IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

View from the shower

redant

I love taking a shower on a beautiful morning. Probably go through to much water though.

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5733.jpg

• Like 19
  • Upvote 3

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

:greenthumb:

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

This is my view. 

0A3BB08D-0852-4920-8D08-FFEC4ADB4D81.thumb.jpeg.21edee59d64e1146d6a47110ec8cd91e.jpeg

• Like 6

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Beautiful view!  I must admit that I was really reluctant to click on this topic...not knowing what part of the shower you were photographing.  :floor2:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sur4z said:

This is my view. 

0A3BB08D-0852-4920-8D08-FFEC4ADB4D81.thumb.jpeg.21edee59d64e1146d6a47110ec8cd91e.jpeg

It's great putting the flamethrowers where you can really enjoy them.

Jupiter FL

That heading is just click bait.  :-) 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

22 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

That heading is just click bait.  :-) 

Ok next time I hit the button to reverse the camera :huh: 

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

Outdoor shower, anyone? I love the idea.

This open concept is at a hotel on Lombok Island, Indonesia.

DSC_0428.thumb.jpg.3a1c6a1d3feac9f49224ffae52835125.jpg DSC_0431.thumb.jpg.20678525f0dfb7ab52b770e0d2906022.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

2 hours ago, redant said:

It's great putting the flamethrowers where you can really enjoy them.

Absolutely!  I am keeping one of my larger flamethrowers and a couple of Dictyosperma Rubrum aside for when I finally finish the flower beds outside my computer room window.  I have a nice Beccariophoenix Alfredii in the center and am building my favorite plants and palms around it.  :) 

26 minutes ago, Kim said:

Outdoor shower, anyone? I love the idea.

Yes and I love to use it.  Here is the view looking at the shower.  The Dypsis robusta is starting to peak at me as you can see.  The view looking out isn't bad either, I'll have to get in with the camera soon to capture the view.

20190616-104A3985.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

One of my favorite palms (although there are many of those) is in the 3rd pic above the brown door. Give it a guess.

Jupiter FL

1 hour ago, redant said:

One of my favorite palms (although there are many of those) is in the 3rd pic above the brown door. Give it a guess.

Is it Dictyosperma album?

Not Album. Furfuraceum. And it is a winner.

Edited by kurt decker
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, redant said:

I love taking a shower on a beautiful morning. Probably go through to much water though.

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5733.jpg

I want a shower like yours. My shower just overlooks an opposing wall.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

17 hours ago, Tracy said:

Here is the view looking at the shower.  The Dypsis robusta is starting to peak at me as you can see.  The view looking out isn't bad either, I'll have to get in with the camera soon to capture the view.

So the view looking out of this shower.  Although it's outside, I use it more than the indoor one because its so convenient when coming back from a surf or working in the yard and it has hot water!!!  So I did cheat and open the door so I didn't have part of the shower door blocking the lower part of the view outside.  Dypsis onilahensis hybrid is hiding a Dypsis crinita on the other side.  Since the onilahensis hybrid is faster growing, I'll eventually see the salmon colored new leaves of the crinita below the onilahensis.  My Dypsis prestoniana towers over the nice blue Encephalartos princeps, with some green Encephalartos down below to allow the blue one to jump out.

20190619-104A3992.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, kurt decker said:

Not Album. Furfuraceum. And it is a winner.

Kurt wins. This is a really awesome palm for FL. Smaller, tropical, easy to grow. Really need to see people plant more of these. Mine has only seeded once and I only got 1 to germinate. 

• Like 2

Jupiter FL

1 minute ago, Tracy said:

So the view looking out of this shower.  Although it's outside, I use it more than the indoor one because its so convenient when coming back from a surf or working in the yard and it has hot water!!!  So I did cheat and open the door so I didn't have part of the shower door blocking the lower part of the view outside.  Dypsis onilahensis hybrid is hiding a Dypsis crinita on the other side.  Since the onilahensis hybrid is faster growing, I'll eventually see the salmon colored new leaves of the crinita below the onilahensis.  My Dypsis prestoniana towers over the nice blue Encephalartos princeps, with some green Encephalartos down below to allow the blue one to jump out.

20190619-104A3992.jpg

That's an awesome outdoor shower view.

Jupiter FL

That's a great view, Tracy, and it's only going to get better with time. Exactly what I need in Hawaii.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Here's the D. Furfuraceum from outside

IMG_5738.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Jupiter FL

I was going to ask what palm species that is in the third pic! It really grabbed my attention!! :wub: Must find a grower and purchase a couple. I know nothing about Dictyosperma. Are they rare? May I ask where you found yours?

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

20190619-104A3992.jpg

That Dypsis prestoniana is a sight! Do you think it's too wet in S. FL to grow it?

This is the view from my shower. The back of my house faces a steep hill which is now a real jungle.8E00F906-F037-4FB2-97CF-6B2F053FED8F.thumb.jpeg.cbf194cc153f984305299cef64ecfe26.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

59 minutes ago, Really full garden said:

This is the view from my shower. The back of my house faces a steep hill which is now a real jungle.8E00F906-F037-4FB2-97CF-6B2F053FED8F.thumb.jpeg.cbf194cc153f984305299cef64ecfe26.jpeg

I spot a variegated fishtail there.

