IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brazilian Apple Banana

Ben in Norcal

About how long do these take to fully mature fruit from this stage? I want to move these bananas, but if I have time to fully develop fruit by the time the growing season is over (November) - I may hold off.

Appreciate any thoughts as I am relatively new to fruiting these out!

F322B0C7-4CCA-4505-B0C0-357E8A59B15C.jpeg

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

BTW - it will be 85+ here until Halloween, essentially - if weather plays a factor!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Of course each variety is unique and weather, water and fertilization play key factors.   That said, I have a Big Mike that was at that stage (here in SoCal) back in March.  

Based on progress to-date I MIGHT get some edible and mature fruit before the growing season ends.

If I were in your shoes, I would hold off moving that plant until you have harvested.  But that may be next year.

I have a Manzano but have yet for it to fruit.   So I could be way off in this specific case.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Hammer said:

Of course each variety is unique and weather, water and fertilization play key factors.   That said, I have a Big Mike that was at that stage (here in SoCal) back in March.  

Based on progress to-date I MIGHT get some edible and mature fruit before the growing season ends.

If I were in your shoes, I would hold off moving that plant until you have harvested.  But that may be next year.

I have a Manzano but have yet for it to fruit.   So I could be way off in this specific case.

Hmmm...less promising than I was hoping for.  I have another manzano I am almost a year into waiting on the fruit for, but I was hoping the timing here was better.

Ben Rogers

On 6/24/2019 at 8:14 AM, Ben in Norcal said:

Hmmm...less promising than I was hoping for.  I have another manzano I am almost a year into waiting on the fruit for, but I was hoping the timing here was better.

Here's a site that makes up for in information what it lacks in design and layout. Hope it helps.

http://webebananas.com/culture.html

• Like 1

3 months .. am eating some now

• Like 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

On 6/23/2019 at 11:51 AM, Ben in Norcal said:

I want to move these bananas, but if I have time to fully develop fruit by the time the growing season is over (November) - I may hold off.

You can have it both ways.  Leave the fruiting trunk and dig up a smaller start to transplant to your new spot.  As far as how long it will take, we all can weigh in but its largely dependent on your climate.  After an exceptionally cool and wet winter down here, we have had one of the Greyest May's and Gloomiest Junes on the coast in the last couple of decades.  I have a couple of banana trunks that were big enough to start producing flowers a couple of months ago if we had our normal heat but they are moving slower than normal due to the absence of heat.  They would have provided fruit by early Autumn if they were already producing flowers and fruit, but now there won't be enough time for them to flower, fruit and ripen before days shorten and temps drop.  I would be pretty optimistic that if you get plenty of heat you may still have time up there.  For now, mine are just for shading some other plants and a home for some nesting Hooded Orioles who create a hanging pouch on the underside of the leaves.  Here is the male on his way to the nest with a little snack (spider) for the chicks.  The banana leaves shred nicely into the strings which they weave into the nest.  Meanwhile the banana plants create a little more filtered light for my Burretiokentia hapala!

20190627-LI9A7952.jpg

20190627-LI9A7943.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

You can have it both ways.  Leave the fruiting trunk and dig up a smaller start to transplant to your new spot.  As far as how long it will take, we all can weigh in but its largely dependent on your climate.  After an exceptionally cool and wet winter down here, we have had one of the Greyest May's and Gloomiest Junes on the coast in the last couple of decades.  I have a couple of banana trunks that were big enough to start producing flowers a couple of months ago if we had our normal heat but they are moving slower than normal due to the absence of heat.  They would have provided fruit by early Autumn if they were already producing flowers and fruit, but now there won't be enough time for them to flower, fruit and ripen before days shorten and temps drop.  I would be pretty optimistic that if you get plenty of heat you may still have time up there.  For now, mine are just for shading some other plants and a home for some nesting Hooded Orioles who create a hanging pouch on the underside of the leaves.  Here is the male on his way to the nest with a little snack (spider) for the chicks.  The banana leaves shred nicely into the strings which they weave into the nest.  Meanwhile the banana plants create a little more filtered light for my Burretiokentia hapala!

20190627-LI9A7952.jpg

20190627-LI9A7943.jpg

Thanks Tracy.  My averages are 88 degrees for July, 87 for August, 85 for September, and 77 for October...so maybe I have a shot?

Ben Rogers

3 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

My averages are 88 degrees for July, 87 for August, 85 for September, and 77 for October...so maybe I have a shot?

I think there is a good chance.  Relative to transplanting shoots, I have dug some offshoots pretty small (2' tall).  I just pop them off with a shovel and plant them in their new home very unceremoniously and never had one not take.  Banana plants are hardy buggers if you have enough warmth and give them plenty to drink.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation