IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Advice For Moving Palms

Jeff985

6 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

Check out what I just bought for $180.    50 inches of clear trunk. 

FCE991FD-CB9B-45E4-AC88-5F2581BF39EE.jpeg

I have an identical looking one that I bought from a local nursery for $25 recently. But it has 36in. of clear trunk. 

They have singles, doubles, triples of similar sizes and all for $25, and all have close to 3ft. of trunk. I couldn’t believe my eyes and ears when they told me the price on their Pygmies.

And it wasn’t because of some kind of clearance they had going on. They said their grower gives them a good deal on those, and for as long as they get them cheap, that’s what they’re asking. 

Bought a single because it’s easier to protect should we get hit with a bad winter freeze. 

12 hours ago, