that can handle these conditions.  I still have a lot more work to do, and will begin on the next phase shortly but thought I'd share another PNW garden.  Thanks for looking!

20190628_170314272_iOS.jpg

20190628_170403318_iOS.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Not sure why the colors look so washed out.  I thought I had decent light, oh well..

2 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Not sure why the colors look so washed out.  I thought I had decent light, oh well..

Pictures ..and garden  look good to me..  Good combination of colors / textures. Reminds me of gardens i'd seen years ago around Santa Cruz, up in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Nice pics. Your garden is coming along well. You've done a good job of making it all look natural. I wish we could have sent some of our spring rain west this year. While you were dry, we were getting massive floods on nearby rivers. It's getting hotter and drier this week, but we got between 5 and 6 inches rain just last weekend. I rarely find myself wishing for less rain during the growing season, but I think most people around here are ready for the dry heat of midsummer.

Everything looks great!  You've done a fantastic job!

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Thanks everyone.  My goal is to create an overall aesthetic and not focus so much on individual plants.  The garden faces NW and is almost fully in shade during winter, so I have three species of Trachycarpus, a few needle palms and some sabals in the sunniest places.  My front has the nice southern exposure with better draining soil so that's where I can experiment more. There is a lot more to show from this garden, but it was getting a little pic heavy.   Behind the two biggest palms there is a second level that contain a variety of fruit trees and berry bushes.  Pakistan mulberry has been a heavy producer and I'm hoping next year to get fruit from the three paw paws that are at least 8' in height now.

Thanks for sharing your garden, looks great! Any non-palm companion favs? Is everything irrigated?

14 hours ago, Swolte said:

Thanks for sharing your garden, looks great! Any non-palm companion favs? Is everything irrigated?

Thanks!.  I think it changes each year as I discover new things.  I've planted a lot of evergreen ferns this year including the Giant chain fern which is like a tree fern without the trunk, and I have been planting more hardy fuschias.  There are a ton of hummingbirds here so they enjoy them.  I have one female Anna's hummingbird that is quite friendly that is not afraid to get within a couple feet of me.  This may sound crazy but I think she lets me know when she wants me to put on the fountain so she can have a bath.  

Last year I installed drip irrigation and I feel it's made a huge difference.  We can go almost 3 months without rain in the summer so it saves me a lot of time and helps to keep an even moisture.  I heavily mulch too.  After 3 years the soil conditions have improved drastically so the plants are now starting to thrive instead of struggle.

42 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

What types of Sabals are you growing?

In the ground, I have a few Sabal minor from Dallas, and two unknown Sabal minors.  The big one is huge, fronds are almost 4' around and I have to use a saw to cut off old ones.   The plant itself is 6' tall and even wider, it was identified on here as a regular Sabal minor.  In pots that I'm growing out are Sabal mexicana, Sabal minor "McCurtain and Sabal uresana.  Below is the picture of my first Sabal Minor three years in the ground from a small seedling.  Puts out 2-3 fronds a year but is more blue in color to the eye.  I'm also looking at S. causarium since there is that one in Seattle.   I'm redeveloping my front yard (again!) which faces south so plan on using a bunch there to see if I can get faster growth.

Small_Sabal_Minor.jpg