IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Interesting Croton Mutation

palmsOrl

My grandma has this lovely but common Croton variety growing in her garden.  One day, we noticed this mutation growing deep within the plant.  In trees and shrubs, mutations like these are called witches brooms I believe.

I removed it from the parent plant as a cutting and have kept it in a window with a makeshift terrarium around the pot.  The cutting starting growing new leaves in less than 10 days and now it has clearly rooted well.  The second photo is the rooted plant and the third is a closeup of the leaves.  When I took the cutting the leaves had some very pale patterning that slightly resembled the parent plant.  I removed the original leaves to prevent the cutting from dehydrating while it roots.  As you can see, the new leaves grew back a solid cream color and are slightly deformed from the humidity dome on top of them.  This plant has been exposed to a bit of direct sun in the window, so I am confident that, even if this variety will never be able to tolerate full sun, it should be safe for partial sun locations.

I am excited about this.  Maybe I have a viable new variety of this Croton that can be introduced into cultivation.

F353E0B9-229E-4E24-9782-F47025F38257.jpeg

6BFBF379-2CC3-4D91-A89C-41FBD228A32B.jpeg

I don’t see anything that resembles a similar mutation in Crotons when I Google search.  

If it doesn't develop any leaves with chlorophyll it may not survive. Attached to the main plant it has a chance being supplied with nutrients from other 'normal' leaves but not on its own.

• Upvote 1

Well, I’m thinking because the old leaves had a bit of pale color, it will grow some that do too.

I have a feeling it might end up like this “Tropical Iceton Croton”, first photo. 

Or this second photo, a variety called “Andrew”.

The original leaves were a mix of pale colors, like washed out versions of the original.  It may be really attractive, and even if it’s not, it might appeal to hardcore Croton collectors.

Source site for these photos is: https://www.gardenmandy.com/croton-plant-care/

If my variety survives (I think leaves with some chlorophyll will grow, and it will, even the current leaves are off-white and may have some), and the mutation persists on new growth, I could have a new variety Trademarked.  

5CD9B08C-9411-4C4C-B151-7DD8C9CCFCE7.jpeg

555198D8-7A66-419F-9A9F-F9C9F0C8178E.jpeg