IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Northern most coconut - Antalya - Turkey

kutsalangemon

A user on Turkish plant forum agaclar.net shared these pics. He says coconut has been outside since February and planted 1 month ago to soil. He lives in Alanya, Antalya. I asked the details and ll update here once he replies.

BTW Alanya located at 36 north and lots of tropic trees and fruits grow there.

1p4WV1.jpg

P7pWOQ.jpg

Edited by kutsalangemon
  • Like 1

Was it dehusked or did he bury the nut completely in the ground?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

It's better to talk about it again next year. :)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

25 minutes ago, pietropuccio said:

It's better to talk about it again next year. :)

Agree. It hasn't faced a Turkish winter yet.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I was in Antalya during winter of 2011 and on one of the days, the temperature did not warm up past 4C and it dropped down to -2C at night. There was also some snow overnight and the following day only warmed up to around 5-6C. All the tourists had coats, hats and gloves on. The wind coming off the sea was brutally cold as well, so I could imagine with windchill, it still would have felt close to freezing during the day. 

I'm pretty sure that kind of weather will prove fatal for any coconuts growing in the area. CIDP and Chamaerops on the other hand won't bat an eyelid at those sort of temps. But coconuts... I'm not so sure...

• Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

I was in Antalya during winter of 2011 and on one of the days, the temperature did not warm up past 4C and it dropped down to -2C at night. There was also some snow overnight and the following day only warmed up to around 5-6C. All the tourists had coats, hats and gloves on. The wind coming off the sea was brutally cold as well, so I could imagine with windchill, it still would have felt close to freezing during the day. 

I'm pretty sure that kind of weather will prove fatal for any coconuts growing in the area. CIDP and Chamaerops on the other hand won't bat an eyelid at those sort of temps. But coconuts... I'm not so sure...

If that's the case, no coconut can survive winter there without supplemental heat/protection. A couple years ago someone claimed he could grow coconuts in Turkey. I think PT consensus was, "Baloney!"

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

C2D1145D-978C-45CF-9F25-AE884878D183.thumb.png.a9e670909b6042ec9e233e9890183584.pngIf this is accurate and there aren’t extremes during the winter, a coconut has at least a small chance of growing there. It would likely look a bit tired after a cool winter but, with some help, it’s possible if in free draining soil so it isn’t too wet in the winter. Keep it well watered in those hot summer months! 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

December to February the maxs are too cool. Without supplemental heat or an absolutely awesome microclimate a coconut will kick the bucket.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

If that's the case, no coconut can survive winter there without supplemental heat/protection. A couple years ago someone claimed he could grow coconuts in Turkey. I think PT consensus was, "Baloney!"

9 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

If this is accurate and there aren’t extremes during the winter, a coconut has at least a small chance of growing there. It would likely look a bit tired after a cool winter but, with some help, it’s possible if in free draining soil so it isn’t too wet in the winter. Keep it well watered in those hot summer months! 

I have never seen a report of a coconut growing, or surviving, in the Mediterranean. Obviously I know a few people are trying to zone push them in the warmer parts of Greece, Turkey, Cyprus etc, but I don't know of any that have survived 3+ years in the ground. But maybe I'm wrong. The warmest parts of Europe such as Malaga in Spain and Limassol in Cyprus, still see plenty of days in winter that don't get above 10C and nights that drop down to 1-2C. Accompanied with rain, so it is a wet-cold climate during the winter in these Mediterranean places. Coconuts can't survive that.

After Spain, Turkey is the second most visited country by British people due to the low cost package holidays and abundance of beach resorts along the Turkish Med. More Brit's now visit Turkey than France even. Given that I have been to the warmest part of Turkey, during the coldest part of the year, I can categorically say that coconuts will not survive there long term, without supplemental heat. Not only is it very cool during winter (compared to the tropics), but it is also very wet in these places during their colder part of the year (unlike in the tropics). All that rain during the cool winter will make the wet-cold complications even worse. 

Rainfall stats for Alanya...

Dec - 9.5 inches

Jan - 8.1 inches

Feb - 6.2 inches

They receive more rain in winter than I do throughout the entire year in the southeast of England...

