IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can palms recover from severe pencil-pointing?

palmsOrl

This is one of the palms I saved from my dad’s old house.   As mentioned in another thread, I think it is Archontophoenix, but I had many palms, so it could be something like Chambeyronia I suppose.  It is really tough to tell with it in its current condition.

The palm is now receiving ample fertilizer and water and has ideal summer growing conditions.  Can palms like this with severe chronic pencil-pointing recover?   I am thinking that, given enough time and care, it will start to grow normally and just have a constricted trunk where the pencil-pointing occurred.  

C1914929-3182-4138-9486-1A9DCCE8B4B3.jpeg

Looks like archontopheonix to me. Definitely not chambeyronia from what I can tell in this pic. The leaflets are two narrow and spaced close together for chambeyronia. Chambeyronia leaflets would be much wider and spaced farther apart. Very leathery too.

As for surviving, I will give an optimistic thumbs up. Have you marked the spear? Is it still growing? Hopefully it hasn’t “pencil pointed” to the point it will easily snap where trunk and crown shaft come together. Good luck.

• Upvote 2

It will grow but the thin point of the damage will always be there.Here's a bunch of date palms lining a street that they cut ALL the fronds off a dozen or more years ago.100 plus trees,ALL of them pencil pointed after that.Even now,they still overtrim...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20190623_130817391.jpg

IMG_20190623_130726781.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

more...  (cloudy haze in the background is actually smoke from what is now Arizona's 6th biggest wildfire ever)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20190623_130650679.jpg

IMG_20190623_130611617.jpg

Edited by aztropic
  • Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Yuck, why do they do that to those poor palms?  The Gerg, thank you for the reply.  I didn't mark the emerging spear, but I can tell it has moved a bit in the last month.  I am sure the palm will recover with time and just have the awkward constriction in the trunk.  Perhaps the most surprising thing, being an Archontophoenix, is that it survived the transplant.

7 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

Contractors like that oughta be drawn and quartered.

At least tarred and feathered. 

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, aztropic said:

more...  (cloudy haze in the background is actually smoke from what is now Arizona's 6th biggest wildfire ever)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20190623_130650679.jpg

IMG_20190623_130611617.jpg

There has been a lot of wild fires in northern. Canada and the jet stream has been bringing the particulate which is why we are forecasted for a wetter than usual summer 

• Upvote 1

Plants make a lot of their food through photosynthesis.Take away their green,especially during a prime growing period and they starve,resulting in minimal growth till they get reestablished.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

On 6/27/2019 at 1:11 AM, aztropic said:

Plants make a lot of their food through photosynthesis.Take away their green,especially during a prime growing period and they starve,resulting in minimal growth till they get reestablished.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I was not aware of this, thank you for the information.

I gave the palm some Dynamite fertilizer last week and have been watering heavily and the spear is really moving now.

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2019 at 7:11 PM, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I think it might be because of the palms being monocothyledons, that this happends.

• Upvote 1

I guess the good ferilizer agreed with this palm, here it is today.  Just a shame it is going to have such a weak point forever.

2F54A16F-1C88-49E9-87D3-7842CA9AC594.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I guess the answer to the question posed by this this thread is...yes.  With all the water and fertilizer, you can see that the trunk under the bottom of the crown shaft above the narrowest point is thickening up and new leaves are being produced at a good clip.

10464B37-5B56-4E56-91D7-3DC1C917765E.jpeg

BE39E4A7-7AA6-4D10-97F9-6DE52DDC0109.jpeg

• Like 1