Sign in to follow this  
Oldmagoo

How to dig up and transplant my 6 foot Windmill palm in PA.

Oldmagoo

Does anyone know the best way to dig up my 6 foot tall trachy windmill palm and transplant it to another location? I'm here in southeast PA and the palm is 7 years old, about 6 foot trunk. Any suggestions would be great! 

• Like 1

NCpalmqueen

Yes, as big a root ball that you can handle.   Better do it soon as it will need the rest of the growing season to re-establish.

Allen

I read some study that almost all roots on a trachy are within 18" from the trunk.  Of course that's a huge root ball.  As big as possible lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Estlander
      By Estlander
      Planted this Trachy in January this year. Otherwise looks good, but lately the spears have heen turning brown. The growing point smells very musty as well. No spear pulls yet. They’re still tightly in there.
      I hand water it (no sprinklers) and never get the growing point wet with tap water. 
      About a month ago, when i first saw dried out spots on an emerging spear, I sprayed it with copper fungicide, but looking at it yesterday it has gotten worse with two newest emerging spears looking pretty bad.
      I soaked the growing point with copper fungicide yesterday. 
      Considering that this is FL zone 9A with plenty of rain, heat and humid weather still left until cooler weather that these things prefer, do you think this is something that it can grow out of or should i just replace it with something else?
      I’m thinking a single trunk Chamaerops Humilis due to a limited space in that spot.
      In this spot it also gets a few hours of daytime sun, which may complicate things a bit too.
      I wish i had known how difficult these things are to grow and get them to look beautiful in FL before I bought it

• Brad1234565
      By Brad1234565
      Hi,
      Please help, I have three Washingtonia Robusta, I have researched online as much as I can but am seeing so much conflicting information.
      I brought 2 Washingtonia Robusta or mexican fan palms, and one pot had two growing in one, so I hosed down the root ball and untangled the roots and re potted, the two I split are in smaller 36 cm pots, and one I put into a large 60 cm barrel pot. They came 100cm in height, and looked nice and healthy. as soon as I re-potted them they immediately flopped over and the fronds all closed up.  the soil mix I looked up and mixed john innes no.3 and half all purpose compost, which was what recommended on a video I watched. I got a bag of miracle grow enriched compost , which I have since found out can give the roots burn due to slow realized fertilizer in the soil. the plants are looking really bad. I don't have a clue what to do, I read something that it could be transplant shock so bare with it, somethings saying to water it every day some saying to let the soil dry.
      Please any advise would be really appreciated, Just want them to be health as possible.

I am in the south of the UK so the climate should be fine for them until winter when I was plant to bring them in the house.

• kbob11
      By kbob11
      I bought this bare rooted windmill a couple of weeks ago and it looked great aside from a few bent fronds. I skipped one day watering and came home to it looking awful and shriveled. The center spear is still firm but all of the fronds are looking more and more dead by the day. Is this a really bad case of transplant shock? The soil and pot are well draining and I put in some slow release palm fertilizer. Thoughts? I really hope it pulls through.

• floridanewbie
      By floridanewbie
      Hi! First post on here  My husband purchased and planted this sylvester last week. If I recall correctly, when just bought, a couple of its fronds were brownish. Initially we planted it too deep but amended that (we have a small tractor so we've been able to do the work ourselves.) Now we're concerned that she's (i affectionately refer to her as "Greeny") not getting enough water/is planted incorrectly. Can anybody take a look and tell me what they think? I know transplant shock is common, but we really want to do the best we can to minimize it. Location is Central Florida, south of Orlando. Also, on the picture it may seem like the root ball is entirely underground, but we made sure it's at least 2 inches above ground (per our research, hopefully this is correct!) The rootball is irregular in shape so it's difficult to gauge accurately.  Here are the pictures: https://imgur.com/a/nsJK9

Thank you for any input!  
    • Nj Palms
      By Nj Palms
      Hey all I created this forum for people in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic to discuss and banter about palms in our region!Post any sightings in stores or your own.Any interesting things about palms is also accepted, and of course any questions or concerns are more than welcome to be posted on this sub forum!Thanks for all the information you guys provide.