Edited by UK_Palms

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

28 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

C2D1145D-978C-45CF-9F25-AE884878D183.thumb.png.a9e670909b6042ec9e233e9890183584.pngIf this is accurate and there aren’t extremes during the winter, a coconut has at least a small chance of growing there. It would likely look a bit tired after a cool winter but, with some help, it’s possible if in free draining soil so it isn’t too wet in the winter. Keep it well watered in those hot summer months! 

If these are the stats, it has a marginal chance.  However, by looking at the get-go, seems it got up and went. 

Supplemental heat on cold night the first 3-5 years, a tarp above it in cool nights (with the heat) and pure coarse sand (not fine sand, the thick kind) in a 3x3x3ft (1x1x1m) plot. If you can find volcanic rock sand, better.

Honestly, planting it in May-June is too late. February-March with all my recommendations will help it more.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

34 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

I have never seen a report of a coconut growing, or surviving, in the Mediterranean. Obviously I know a few people are trying to zone push them in the warmer parts of Greece, Turkey, Cyprus etc, but I don't know of any that have survived 3+ years in the ground. But maybe I'm wrong. The warmest parts of Europe such as Malaga in Spain and Limassol in Cyprus, still see plenty of days in winter that don't get above 10C and nights that drop down to 1-2C. Accompanied with rain, so it is a wet-cold climate during the winter in these Mediterranean places. Coconuts can't survive that.

After Spain, Turkey is the second most visited country by British people due to the low cost package holidays and abundance of beach resorts along the Turkish Med. More Brit's now visit Turkey than France even. Given that I have been to the warmest part of Turkey, during the coldest part of the year, I can categorically say that coconuts will not survive there long term, without supplemental heat. Not only is it very cool during winter (compared to the tropics), but it is also very wet in these places during their colder part of the year (unlike in the tropics). All that rain during the cool winter will make the wet-cold complications even worse. 

Rainfall stats for Alanya...

Dec - 9.5 inches

Jan - 8.1 inches

Feb - 6.2 inches

They receive more rain in winter than I do throughout the entire year in the southeast of England...

In Mediterranean days with rain are warmer not colder. Rain here in Mediterranean comes with warm Southern winds. Cold waves come and go with cold dry Northern winds. Soo when we are cold we are dry and sunny, there is no rain. That is why snow is rare in Mediterranean. Also you can not compare rain in Mediterranean and UK. In UK you have a lot of rainy days. In Mediterranean in only few days we can get our all monthly rain. Basically even in winter majority of days are dry. But when it rains it rains. It really rains for few days. But I agree that we are too cool for Cocos nucifera during winter. 

Edited by Cikas

Too bad nobody publishes stats for soil temperature...that would help determine survivability...

• Like 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I can put a coconut in the ground in February and have it survive until now.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

The data doesn't look right. 80F average lows on the Mediterranean coast? 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

10 minutes ago, Xenon said:

The data doesn't look right. 80F average lows on the Mediterranean coast? 

It is correct. I'am not from Turkey, but I'am from mediterranean Europe. Summers here are very HOT, during the days and nights. Nights sometimes during summer are at 30C. We are warmer during summer nights than California for example. 

Edited by Cikas

Just now, Cikas said:

In Mediterranean days with rain are warmer not colder. Rain here in Mediterranean comes with warm Southern winds. Cold waves come and go with cold dry Northern winds. Soo when we are cold we are dry, there is no rain. That is why snow is rare in Mediterranean. Also you can not compare rain in Mediterranean and UK. In UK you have a lot of rainy days. In Mediterranean in only few days we can get our all monthly rain. Basically even in winter majority of days are dry. But when it rains it rains. It really rains for few days. But I agree that we are too cool for Cocos nucifera during winter. 

It doesn't change the fact that Alanya, for example, experiences 20-25 inches of rainfall during the winter alone. That is an excessive amount of winter rainfall, even for a Mediterranean region. And winter in the Mediterranean is hardly tropical anyway. When you have nighttime lows in the 40-55F range for 3 months straight, coupled with all that rainfall, that is going to cause a coconut palm problems. Especially when you have a number of nights close to, or just below freezing, and some daytime highs that might not go above 5C. 

