IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Problem accessing PALMS journal back issues

Jono Miller

I'm trying to access Kyle Brown's pieces on Sabal palmetto that appeared in 1976. However, when I search I get a header with that year and no content (see attached example). I'm using a MacBook Pro running Safari, but have also tried Google Chrome.

I don't know what issue/issues his work appeared in, other that 1976. I may be searching incorrectly, or there may be a software problem. Any insights are appreciated. 

Also, is the journal searchable? If so, how? 

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 2.22.16 PM.png

This site is brand new and some bugs are being worked out. I confirmed that issue is blank for me as well and reported the problem.

You should have a Search box visible on the "main" Journal page - for searching for specific "issues." I don't know if the contents are searchable - if that is what you mean?

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Sorry - I edited my initial reply before you answered. 

Forum Members do not have access to Journals - only IPS Members. Are you an International Palm Society Member? If so, you must log in using those credentials on the palms.org site.

Okay, maybe I am trying to come in the wrong way. I am an IPS member. Let me give it a rip. 

That is probably not the problem since you would have received an error message instead. As mentioned in my edited response - it is blank for me as well and has been reported. Just to help us out - do you have access to other Journals, or is it just that one?

Note that I have changed your designation to IPS Member on the Forum.

I'm not having other problems.. glad it is not just me.  So once it is back up, how would you suggest filling in these fields?  

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 4.47.33 PM.png

I don't know - I pulled up some other Volumes from the drop down and they came up blank as well. As mentioned, it has been reported. Please be patient - this new site is not yet 24 hours old. :)

Can you try now please? Thanks. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Yes< i did on June 24. Didn't get anything, but I'm confused about how to fill in the search fields. I know it is one of the 1976 issues, but not which one.  

Developer has been sent this as I reproduce it. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 1:52 PM, LJG said:

Developer has been sent this as I reproduce it. 

Okay, I'm trying the patience model, but I really need to wrap things up for my Editor in the next couple of weeks. Are others having problems accessing old PALMS journals? Should I try with Chrome, instead of Safari? What are you learning about the problem and the trajectory for a fix?  Jono

We are moving host. Godaddy limited the resources that when we ran the indexing script it took 8 days to do 30% of the journals. The host move began yesterday, so the developer should start indexing. The old site only let you search by issue and year. Once the indexing is done, you can search by keyword. So it is worth the hassle. 

If you need the 4 1976 journals, email our admini Ari for this at avassallo@stansfeldllc.com. She can manually send you the PDFs.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len;  the new site does not allow me to log in.  The old platform had a 6 digit number for the user name and my surname as the password,  There seems to be no way to log in now unless one is paying for a new membership. ( I am a life member for many years.)  It does seem to allow a password change or reminder but there is nothing about how to establish a user name for an existing IPS member.  I sent an email within the 'contact us' part of the new homepage, but no response. Perhaps they are still busy with the changeover ?  Thanks for any advice,  :)

San Francisco, California

48 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Len;  the new site does not allow me to log in.  The old platform had a 6 digit number for the user name and my surname as the password,  There seems to be no way to log in now unless one is paying for a new membership. ( I am a life member for many years.)  It does seem to allow a password change or reminder but there is nothing about how to establish a user name for an existing IPS member.  I sent an email within the 'contact us' part of the new homepage, but no response. Perhaps they are still busy with the changeover ?  Thanks for any advice,  :)

Hi Darold, if you didn’t have a up-to-date email address on file with IPS, you won’t be able to use the password system. In my reply above I put Ari’s contact info. She can reset passwords and update emails for you. You can call her too. Contact is on the website. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

Ok, thanks Len

It’s not a bug. We just had a super old system we migrated from. One that never required current emails. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Are we getting a feel for when the Palms journal back issues will be accessible? A week? A month? Or too soon to tell? 

3 hours ago, Jono Miller said:

Are we getting a feel for when the Palms journal back issues will be accessible? A week? A month? Or too soon to tell? 

They have been available if you take the time to scroll to the journal you need. There is a “older entries” link at bottom of page that takes you to next group. Not ideal, but will get you to the journals archived. Also, I gave you the person you can contact in comment above to have it sent directly to you. Not sure when the search will be done as the developer hasn’t responded. Sorry, wish I knew more. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

18 hours ago, Jono Miller said:

Appears the fix will take a while. We have to manually change the data. Sorry.  Just have to scroll for now. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Hey, I got a lot of of the scrolling -- found things I would have missed otherwise. And once you start scrolling you can "skip ahead' by changing the final number in the address. For instance, https://palms.org/resources/palms-journal/page/18/ will take you to Vol. 12 #1 jan '68 through Vol. 9 #1 jan '65. If you change the 18 to 19 you go back another tranche.

And here's a tip: if you hit DOWNLOAD THIS ISSUE, it doesn't download the issue, it simply brings it so you can save it as a pdf.  

Finally some links don't work, an example (for me anyway) was The "White Palmetto" by Jack Cook Vol 15, #2 April 71.  

This is a great resource, worth waiting for the upgrade. Keep the faith. 

4 hours ago, Jono Miller said:

Hey, I got a lot of of the scrolling -- found things I would have missed otherwise. And once you start scrolling you can "skip ahead' by changing the final number in the address. For instance, https://palms.org/resources/palms-journal/page/18/ will take you to Vol. 12 #1 jan '68 through Vol. 9 #1 jan '65. If you change the 18 to 19 you go back another tranche.

And here's a tip: if you hit DOWNLOAD THIS ISSUE, it doesn't download the issue, it simply brings it so you can save it as a pdf.  

Finally some links don't work, an example (for me anyway) was The "White Palmetto" by Jack Cook Vol 15, #2 April 71.  

This is a great resource, worth waiting for the upgrade. Keep the faith. 

Thanks for letting me know, as I’ll pass it along. Just an FYI, we are manually cutting and pasting to do the indexing now. It is painful, but sadly, the only way to get the journals indexed. This means taking all data off each PDF and putting it into the software we use to index. Once done, it will be great, as we have never had the ability to search and find content by keywords before. Thanks for bearing with us..

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin