IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Senoran Desert National Monument worth a visit?

Palmensammler

Hi,

My wife and I will be in southern Arizona and New Mexico in autumn. We're starting in Phoenix and will drive south. Is the Senoran Desert National Monument worth to make a detour or is it better to visit only the Saguaro National Park? From what I have seen on Maps there's more or less only the Phoenix Bypass road where you can drive with the RV.

Can someone confirm this or tell me if it's worth a drive by visit?

Thanks

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

9 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi,

My wife and I will be in southern Arizona and New Mexico in autumn. We're starting in Phoenix and will drive south. Is the Senoran Desert National Monument worth to make a detour or is it better to visit only the Saguaro National Park? From what I have seen on Maps there's more or less only the Phoenix Bypass road where you can drive with the RV.

Can someone confirm this or tell me if it's worth a drive by visit?

Thanks

Eckhard

Eckhard,

Both are worth a visit ..though the monument is located in a pretty remote area of the state compared to Saguaro. Can be quite a bit warmer out there vs the Park / Tucson area in general as well.  I'd make the Monument a day trip, vs  spending a day or two exploring Saguaro, depending on where you stay while in Tucson / how long you're planning to visit.. There are two sections of the park, each presenting different things to see..   Keep in mind, there is also San Xavier Mission, the Campus Arboretum ( located on the University of Arizona's Campus ) Reid Park Zoo, Tucson Botanical, Tohono Chul Park, and the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum to visit also while in town there.. Let alone access to the nearby Mountains ( Mt. Lemmon, Santa Ritas, etc..)

Compared to Phoenix, Tucson area is a lot smaller and it is easier to get around to various places to visit.. 

Depending on when in Autumn you will be visiting, weather can still be warm, though its not nearly as hot as right now.. IF our Monsoon season is good this year, especially going into the fall, desert and grassland / Oak woodland areas of far southern AZ can be quite green. At the same time, Cooling temperatures in the mountains can stimulate fall coloring of some of the trees up there..  Tucson / S.E. AZ, and most of New Mexico will surely be cooler than here in Phoenix at that time, especially the evenings..  Fall and Spring are THE best seasons for exploring/ hiking here.. In Fall, you're more likely to see a lot of critters you might not see if here in the Spring..

Mountain areas south of Tucson are high on places to visit while here also, particularly if into Bird / Wildlife watching.. 

Hope this helps. Enjoy your journey through the desert.

• Upvote 1

Hi Eckhard, I use to live in Tucson in the early 80's.  The Saguaro National Park east & west of Tucson is very beautiful, especially if you have never seen the grand Saguaro cacti.  It is hot, but humidity is like 7%.  You will sweat, but not really not know it, because it evaporates so fast.  Go to Gates Pass (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60950-d561949-Reviews-Gates_Pass-Tucson_Arizona.htmlin West Tucson around sunset, and you will see one hell of a spectacular sunset.  Don't forget the wine.  If you want to go for a good hike, try Seven Falls Trail in Sabino Canyon (NE Tucson) http://ruinyourknees.com/adventure-reports/seven-falls-hike-guide-tucson-arizona/ .   Great authentic Mexican food in South Tucson, yes that's where the real mexicans live.  If you get too hot, drive up Mt Lemon in North Tuscon.  nice & cool up there and spectacular drive.  Yes, it is worth the trip.  Have a good time.