Sign in to follow this  
Rd003

Veitchia ID

Rd003

Was at my grandparent’s house today and their front neighbors have a curious triple Veitchia specimen.. my guess would be V. winin

some closeups of the fruit which look different from my V. arecina/joannis at home

any ideas!!

6D4BB7B5-CCD0-4A42-81C7-8BAC5F7B0CA1.jpeg

4CC0C08D-11E9-4184-9DF8-1ECCF3241C78.jpeg

EBBB1432-26F5-4500-96BC-3454BBD89547.jpeg

palmsOrl

I would guess Veitchia winin also.  It's hard to tell for sure, but the fruits look small, like V. winin.  Also, the crown looks like photos of mature V. winin I have seen.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have many palms. Most of them are very happy palms because I love them and we treat them well. In turn, they reward us with bountiful crops of seeds. I've learned there is scant interest in seeds of very tropical palms, esp. "common" ones that grow fast and get large no matter how beautiful they are. Today we got out the pole saw to stop these palms from burying us alive in seeds. We ended up with the pile of aborted infructescenses you see in the photos. Sad, I know, but necessary.
      For anyone interested, that pile includes the following species as I can best remember:
      Adonidia merrillii
      Veitchia joannis
      Veitchia spiralis
      Veitchia winin
      Carpentaria acuminata
      Dypsis pembana
      Coccothrinax sp
      Archonotophoenix tuckeri
      Archonotophoenix maxima
      Ptychosperma elegans

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I've had a skinny, solitary Ptychosperma growing up in my back yard for a number of years. It is perhaps 7-8' tall with a trunk about 1-1/2" in diameter and is easy to miss except that earlier this year it flowered for the first time and produced a dazzling, reddish-purple infructescense. Now I want to know what species it is. Can anyone please tell me? It's a dandy little palm.
      Ptychosperma sp ????

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I've had this Zamia for a few years and never been able to id it.   It coned in 2018 and 2017 and never pushes more than 2 leaves at a time.  It has a smooth rachis, flushes with the brown leaves which get a bluish tint underneath as they begin to harden off, finally turning a deep green.  Any identification thoughts?

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have a dwarfish Coccothrinax seeding in my 16x16' box on my Garden Lot. I'm pretty sure I grew it from seed and planted it ~2013 but its tag disappeared over the past 6 years. The palm is ~3' tall by 3' wide with 12-14" of trunk. Leaves are 3' diameter, fairly rigid (i.e., not "droopy") and quite silver on the back. Hastulas are pale yellow. The other day I noticed it has produced a small crop of 1/2" purple fruit. It is one of the smallest Coccothrinax sp in the box and, other than my 8' tall C. cupularis, is the only one that has flowered and produced seeds. I'm interested in dwarf palms and wonder if this plant might qualify.
      I took a passel of photos to illustrate all parts of this plant, including its woven trunk fibers. I understand this genus can be difficult to differentiate but could somebody give me an idea what this little guy might be? I plan to sell the seeds in one lot if another Coccothrinax lover wants them.

• SilverDragon
      By SilverDragon
      So I have a few joannis and spiralis seedlings that are doing quite well in some one gallon pots, bit now a few have roots coming out of the bottom. Should I transplant them to a deeper pot? If so, I'd really appreciate it if someone could link me a site where I can order the deep black square pots I see many growers using on here.