Coconut palms grow in the tropics where the hottest months are also very wet, but the cooler months are quite dry. This is why they do pretty well in Florida. The exact opposite however can be said for the Med. It isn't just significantly cooler than the tropics for 9 months of the year, but it's rainfall patterns are also the polar opposite. Coconut palms are not designed to withstand low temperatures and excessive rainfall, at the same time, which is what they experience during winter in the Med. 

Also, it's the same with the UK in that days with rain are warmer during winter, not colder. But that doesn't change the fact that snow can still fall in the UK and in the Med. I have seen snow fall in Malaga, Sardinia & Antalya which are all located on the Med. If you get a lot of tropical air and moisture from the south, clashing with a big cold front to the north, you are going to get snow. And the Mediterranean still gets hit by large cold fronts from continental Europe. Athens for instance can experience some insanely heavy snowfalls sometimes. As you do on the Croatian Med as well, every couple of years. 

And I don't have that many rain days in the southeast of the UK. I only average 18 inches a year, which falls on 95 days. Alanya for example, averages more than double my rainfall at 45 inches a year, falling on 85 days. But their rainfall is generally much heavier, whereas our's is quite light.

2 minutes ago, Cikas said:

It is correct. I'am not from Turkey, but I'am from mediterranean. Summers here are very HOT, during the days and nights. Nights sometimes during summer are at 30C. We are warmer during summer nights than California for example. 

Yeah, specifically the eastern Med can experience insanely hot nights for it's latitude, as it is far away from the Atlantic ocean influence and the cool currents that help moderate the coastal temps in the western part of the Med.

Parts of Crete for instance have seen overnight lows as high as 35-36C. Cyprus and Turkey as well have nights that sometimes don't drop below 32C during heatwaves. But if you go to the western Med in places like Spain and Portugal, the nights are almost never above 25C and usually around 20C even in mid summer. And the days are cooler as well during mid summer.

29 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I can put a coconut in the ground in February and have it survive until now.

The extra 2-3 months of root development (with supplemental heat) can be a game changer.

16 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

It doesn't change the fact that Alanya, for example, experiences 20-25 inches of rainfall during the winter alone. That is an excessive amount of winter rainfall, even for a Mediterranean region. And winter in the Mediterranean is hardly tropical anyway. When you have nighttime lows in the 40-55F range for 3 months straight, coupled with all that rainfall, that is going to cause a coconut palm problems. Especially when you have a number of nights close to, or just below freezing, and some daytime highs that might not go above 5C. 

Coconut palms grow in the tropics where the hottest months are also very wet, but the cooler months are quite dry. This is why they do pretty well in Florida. The exact opposite however can be said for the Med. It isn't just significantly cooler than the tropics for 9 months of the year, but it's rainfall patterns are also the polar opposite. Coconut palms are not designed to withstand low temperatures and excessive rainfall, at the same time, which is what they experience during winter in the Med. 

Also, it's the same with the UK in that days with rain are warmer during winter, not colder. But that doesn't change the fact that snow can still fall in the UK and in the Med. I have seen snow fall in Malaga, Sardinia & Antalya which are all located on the Med. If you get a lot of tropical air and moisture from the south, clashing with a big cold front to the north, you are going to get snow. And the Mediterranean still gets hit by large cold fronts from continental Europe. Athens for instance can experience some insanely heavy snowfalls sometimes. As you do on the Croatian Med as well, every couple of years. 

And I don't have that many rain days in the southeast of the UK. I only average 18 inches a year, which falls on 95 days. Alanya for example, averages more than double my rainfall at 45 inches a year, falling on 85 days. But their rainfall is generally much heavier, whereas our's is quite light.

