Karen717

Ailing Mediterranean Fan Palm

Karen717

Help! My chamaerops humilis is Bowed over at the top, with multiple stunted spears coming out of the crown but none of them opening properly. While searching for pests, Ive found something that I can’t identify in any palm pest sites. On the trunk at the woody petiole bases, there are a lot of random small round brown things that look like a seed or egg. They have very thin shells, and most of them are hollow with a hole (indicating exit of a larva?). I’ve also spotted a few small white squirming larvae buried deep under the petiole bases. These shells are also littering the soil at the base of the tree. What pest could this be? I’ve been trying insecticidal soap. Or could it be a boron deficiency? (Similar spear problems). I’ve been doing a lot of internet research, but I don’t have much real world experience with These. They have been flourishing until the past year.

kinzyjr

Hello @Karen717, you should have an easier time uploading photos.  If you can, that will likely help a lot.

Phoenikakias

I can not imagine  a Chamaerops suffering from boron deficiency! They are extremely hardy palms growing in some habitats within very poor soil.

Edited by Phoenikakias

Fusca
27 minutes ago, Karen717 said:

DDDAF0D4-D216-480F-891E-54F338CB2BD3.jpeg

B480058A-5583-4F1C-A523-A55ED772C742.jpeg

I'm not sure what the specific problem is, but if you have had this palm for some time now it should be acclimated.  Doubt that it's not getting enough water - maybe too much water in the crown from overhead watering?  Those small round things are old fruits from the palm.  It needs a male palm to produce viable seed.  Is the palm in a lot of shade?  Welcome to Palmtalk - I am sure you will soon have some good advice.

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Needs lots more sun. All the other stuff in the yard has grown up around it and blocks its access to sun and air flow. It is also blocked/shaded by that Sabal encroaching on/leaning over it. Clear away some of the overgrown vegetation to give it access to the sky. Looks like it has received too much rain/water.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• CYPALMS
      By CYPALMS
      it's been some time now i am thinking about which species would be suitable to grow in the actual mediterranean climate and so i thought to start with a list and let other members add or remove according to their own experiences.

For the purpose of this topic i would consider a mediterranean climate to have the following characteristics
      Winters with max lows of -2C/26F (very rare events) Summers with max highs 45C/113F Humidity on average around 75% with the exception of daytime hot dry winds in the summer Moderate winds Number of sunny days around 220 per year Now, i know that there are parts of the mediterranean which may vary somehow but i think that these characteristics should cover almost all areas.

In this list we can include of course all the common palms we see around everyday like Phoenix (canariensis, dactylifera, roebellini, theofrastii etc), Washingtonia, Syagrus, Archontophoenix (alexandrae and cunninghiama), Butia (capitata, eriospatha, odorata etc) Dypsis decaryi, Bismarckia nobilis, Howea forsteriana, Wodyetia bifurcata, Chamaerops, Trachycarpus fortunei, couple Livinstona species...

However, this is not the main aim of this topic. The aim is to put down a list of other than the aforementioned palms in order to make the possibilities of our climate visible and help also others to exploit it.

So here is a first list i have come up with so far:

Archontophoenix purpurea Areca macrocalyx (red crownshaft) Basselinia pancheri Beccariophoenix alfredii Bentinckia condapanna Brahea armata/edulis Burretiokentia vieillardii Chamaedorea elegans/ernesti-augustii/metallica Chambeyronia macrocarpa/hookeri Clinostigma ponapense/savoryanum Dypsis albofarinosa Dypsis baronii Dypsis decipiens Dypsis lanceolata Dypsis leptocheilos Euterpe edulis/oleracea Hyophorbe lagenicaullis Kentiopsis oliviformis/pyriformis Lanonia dasyantha Latania loddigesii Licuala peltata var. peltata Licuala ramsayi Pinanga caesia Roystonea oleracea/regia Satakentia liukiuensis The above list of course is not exhaustive but i think it contains some nice palms to be grown in the mediterranean.

Feel free to make corrections, additions and any comments that would help make it better.

George

• JasonD
      By JasonD
      Has anyone ever purchased this cactus species from a commercial source? It's native to the Mediterranean-climate region of Central Chile. In fact, it grows in habitat with Jubaea chilensis. At the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden it thrives next to burgeoning young Jubaeas, branching at the base to make 6-10' columns. I'm not sure whether they ever sell it at their plant sales.
      There aren't many tall columnar cactus whose habitat is such a perfect match to coastal Central California's. I'd love to see it in more gardens around here.
      It's common name in Chile appears to be quisco.
      Another versatile large columnar cactus that UC Berkeley has is Echinopsis terscheckii, which is available from many growers in California. It's from the Andes of northwest Argentina.
    • radicalis
      By radicalis
      Hello all. I’m a longtime lurker but first time poster. This forum is a great resource, and I’m hoping the SoCal folks here can help me select some palms for their climate.

My brother is purchasing a house in coastal San Diego (Sunset zone 24, USDA zone 10a-10b), and has recruited me to help him install a tropical-looking landscape. I’m very excited to get to grow palms, at least vicariously, in California. Here’s the thing: for a number of reasons, we don’t want to be using a ton of water for irrigation. Also, my brother is planning to move away after a few years and rent the property out. We are looking for palms that, once established, will grow reasonably well (not necessarily fast) without a ton of water, and which could potentially tolerate an accidental dry period if something happens to the irrigation system when he’s not around to supervise the property. I don't know anything about the soil yet, but we're expecting to have to amend it pretty well.

I was thinking that palms originating from Mediterranean climates (e.g. Brahea edulis, Chamaerops humilis, Jubaea chilensis, and Phoenix canariensis) might be more tolerant of summer drought, even if many of these get by in the wild by tapping into subterranean water sources. Washingtonias also seem to do well out there. But what are some more obscure, more tropical-looking palms that could do well for us? Slow-growing species are just fine.

We’d also appreciate recommendations for other drought-tolerant tropical-looking plants (Strelitzia? Wigandia? Ficus petiolaris?), but I know that’s off-topic so I’ll make another post in the ‘tropical-looking plants’ forum.

Thanks!