IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor 'cherokee'

Shiveringtropicals

I got these seeds from Rarepalmseeds a couple of months ago and they have finaly began sprouting.

Anyone confirmed if they are as cold tolerant as rps says? on the site they where supposed to be able to take -22°C / -8°F but that could be in dry climates only.

The only palm i have germinated before was Washingtonia robusta but for me most of them died during winter at -6°C 21°F.

We can get fairly wet winters here so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else germinated these or similar varieties what were your results?

DSC03483.thumb.JPG.50b2b60fb78dbc8a862a7b300a016c32.JPG

• Like 2

@Shiveringtropicals This variety is from the Weiss Lake area in Cherokee county (northern Alabama.  This locale is considered zone 7b (half a zone lower than McCurtain).  I have a few of these growing here, but their hardiness will not be tested by my climate at all.

Here are the climate averages and records in the area:

201906161430_CedarBluff_AL.png

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

54 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@Shiveringtropicals This variety is from the Weiss Lake area in Cherokee county (northern Alabama.  This locale is considered zone 7b (half a zone lower than McCurtain).  I have a few of these growing here, but their hardiness will not be tested by my climate at all.

Here are the climate averages and records in the area:

201906161430_CedarBluff_AL.png

thanks for the info. Looking at this graph they should definitely be able to grow in my climate.

The average precipitation is higher then in my area and average low is similar to mine so its looking pretty good for these palms.:yay:

Now i just have to wait for them to get bigger, i hope they have a decent growth rate here.

Your biggest issue is not your ultimate low but how much sun and heat your seedlings receive in Summer, i.e., the more the better. Sabals need sunny, hot and humid summers to enable them to survive cold winters. They will also grow faster in hot summers. Cherokee is supposedly now the cold hardiest Sabal minor. Washingtonias are wimps compared to Sabal minor.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I have some seeds sitting in a community pot, none germinated yet, but it's good to hear that after a few months yours germinated, it gives me hope. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

• 2 weeks later...

2 week later they seem to be growing well, we've had a couple of hot days and they really seem to like it.

Other than some bird taking of with 2 seedlings i've not had any problems yet. 

Also none of the remaining seed germinated, they all came up within 2 weeks and then stopped (no worries i got 88 now):lol:.

DSC03493.thumb.JPG.306c7b4fc6aa802cacfb08e2acc0fd4a.JPG

Good work. Your seedlings will love the heat wave you are having.

Meg

Florida

I witnessed the devastation that -11F did to palms across North Alabama in January of 1985.  Sabal minor burnt to the ground and took up to two years in shady areas to regenerate new leaves above ground.  I also saw a single non-trunking palmetto do the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steve, I would be interested in reading more details of said event or even photos if you have them.   -11F would certainly kill any arborescent palms like Sabal palmetto and most Trachycarpus.

13 hours ago, Steve in Florida said:

I witnessed the devastation that -11F did to palms across North Alabama in January of 1985.  Sabal minor burnt to the ground and took up to two years in shady areas to regenerate new leaves above ground.  I also saw a single non-trunking palmetto do the same thing.

-11F and the palms actually still made a comeback is rather impressive right. At that temp i figured there isnt a palm out there that could survive. Myself included haha 

• Upvote 1

T J 

13 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Steve, I would be interested in reading more details of said event or even photos if you have them.   -11F would certainly kill any arborescent palms like Sabal palmetto and most Trachycarpus.

I didn't take any pics of the burnt palms because it was too cold and I didn't want to waste money on having depressing photos printed.  The palmetto was planted as a two gallon or trade three gallon with half a dozen fan leaves in September or October in 1978.  It defoliated in January of 1982 and regrew.  It defoliated and regrew again in 1984.  After January 1985 I thought the cold was too much for it because it took twice as long to regrow above ground.  This time it grew to six feet tall when it was only 4-4-5 feet two years earlier.  I took a pic of it a few years later when it was about eight feet tall.    

DVC00075.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Here's on update on the seedlings.

They continued growing throughout the summer albeit rather slowly.

It looks like they like hotter summers than we have here, atleast none of them died.

I'm now storing them under a shelter alongside with my agave's and other wet sensitive plants to prevent them from getting to wet and maybe getting root rot.

I hope they can take a bit of shade as the dark gloomy winter months are now upon us.