Snow here as in whole mediterranean is very rare. Once every 10-15 years (in some parts once in 30+ years) on average. Heavy snow happens once or twice in lifetime (we had such event in 2017 when we got the coldest temperatures in last 40-50 years). Mediterranean climate is definitely not tropical. That is correct. Rainfall in Mediterranean is heavier. That was my point. We can got a lot more rain than Northern Europe per day. But we have a lot less rainy days per month. And a lot of rainy days are what kill tropical plants during winter. Soo less rainy days is better even if there is more rain per day. 

Edited by Cikas
  • Like 1

I say best of luck to that coco! Here again, it's not looking too good due to sunburn (planted in or just before summer).  

• Like 1

Have you considered Beccariophoenix alfredii? No supplemental heat needed there. 

In my opinion, there is a lot of even more beautiful palm species than Cocos nucifera that grow great there. Why bother with cocos?!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Cikas said:

In my opinion, there is a lot of even more beautiful palm species than Cocos nucifera that grow great there. Why bother with cocos?!

It is the holy grail of palms.

I agree with you, at that latitude, I would opt for other tropical looking palms. 

9b/10a palms. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cikas said:

It is correct. I'am not from Turkey, but I'am from mediterranean Europe. Summers here are very HOT, during the days and nights. Nights sometimes during summer are at 30C. We are warmer during summer nights than California for example. 

A hot night during a heatwave, yes. But not sustained 2 months with lows 27-28C. Tel Aviv and Alexandria only average 22-24C. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Turkish State Met Service stats

hideClimate data for Alanya (1970–2011)
Month Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Year
Record high °C (°F) 23.2
(73.8)
(77.0)
(82.6)
(87.3)
(95.7)
(100.0)
(105.4)
(103.3)
(99.0)
(94.8)
(86.0)
(76.5)
(105.4)
Average high °C (°F) 16.2
(61.2)
(61.3)
(64.9)
(70.0)
(76.5)
(83.7)
(88.7)
(89.8)
(86.4)
(79.7)
(70.7)
(64.0)
(74.7)
Daily mean °C (°F) 11.8
(53.2)
(53.4)
(56.8)
(62.4)
(69.6)
(77.2)
(82.0)
(82.4)
(77.7)
(70.2)
(61.5)
(55.8)
(66.9)
Average low °C (°F) 8.6
(47.5)
(47.3)
(50.2)
(55.4)
(62.1)
(68.9)
(73.9)
(74.7)
(70.2)
(63.3)
(55.4)
(50.0)
(59.9)
Record low °C (°F) −1.9
(28.6)
−2.2
(28.0)
(33.6)
(39.2)
(49.6)
(55.9)
(62.4)
(57.4)
(55.8)
(49.1)
(37.2)
(32.7)
−2.2
(28.0)
Average precipitation mm (inches) 199.0
(7.83)
(5.88)
(3.85)
(2.78)
(1.28)
(0.33)
(0.18)
(0.11)
(0.69)
(3.88)
(7.20)
(9.10)
(43.11)
Average rainy days 13.8 11.6 9.5 8.5 4.4 1.5 0.4 0.5 2.1 6.6 9.9 13.0 81.8
Average relative humidity (%) 57 57 61 63 66 66 64 65 58 55 59 60 61
Mean monthly sunshine hours 127.1 127.1 192.2 219.0 288.3 348.0 325.5 316.2 273.0 220.1 159.0 133.3 2,728.8
Mean daily sunshine hours 4.1 4.5 6.2 7.3 9.3 11.6 10.5 10.2 9.1 7.1 5.3 4.3 7.5
Source #1: Turkish State Meteorological Service[42]
Source #2: Weather2 [43]

Tyrone is pretty well correct.... too cold, and more importantly, too wet during the winter months
Here's Perth, Western Australia at 32*S. Coconuts can grow here ( wouldn't have believed it until I saw Tyrone's and Sandgroper's pics haha )

