IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sago Palm for Raleigh NC, Zone 7B

knikfar

I'd love to find a variety of Sago palm that will survive Raleigh winters. I've read about Cycas taitungensis and it's extreme cold hardiness so I've ordered a pack of five seeds. Does anyone have experience with this variety of sago or other varieties here in Zone 7B? 

Tried the more common ago in 7a and honestly anything lower than z9 temps seemed to hurt it. Had a smaller more protected placement survive into low z8a temps but finally gave up.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Sagos should be root hardy in zone 7b NC. Zamia floridiana, especially populations found in Georgia should be root hardy in 7b as well. Most cycads act "deciduous" in NC and lose their leaves when it drops below 15ºF but will rejuvenate new leaves in the spring. 

• Like 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

I've only grown the sago you get at the regular stores.  I had one that was about 15 years old before a car landed on it after being pushed out of the driveway by floodwaters.  I have another I planted 3 years ago and is doing just fine.  This one is against the house, away from the driveway.

• Like 1

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

21 hours ago, knikfar said:

that will survive Raleigh winters. I've read about Cycas taitungensis and it's extreme cold hardiness so I've ordered a pack of five seeds. Does anyone have experience with this variety of sago or other varieties here in Zone 7B? 

A sago palm is a Cycas revoluta cycad.  I *think* what you are asking is what type of cycad would grow??  Raleigh is a big area....downtown Raleigh can be seen as a z8 most of the time.  A C.revoluta might last more than a couple of years in a good microclimate.  C.taitungensis are a bit hardier and depending on your microclimate, may also last longer than a few years.  

After trying to grow palms and cycads for 20 years (Apex & Siler City) , the only one that showed long-term possibility was Cycas panzhihuaensis in my local (z7b outside of Raleigh).  I did not have the advantage of the city heat island, so if you do, I'd try all three!  Pick a sunny sheltered spot for them.   There are some others that might prove successful, but I'd start with the 3 above first.

• Upvote 1

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

I suggest C. taitungensis  and C. taitungensis x revoluta if you want ones that will actually increase in size at a reasonable rate despite losing their leaves every winter. C.  panzhihuaensis is definitely more leaf hardy but will grow more slowly than the other two.