IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My second annual banana joe shipment

Rickybobby

Started this last year. And now every year I purchase 100 trachy seeds and a bunch of bare root seedlings 

the seedlings I’ll grow and give away to as gifts and the seeds we’ll need to keep up with every year. Will post on seed germination results this year as last year I had about 30 percent 

CA025E7D-C40D-4BEB-B21C-58E9B5DE30FC.jpeg

30% seems pretty low for fresh seed, I would expect >90%.  I know he likes to use the baggy method but I find you run the risk of fungus.  I'll just get a pot and fill it with a fast draining mix, pour the seeds on top and gently push them into the soil.  Keep moist and probably throw them outside in the shade this time of year and within a couple weeks you should see some action.

There are approximately 100 seedlings in each pot.  At this point you can transplant whenever you feel like.  I've done one pot's worth and am low on small pots because I completely underestimated how many I actually had.

Trachy Seedlings 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

30% seems pretty low for fresh seed, I would expect >90%.  I know he likes to use the baggy method but I find you run the risk of fungus.  I'll just get a pot and fill it with a fast draining mix, pour the seeds on top and gently push them into the soil.  Keep moist and probably throw them outside in the shade this time of year and within a couple weeks you should see some action.

There are approximately 100 seedlings in each pot.  At this point you can transplant whenever you feel like.  I've done one pot's worth and am low on small pots because I completely underestimated how many I actually had.

Trachy Seedlings 2.jpg

I may try this last year I struggled with right temps for them. Tropical palms are easy when fresh. I was putting the bag outside on hot days and inside and doing a warm cool and leaving them in palm room at 77f. Had mixed results with these. 

Trachys don't need a lot of heat to germinate, this batch did in the basement over winter.  I'd probably say its about 65F or  18C down there at that time of year.  I think being outside with the swings between day and night isn't a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Trachys don't need a lot of heat to germinate, this batch did in the basement over winter.  I'd probably say its about 65F or  18C down there at that time of year.  I think being outside with the swings between day and night isn't a bad thing.

Agree. Even though I can't grow them, I've learned Trachies don't need tropical heat to germinate and may be inhibited by high heat. They are temperate palms. I also suggest you germinate them in pots placed at ambient temps in shade.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I much prefer the cell tray method as it's easy to isolate specimens and pot them up when they are ready. I might have to see how big he could send down here as I have always wanted to try a salt spring island trachy.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Like 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Does he have a site or something? I always hear him say he sells his palms in his videos, but I never know where. Do I just contact him over Favebook or something? 

PalmTreeDude

2 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Does he have a site or something? I always hear him say he sells his palms in his videos, but I never know where. Do I just contact him over Favebook or something? 

He is hard to find this should help 

bananajo@telus.net

On 6/15/2019 at 12:33 PM, Rickybobby said:

He is hard to find this should help 

bananajo@telus.net

Thank you. I would think he would put his contact information out there a bit more, especially with his large YouTube audience. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

4 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Thank you. I would think he would put his contact information out there a bit more, especially with his large YouTube audience. 

I literally had to zoom in on a pic to find his email a few years back. Or you can message him through you tube I guess.  

On 6/16/2019 at 5:18 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

Let me know what you find out since we are pretty close. Would be curious what size and how much to get down here.

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

17 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Let me know what you find out since we are pretty close. Would be curious what size and how much to get down here.

Pretty sure he only does bareroot and seeds through the mail., locally sells mostly 1 gallon.  You'd probably be better off getting larger palms considering your location.  I'm not sure what the risk is getting them across the border without a phyto certificate.  I have had items confiscated sent from Europe.

Ahh I was looking more for the salt spring genetics, but the border issue does worry me.

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Ahh I was looking more for the salt spring genetics, but the border issue does worry me.

They've been growing palms in BC for less than 100 years, and SSI is a pretty small place.  I doubt there is any real difference in genetics due to the small population and lack of time.  Plus most of Western BC is zone 8/9 so if you're looking for cold provenance I would look elsewhere.  If you want some west coast palms I could send you some 2-3 leaf straps.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Chester B said:

They've been growing palms in BC for less than 100 years, and SSI is a pretty small place.  I doubt there is any real difference in genetics due to the small population and lack of time.  Plus most of Western BC is zone 8/9 so if you're looking for cold provenance I would look elsewhere.  If you want some west coast palms I could send you some 2-3 leaf straps.

I agree. But for me living in Canada. It’s so cool when people come over and I tell them these palms are actually from Canada. And also it’s easy to shop back and forth for us I get seedlings in 4 business days regular mail 

15 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

I agree. But for me living in Canada. It’s so cool when people come over and I tell them these palms are actually from Canada. And also it’s easy to shop back and forth for us I get seedlings in 4 business days regular mail 

Definitely easier for you being in Canada as long as Canada Post isn't on strike:rolleyes:

Before I left I had Trachys, mediterraneans, Nannorrhops and some Sabal minors that I had grown from seed and were getting to a decent size.  I was worried about bringing them cross border when I moved so I gave them to my Dad.  He killed everyone in the pots.  Then I bought him a 5 gallon needle palm, and he killed that too before it was even put it the ground.   Plus he killed a Musa basjoo, so now I don't give him any  palms or tropical plants.

Edited by Chester B

9 hours ago, Chester B said:

Definitely easier for you being in Canada as long as Canada Post isn't on strike:rolleyes:

Before I left I had Trachys, mediterraneans, Nannorrhops and some Sabal minors that I had grown from seed and were getting to a decent size.  I was worried about bringing them cross border when I moved so I gave them to my Dad.  He killed everyone in the pots.  Then I bought him a 5 gallon needle palm, and he killed that too before it was even put it the ground.   Plus he killed a Musa basjoo, so now I don't give him any  palms or tropical plants.

I’m guessing he either waters like crazy or forgets to water? 

14 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

I’m guessing he either waters like crazy or forgets to water? 

My guess is overwater.  His plants in the ground tend to survive and I don't think he waters them much.

• 1 year later...

Hi I wondered if anyone has banana Joe's nursery email address. I live in Ireland but would love to buy some palm seeds to try and grow on my balcony as I sadly don't have a garden.. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me... Thank you.. David. Dublin Ireland..