PERTH LONG-TERM AVERAGES

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Ann
Mean Max (°C) 31.2 31.6 29.6 25.9 22.3 19.4 18.4 19.1 20.3 23.4 26.6 29.1 24.8
Mean Min (°C) 18.1 18.3 16.6 13.8 10.5 8.6 7.7 8.3 9.5 11.5 14.3 16.3 12.8
Mean Rain (mm) 16.7 13.6 20.4 36.3 90.3 126.0 144.5 122.4 87.2 38.6 23.3 10.1 727.1
Median Rain (mm) 1.5 3.4 9.2 25.4 88.6 123.2 142.0 124.8 85.6 38.4 20.7 4.3 737.8
Mean Rain Days 2.8 2.3 4.6 6.8 11.5 14.9 17.0 15.8 14.8 8.9 5.8 3.6 105.0

PERTH DAILY RECORDS

High Max (°C) 44.4 44.5 42.4 37.3 34.3 26.2 25.8 27.2 34.2 37.2 40.3 44.2 44.5
Low Max (°C) 19.7 17.4 18.1 15.9 11.5 11.5 12.5 13.2 13.5 15.8 16.0 19.0 11.5
High Min (°C) 29.7 27.7 28.1 23.4 19.2 16.3 16.5 17.1 18.2 21.3 24.4 27.3 29.7
Low Min (°C) 8.9 9.9 6.3 4.7 1.3 -0.7 0.0 1.3 1.0 2.2 5.0 7.9 -0.7
High Rain (mm) 104.0 114.4 40.2 69.6 50.4 57.0 88.8 63.8 35.8 68.2 26.0 43.6 114.4

PERTH MONTHLY RECORDS

High Mn. Max (°C) 33.5 34.6 31.9 28.5 24.4 21.0 19.5 21.6 22.5 26.8 29.6 31.5 25.7
Low Mn. Max (°C) 28.8 29.0 27.5 23.3 20.7 17.9 16.7 17.6 18.5 20.7 23.6 23.7 23.5
High Mn. Min (°C) 20.1 21.0 18.6 16.7 13.8 10.6 10.6 10.7 11.6 13.6 16.0 18.2 14.0
Low Mn. Min (°C) 16.6 16.7 15.1 11.7 8.8 5.8 4.4 5.6 7.6 9.7 12.4 13.9 11.9
High Rain (mm) 139.0 137.2 69.6 153.6 191.2 251.0 278.6 175.6 144.2 96.4 58.2 75.8 904.8
Low Rain (mm) 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 26.4 24.6 34.6 27.8 35.2 5.2 4.4 0.0 466.8

And Sydney at 34*S with a summer rainfall bias, although June is also a wet month, well can't think of any healthy specimens in the ground outdoors, including the Botanical Gardens.

SYDNEY LONG-TERM AVERAGES

Mean Max (°C) 26.0 25.8 24.8 22.5 19.5 17.0 16.4 17.9 20.1 22.2 23.7 25.2 21.7
Mean Min (°C) 18.7 18.8 17.6 14.7 11.6 9.3 8.1 9.0 11.1 13.6 15.7 17.5 13.8
Mean Rain (mm) 102.2 117.6 130.9 128.5 118.6 133.0 97.1 81.1 68.4 76.4 83.8 77.6 1215.0
Median Rain (mm) 78.6 93.6 96.6 91.5 90.8 99.8 74.7 54.7 51.9 55.6 66.8 58.4 1158.7
Mean Rain Days 12.2 12.5 13.7 12.9 13.1 12.7 11.3 10.4 10.6 11.6 11.7 11.5 143.1

SYDNEY DAILY RECORDS

High Max (°C) 45.8 42.1 39.8 34.2 30.0 26.9 25.9 31.3 34.6 38.2 41.8 42.2 45.8
Low Max (°C) 17.2 15.6 16.2 13.8 11.3 9.7 7.7 9.1 9.5 12.1 13.7 15.2 7.7
High Min (°C) 26.2 27.6 25.4 24.3 20.8 18.4 18.1 19.7 22.0 25.6 24.8 27.1 27.6
Low Min (°C) 10.6 9.6 9.3 7.0 4.4 2.1 2.2 2.7 4.9 5.7 7.7 9.1 2.1
High Rain (mm) 191.0 243.6 280.7 191.0 212.3 150.6 198.1 327.6 144.5 161.8 234.6 126.0 327.6

