Sign in to follow this  
Estlander

Phoenix x (palm ID)

Estlander

Anyone know what cross this might be? It’s obviously Phoenix of some kind. What throws me off is the thickness of the trunks. It’s a suckering one so I’m thinking Phoenix Reclinata, but leaning heavily towards Canariensis. Normally Phoenix Reclinata crosses have thinner trunks. It’s in Destin (coastal FL panhandle). 

BF41053B-2308-4665-9AC0-2195E298CE7D.jpeg

Jeff985

Is it suckering or are they separate palms planted close together?  Also with it being a Phoenix, it could be a hybrid. Whatever it is, I want it. 

Estlander
3 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

Is it suckering or are they separate palms planted close together?  Also with it being a Phoenix, it could be a hybrid. Whatever it is, I want it. 

It’s definitely suckering as it had quite a few coming up from the ground. At some point it’s also had a slightly thicker center trunk that’s been now cut off at ground level. But yeah, whatever it is, it looks cool. 

I can get you seeds from it when they ripen, sometime around Sept-Oct.   :)

Edited by Estlander

Jeff985
12 minutes ago, Estlander said:

It’s definitely suckering as it had quite a few coming up from the ground. At some point it’s also had a slightly thicker center trunk that’s been now cut off at ground level. But yeah, whatever it is, it looks cool. 

I can get you seeds from it when they ripen, sometime around Sept-Oct.   :)

:greenthumb:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello all!! 
      I was at a local nursery last weekend and noticed a few of there canary island date palms had suckers growing from base/trunk. 
      From what i understand phoenix canariensis don't sucker. Any thoughts? 

• paquicuba
      By paquicuba
      Have a few "Phoenix Reclinatas" that I grew from seeds that a friend of mine gave me a couple of years ago. He swears that they're true to type, but after reading how easy they can get hybridize, I would like please an expert opinion (see attached images)
      Thanks so much!

• Estlander
      By Estlander
      Saw an interesting multi trunk Phoenix today in Destin. Must be a hybrid of some kind. My guess is Phoenix Canariensis and Phoenix Roebelenii hybrid. What say you!
      It was seeding too, so took a few and will try to germinate them. 

• Kris
      By Kris
      Dear Friends,
      This give me immense pleasure in welcoming you all to another palm planting work at Kris garden.This planting is so special for me due to more than one reason..I wish to give you an brief introduction as from where this phoenix palm came to me.This was among few phoenix palms that were sent to me as palm saplings by our forum member by name M@x,who lives in Rome,Italy.This palm was growing in our garden for few years now and everytime when i wanted to plant it on the ground i could not do due to some personal work or the other.
      Only now i was able to plant this baby in ground with the help of our forum friend Mr. Bo-Goran. And what more can a palm enthusiast ask for. Having 3 IPS members in our garden was moment worth to be cherished for a lifetime by me.My sincere thanks to Mr. Bo-Goran,Kim and Mr.Haresh for visiting our garden.And special thanks to Mr.Bo-Goran for planting this palm on our request.
      A brief description of this Hybrid Phoenix Reclinata Palm :  Phoenix Reclinata x Dactylifera x Roebelenii x Rupicola.
      For those who want to see some mature specimens of Phoenix Reclinata Palms and their details kindly visit the following links :
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Phoenix_reclinata
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_reclinata
      And stills and video of this work is posted in the following post.Hope you all like it.
      Thanks and Love,
      Kris.
    • Sandy Loam
      By Sandy Loam
      I recall a recent PalmTalk thread in which someone was seeking a cold-hardy substitute for a cocos nucifera.  One response provided by a PalmTalker was "phoenix reclinata".  

In my opinion, phoenix reclinata does not get a "coconutty" look until it is very mature and spreads its trunks out widely.  Below are some examples in photos.
      On this thread, please join me in by posting photos showing how a phoenix reclinata can have that much-sought-after coconut look, at least somewhat.  To my taste, the nicest ones are those with tall and arching trunks, often pruned to have only a few spaced-out trunks remaining.   

Here are some examples from a Tampa Bay (Florida) garden that I visited recently.   (click to enlarge photos)  .