IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pacific volcano eruption

Rickybobby

I hear in the pacific rim of fire a huge volcano has erupted and the weather people say the ash is coming for North America. This could be the end of our heat wave and nothing but rain all summer!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

I hear in the pacific rim of fire a huge volcano has erupted and the weather people say the ash is coming for North America. This could be the end of our heat wave and nothing but rain all summer!

Credible Source(s) of information?  Haven't heard of any major events lately... 

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Credible Source(s) of information?  Haven't heard of any major events lately... 

https://abc7chicago.com/travel/video-volcano-erupts-spewing-gas-ash-into-the-air/5351590/

https://watchers.news/2019/06/18/popocatepetl-eruption-june-17-2019/

Edited by NorCalKing

1 minute ago, NorCalKing said:

Thanks, That event has been ongoing for a few months.. 

Only other eruption of any mention was up in Russia over the weekend.. From what i have read, max height of the Plume only reached 36K ft at its peak and  Ash will likely  disperse over the Ocean, maybe reaching north / central Alaska ..if its not completely rained out as it gets wrapped up in a Low passing over the area.  Same Volcano has had some people freaking out about it waking up after it was thought to be extinct..  Appears to be Just another pile of rocks letting off some steam. 

Gotta have an eruption like Pinatubo to inject enough material high enough to have any effect on global weather patterns.. Ash/ smoke, etc which remains under 40-50K ft  generally doesn't remain suspended long enough up there to have any significant longer term influence. 

• Upvote 1

If you open the 2nd link this was over 42,000 feet. Besides I'm a member at some pretty dialed in weather forums, and there is plenty of discussion on how this eruption from 6 days ago may indeed effect global weather patterns. Nothing significant, but certainly will have an influence.

"Powerful eruptions at Popocatepetl volcano, ash to 12.8 km (42 000 feet) a.s.l., Mexico"

Edited by NorCalKing

42 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

If you open the 2nd link this was over 42,000 feet. Besides I'm a member at some pretty dialed in weather forums, and there is plenty of discussion on how this eruption from 6 days ago may indeed effect global weather patterns. Nothing significant, but certainly will have an influence.

"Powerful eruptions at Popocatepetl volcano, ash to 12.8 km (42 000 feet) a.s.l., Mexico"

Was actually referring to the Raikoke eruption on Saturday, not Popocatepetl. Plume height did reach 43K ft on that event however.. 

Interesting, no mention among any of the climate / weather people i follow regarding any possible effects anywhere from Popocatepetl.  

What is.. and will continue to effect the weather for the time being is the on-going, persistent -NAO -AO blocking in the Arctic, and the wave #7 pattern atm.

6 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Was actually referring to the Raikoke eruption on Saturday, not Popocatepetl. Plume height did reach 43K ft on that event however.. 

Interesting, no mention among any of the climate / weather people i follow regarding any possible effects anywhere from Popocatepetl.  

What is.. and will continue to effect the weather for the time being is the on-going, persistent -NAO -AO blocking in the Arctic, and the wave #7 pattern atm.

Yeaah... climate change.

:greenthumb:

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)