SYDNEY MONTHLY RECORDS

High Mn. Max (°C) 29.6 29.0 27.1 25.6 23.2 20.3 19.5 21.3 24.4 26.2 26.5 28.6 23.8
Low Mn. Max (°C) 23.1 23.6 22.4 20.0 16.6 14.1 13.4 14.9 17.4 19.2 20.6 22.5 20.1
High Mn. Min (°C) 21.6 21.2 20.0 16.9 14.0 12.5 10.4 11.7 13.8 16.9 18.7 20.1 15.4
Low Mn. Min (°C) 16.5 16.6 15.0 12.2 9.4 6.9 5.5 6.5 8.5 10.5 13.5 14.5 12.3
High Rain (mm) 387.1 630.6 521.4 622.1 585.0 642.7 336.1 482.6 355.8 285.0 517.2 401.9 2194.0
Low Rain (mm) 5.6 3.0 8.4 1.4 3.0 4.1 1.8 0.0 2.1 0.6 1.9 2.8 583.0

Good luck with Alanya coconut....hope it survives the zone pushing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Xenon said:

A hot night during a heatwave, yes. But not sustained 2 months with lows 27-28C. Tel Aviv and Alexandria only average 22-24C. 

Not during heatwave. Night lows are like that all the time during peak of summer in Mediterranean. For us these are normal temperatures. 

Edited by Cikas

16 minutes ago, Cikas said:

Definitely are. Temperatures right now are over 24C during nights. And it is not even summer yet. 

I pulled two stations on Wunderground (Lapad and Dubrovnik Airport); both recorded lows 20-23C (this is also during a heat wave) the past few days. It might be 24C at night, but not shortly before sunrise.

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

16 minutes ago, Xenon said:

I pulled two stations on Wunderground (Lapad and Dubrovnik Airport); both recorded lows 20-23C (this is also during a heat wave) the past few days. It might be 24C at night, but not shortly before sunrise.

The lows might not be in the mid 20's C right now,  but I was in Oludeniz in late June 2013 and on one of the nights the temperature did not drop below 30C. The whole town had a powercut that evening as well, so there was no air conditioning, or fans. We had to stay up on the beachfront all night, drinking cocktails and eating watermelon, as it wasn't safe to sleep in the hotel room with the doors or windows open. The low may have actually been 31-32C that night. 

Still nothing compared to the overnight low of 39C I experienced in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt during August 2012. And that was off the back of a 45C high that day. That was literally hell on earth, with 40% humidity that night as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xenon said:

It is almost a midnight right now in Dubrovnik and it is 28C in some parts of Dubrovnik. You can find all stations here. https://pljusak.com/m/  (Dubrovnik stations are in "Dalmacija" section). 

Edited by Cikas

I wish the Turkish Coconut Palm my best, but even here in Corpus Christi, on the South Texas Coast at about 27.6 N Latitude, they are marginal, and our winters are a little bit milder than the ones in Turkey!

John

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Coconuts dont grow in turkey i grow palms in australia as a hobby... if you want to grow something that may survive and is hardy grow cocos palms.. they aren't coconut palms but decent looking.. or if you have a protected area bangalow palms will grow in turkey but in the south of turkey

• 9 months later...
On 6/16/2019 at 3:55 AM, UK_Palms said:

Yeah, specifically the eastern Med can experience insanely hot nights for it's latitude, as it is far away from the Atlantic ocean influence and the cool currents that help moderate the coastal temps in the western part of the Med.

Parts of Crete for instance have seen overnight lows as high as 35-36C. Cyprus and Turkey as well have nights that sometimes don't drop below 32C during heatwaves. But if you go to the western Med in places like Spain and Portugal, the nights are almost never above 25C and usually around 20C even in mid summer. And the days are cooler as well during mid summer.

Overnight lows of 35-36 in Crete? I seriously doubt that. Maxima in Crete rarely exceed 35, let alone minima. Btw we are expecting another cold snap this week with heavy snowfall, even in the Aegean islands.

Edited by ego

previously known as ego