Jupiter FL

1 hour ago, Missi said:

I was going to ask what palm species that is in the third pic! It really grabbed my attention!! :wub: Must find a grower and purchase a couple. I know nothing about Dictyosperma. Are they rare? May I ask where you found yours?

I honestly don't remember. I have 3 in my yard, one of 3 places I'm guessing, South FL palm sale, Jeff Marcus or Jeff Searle's. I hardly ever see them in FL.

Edited by redant
  • Like 1

Jupiter FL

11 minutes ago, redant said:

I spot a variegated fishtail there.

You are correct. The original plant got too large and blocked the view so I cut it out. Up on the hill are some Foxtail and Dypsis onilahensis weeping form.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

2 hours ago, Missi said:

That Dypsis prestoniana is a sight! Do you think it's too wet in S. FL to grow it?

I found Jeff Searle's list for "Dypsis known to survive in S FL" and Prestoniana is on it.  There was also one growing fine at Leu Gardens in 2011, though I don't know if it's still doing well.  It seems like it's worth a shot, and it's a really nice palm!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I found Jeff Searle's list for "Dypsis known to survive in S FL" and Prestoniana is on it.  There was also one growing fine at Leu Gardens in 2011, though I don't know if it's still doing well.  It seems like it's worth a shot, and it's a really nice palm!

Mine was grown in Florida before it was brought to So Cal and I planted it in 2014.  I'm not sure where in Florida it was grown, but they are faster there than here in So Cal.

• Like 1

I’ve got a few 1 gallon Dictyosperma furfuraceum. They aren’t real big at this point but they sure are stellar! 

• Like 1

I see 'furfuraceum' is an old name. Mine came from Floribunda labeled that way, but the current name is Dictyosperma album v. conjugatum.

I know; picky, picky! 

656215917_ScreenShot2019-06-19at8_46_19PM.thumb.png.10fadb316e8caba7a9398f38d8a15dcf.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

9 hours ago, Kim said:

I see 'furfuraceum' is an old name. Mine came from Floribunda labeled that way, but the current name is Dictyosperma album v. conjugatum.

I know; picky, picky! 

656215917_ScreenShot2019-06-19at8_46_19PM.thumb.png.10fadb316e8caba7a9398f38d8a15dcf.png

Yeah I wasn't sure which is the present name. 

Jupiter FL

Here’s the view from my upper bathroom shower window 

from the left; so many palms so much to edit Rhopie sapida right center 

E47A1F62-9DF9-4571-81CD-3ED8ACFC1CF2.thumb.jpeg.1c513054a29683062c5b13c2af7dba95.jpeg

Off to the right; K-opsis Ollie hawging the view

0033DD83-8AFF-4ED5-BA49-66C85C4F8A8C.thumb.jpeg.de3e9e2d5805f0deb2fce7a099758d9d.jpeg

• Like 5

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:36 PM, Kim said:

I know; picky, picky! 

No, not picky at all! I thank you for posting this! I looked it up on Palmpedia yesterday and noticed that. It confused me! 

On 6/18/2019 at 12:19 PM, Merlyn2220 said:

Beautiful view!  I must admit that I was really reluctant to click on this topic...not knowing what part of the shower you were photographing.  :floor2:

Same. Beautiful view though :lol:

• Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 1:13 PM, Laaz said:

Just beware of Creepy Joe...  :floor:

2v9p737.jpg

Looks a lot like Johnny Carson

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 years later...
On 6/19/2019 at 11:51 AM, Kim said:

That's a great view, Tracy, and it's only going to get better with time. Exactly what I need in Hawaii.

An update of the view with a little twist.  The fisheye view.  So Kim, have you gotten around to installing an outdoor shower in the Hawaii home yet?  Besides using it post surfing (yes, it has hot water), they are great for after working in the yard when you are really dirty.  My wife used to make me take off the dirty clothes before coming inside at the old house.  Now I can get all cleaned up after a hard days work in the garden before entering the house.  The dogs love the hot shower too, much better than washing them down with a cold hose.

20220128-BH3I6692.jpg

20220128-BH3I6693.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tracy said:

So Kim, have you gotten around to installing an outdoor shower in the Hawaii home yet?  Besides using it post surfing (yes, it has hot water), they are great for after working in the yard when you are really dirty.  

Oh! The outdoor shower plan, yes! I enjoyed my first outdoor showers in Hawaiian sunshine in January 2021. Best addition to my property yet! So important for after working in the garden, when very grubby head to toe and possibly carrying a fire ant or two on the clothing! 
DE27DB19-8322-4F98-82AC-7FB6A5D46894.thumb.jpeg.9b79fb4292f5976b4af7d8398466f7e6.jpeg

234A99D7-0CF6-44D7-A087-345E4829006E.thumb.jpeg.9deae20d0bde10be2e3c30a351d90ac6.jpeg

9F62420E-4C63-4458-B000-3A378291C5CB.thumb.jpeg.7c1a787450b38a23ff0a2f205b10a6c3.jpeg

photos are from Jan. 2021, I should expand on the view. 

• Like 2

Kim Cyr