IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dioon Mejiae sun or partial shade in Central FL?

Merlyn

I bought a really nice Dioon Mejiae from Tom Broome (CycadJungle) a few months ago, and am trying to figure out a good spot for it in my yard.  He was growing it under shade cloth, and it's been sitting in my container ranch area in about 50% direct sunlight.  I've read various articles that all seem to say "Partial Shade," and one that says "Partial sun in desert areas."  The habitat photos in Honduras show them growing in dense jungle as well as 3' tall up to tree-sized specimens out in 100% sun. 

I have limited areas with shade, since most of my palms are pretty young.  If possible I'd like to put it in a spot that will get full sun from morning through about 3pm, in an area that's somewhat raised to keep it from drowning.  If it will survive full sun but always look stressed then I'd prefer to figure out a spot with a little more shade.  But if it'll adapt to nearly 100% sun then I can slowly move it out there to a "prime viewing location."  Does anyone have experience or recommendations on location for this species? 

My sun isn't nearly as intense as yours, but I have grown mine in full sun for years.   It's still potted up to a 15 gallon for many years now, but I started it in a 3" x 9" liner when it was a two leaf seedling.  When it was smaller, I gave it mid-morning to mid-day full sun then afternoon shade.  Hopefully you will get some input from someone else in Florida with similar sunlight to yours.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 6/18/2019 at 7:50 AM, dmc said:

Er...?  Was that an, "I agree with what Tracy said?"  :D

Lol. No i was actually thinking about D. merolae that im growing. They look similar but i believe come from different areas. So im not much help :P

Gotcha, thanks!  The Merolae is quite a bit tougher than the Mejiae, pretty much good with light frosts, full sun and lots of water as long as it drains well.  I don't have one because it's so similar to the wider leaf Edule, and those are plentiful, inexpensive and really tough.

I found this reply from Phil @ Jungle Music about 10 years ago, relating to Spinulosum and Mejiae:

There are multiple comments above about growing Dioon spinulosum in sun. I think it depends on your local humidity. In the Houston area, you will probably get away with full sun. Here in Southern California, when grown in full sun, this species tends to look "limey" (yellow green rather than dark olive green) and can even get sunburned spots. They look much prettier in part day sun or nice filtered light. Dioon mejiae take a bit more sun, but they too look better in less than full sun here. Where Matt lives in Temecula, full sun would not be recommended or his plant would look less than perfect. In Southern California our humidity levels are lower. In Houston it is more humid. Therefore, you might be able to grow this species in your full sun. Dioon spinulosum is about the third most common of the commercially sold cycad species, being surpassed only by Cycas revoluta and Zamia furfuracea.

It sounds like Mejiae *might* grow well in almost full sun in central FL, maybe with some shade during the hottest time of the day.  I found this photo in a for sale thread from about 8 years ago, it looks like it's in a lot of sun and the only downside is a slightly lighter green leaflet color:

929134594_DioonMejiaefullsun.jpg.efdccb19b076316d617ca3bc5275826c.jpg

Although Mejiae is supposed to not be very frost hardy, @ghar41 said this back in 2014 in a cold hardy thread for his area in CA:

I can't say by personal experience that any of these can withstand the low 20's- I've had a low temp of about 25-26F here in the last 15 years with the cycads in the pictures. No I dont cover them. Here are some notes:  Dioons are tough- D edule, purpusii, mejiae, merolae no damage