IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to dig up and transplant my 6 foot Windmill palm in PA.

Oldmagoo

Does anyone know the best way to dig up my 6 foot tall trachy windmill palm and transplant it to another location? I'm here in southeast PA and the palm is 7 years old, about 6 foot trunk. Any suggestions would be great! 

• Like 1

Looks like the key is to get a decent sized root ball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0wX1Vmge74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejrMQbC2zzI

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Yes, as big a root ball that you can handle.   Better do it soon as it will need the rest of the growing season to re-establish.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

I read some study that almost all roots on a trachy are within 18" from the trunk.  Of course that's a huge root ball.  As big as possible lol

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

• 2 years later...

I am from just outside Philly (reading) and interested in how you ended up moving it.  Also, any thoughts on best ways to keep palm alive in winter once it exceeds 10 ft?  I used to tie back fronds, put Christmas lights on it, wrap in burlap and put a box over it and use greenhouse clear film along outside.  Its becoming too much of a chore (along with the other potted palms).  Tying back fronds, burlap and Christmas lights aren't a problem, but just want to make sure it doesn't die on me this winter if that's all i do.

14 hours ago, Justin-PA said:

I am from just outside Philly (reading) and interested in how you ended up moving it.  Also, any thoughts on best ways to keep palm alive in winter once it exceeds 10 ft?  I used to tie back fronds, put Christmas lights on it, wrap in burlap and put a box over it and use greenhouse clear film along outside.  Its becoming too much of a chore (along with the other potted palms).  Tying back fronds, burlap and Christmas lights aren't a problem, but just want to make sure it doesn't die on me this winter if that's all i do.

You don’t want to move it till spring.   Tying fronds and wrapping mini lights with burlap or frost cloth and using a thermocube will get you to 5-10F with possibly a little frond damage. Any less and you’ll need a pole up the middle with a cover or a structure.  

are you moving palm in same yard or a distance?

also what zone are you in?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

• 5 months later...

Allen - Thanks for the response.  My apologies for my late response (should have checked the "notify me of replies button).

I am in Zone 6b.  Ended up not moving the palm.  I was considering moving it over a few feet such that we don't walk into fronds along walkway to front door, but I do not believe it is worth the hassle.

In past winters, I have used the thermocube with christmas lights, but what seemed to work this year was wrapping pipe heater instead (has built in thermocube).  Also, I put a frost cover overtop and tied that down.  Much easier than the wooden box route.