DSC03563.thumb.JPG.2e31a37292ca5c3bcafc34f67fdc73b5.JPG

DSC03555.thumb.JPG.dcbd388467356d2bccdc886cd6b5c6fa.JPG

• Like 3

On 6/16/2019 at 3:38 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

Your biggest issue is not your ultimate low but how much sun and heat your seedlings receive in Summer, i.e., the more the better. Sabals need sunny, hot and humid summers to enable them to survive cold winters. They will also grow faster in hot summers. Cherokee is supposedly now the cold hardiest Sabal minor. Washingtonias are wimps compared to Sabal minor.

Meg, I'm pretty new here so I'm just beginning to recognize the people behind the names but I have to say what a lot of people here probably already know - it's always a delight to see your comments. They're informative, helpful and interesting. One of these nights I'm just going to sit and read through the comments you've made on this forum. Many thanks for your contributions.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the kind words. Eleven years ago I was ignorant. I owe what I know to this forum, study and personal experience.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

On 6/16/2019 at 2:18 PM, Shiveringtropicals said:

I got these seeds from Rarepalmseeds a couple of months ago and they have finaly began sprouting.

Anyone confirmed if they are as cold tolerant as rps says? on the site they where supposed to be able to take -22°C / -8°F but that could be in dry climates only.

The only palm i have germinated before was Washingtonia robusta but for me most of them died during winter at -6°C 21°F.

We can get fairly wet winters here so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else germinated these or similar varieties what were your results?

DSC03483.thumb.JPG.50b2b60fb78dbc8a862a7b300a016c32.JPG

That’s great!  I can confirm the -8°F temperature, because that was the actual temperature recorded from the closest weather station to those palms (January 1985).  

There are some cold hardiness observations for Sabal minor from various forum members here: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/17218-sabal-minor/

The ecotypes from Oklahoma, Arkansas and Alabama are certainly hardy below 0F in hot summer climates once they are established.  See @Steve in Florida's post above regarding the -11F freeze in 1985.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 3 years later...

Here's a Sabal minor 'Cherokee' planted at a friends house in Kehl, Germany. It's about 5 years from seed, so relatively slow, but chugging along and has survived the winters unprotected. The historical lows of the city are quite cold, but the neighborhood also has some mature Trachycarpus, so we'll see how it does over the years!

PXL_20230630_160841941.jpg

• Like 4

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I have sabal mccurtain, sabal louisiana and sabal x texensis planted in my garden for many years. They were all grown from seeds . 

I have never had any damage during this time and they seem to be pretty bulletproof here. I don't think damp/wet conditions during the winter

are much of a problem. 

It is simply too cold for Washingtonia's in the Netherlands unfortunately. 

Sabal mccurtain

image.thumb.jpeg.207b3667441472fa521daaa63e01310c.jpeg

Sabal x texensis

image.thumb.jpeg.1537948885c6570488c8ee3b02d4da26.jpeg

Sabal Louisiana

sabal louisiana 2.jpg

Edited by Marco67
  • Like 3

Non-trunking Sabals are indeed full proof non-protection in my mid-Atlantic zone 7…given our limitations in my zone for unprotected palms, they really are a go-to (do I win the prize for most hyphenated words in one post?) Needle palms, of course, are another success story, anyway, McCurtain has been a nice choice here…nice, lush green with a bit of blue and well defined and deeply separated somewhat thin segments…

Progression once it got moving:

B16DB9BC-487F-47F1-8080-332BE48370C0.thumb.jpeg.aec5cc934f740961216808082bea74fb.jpeg

D183AF01-7E83-4D1A-AE38-EC46B35DB928.thumb.jpeg.e79f861487b5d637c943045cd60fb42b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.51dc7f3db8ab7b827abe714089ce4a7f.jpg

It arrived as a little strappy palm in a 3” pot in February several years ago…I’m like, what the heck do I do with it…it’s winter time…thought the seller would send in the spring…anyway, I tucked it, in its pot, buried in leaves, underneath the protected Chamaerops beside where it is now and let it acclimated or die…tough love in zone 7! Well, it’s a winner and I highly recommend as an unprotected palm in zone 7.

5B32CF99-B362-4C1A-83CE-C91B63D6761B.jpeg

1C78E77E-D93F-4612-B7E1-4D9D207D046A.jpeg

0227EEED-BB38-48DF-BF6D-6D2E7770E7FB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1