PalmTreeDude

Here is the store bought coconut I got from Publix(?) at the very end of last Summer. Over the Fall and Winter (it took it a long time before the first spear was sent up) I germinated it in a plastic bag with the nut half in water. Here it is at the end of Spring, the heat really makes a difference. This coconut had a Dominican Republic tag on it, so what ever variety they grow commercially there is likely what this is. This first picture is when it germinated in late September and the second picture is it today. 

20180928_222840.jpg

20190615_104159.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 7

HtownPalms

That's awesome! I guess that's the next experiment for me to try. Grow a Coconut Palm! 

Rickybobby
1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Here is the store bought coconut I got from Publix(?) at the very end of last Summer. Over the Fall and Winter (it took it a long time before the first spear was sent up) I germinated it in a plastic bag with the nut half in water. Here it is at the end of Spring, the heat really makes a difference. This coconut had a Dominican Republic tag on it, so what ever variety they grow commercially there is likely what this is. This first picture is when it germinated in late September and the second picture is it today. 

20180928_222840.jpg

20190615_104159.jpg

I use a very similar method. Of the seed is good it will sprout eventually 

• Like 2

PalmTreeDude

Quick update. 

15666911933346818815763356861326.jpg

• Like 4

GottmitAlex
6 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Quick update. 

15666911933346818815763356861326.jpg

Nicely done! 

:greenthumb:

sandgroper

Fantastic looking coconut!

PalmTreeDude

It's a year old, plus a day or two! 

15697984101533026832314299363222.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 2

Meangreen94z

Quick grower, may have to try it myself.

GottmitAlex

It's awesome you planted the dehusked nut as if it had the husk.

:greenthumb::D

Dartolution

Super cool @PalmTreeDude! I might have to give this a go as well.... Would be neat to have one in a pot. 

palmfriend

Great job!

It is really fun to get a store bought coconut sprouted - I did the same with 

an imported coconut from India. Now it is outside in the ground. I am very 

curious how it will perform over here ;) 

All the best for your beauty -

greetings from Okinawa

Lars

JLM

Did your coconut mold early on? It looks like it. Does this mean i can just put it back in its bag?

@PalmTreeDude

Shiveringtropicals
On 9/30/2019 at 1:05 AM, PalmTreeDude said:

15697984101533026832314299363222.jpg

Whats that conifer looking tree behind the coconut?

It kind of looks like metasequoia.

PalmTreeDude
On 2/21/2020 at 4:54 AM, Shiveringtropicals said:

Whats that conifer looking tree behind the coconut?

It kind of looks like metasequoia.

It's a bald cypress (Taxodium distichum) that I germinated from local seed. I still have it outside in a pot. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

PalmTreeDude
On 2/20/2020 at 8:08 PM, JLM said:

Did your coconut mold early on? It looks like it. Does this mean i can just put it back in its bag?

@PalmTreeDude

It did a little bit, but it went away after a while. I tried to prevent as much mold growth as I could. I left it in the bag until the very first leaf started emerging. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

JLM
1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

It did a little bit, but it went away after a while. I tried to prevent as much mold growth as I could. I left it in the bag until the very first leaf started emerging. 

So i just keep washing it off or what? I have washed it off once already and it is worse than before. The temp in the closet is 70 degrees, which is pretty good considering the lows have been in the low to upper 30s. Thunderstorms tomorrow then another cold spell so i cant put it with the water heater or the attic cause they both get really cold when it gets cold. That would probably completely diminish any chance of germination. Closet is honestly the warmest, darkest place right now.

NOT A TA

@JLM It doesn't have to actually be dark to germinate. They just don't seem to germinate as well in full sun from my testing the past several years. AND, sometimes when folks have put them in full sun they get too hot, pressurize & crack. I plant them in a shaded area that gets dappled sunlight to germinate them.

How warm is it in your kitchen on the top of the cabinets? Might be a good place. Kitchens get a little extra heat from cooking and the hot air rises up to the ceiling so that area is often warmer than the rest of the house.

I've had a half dozen sprout in ground, outside, since December. Ya, it's S FL but it's only been in the 70's most days and it's been down in the mid 40's a few nights. It does take noticeably longer for them to sprout during winter months though. And no, mid 40's didn't hurt the seedlings.

• Like 1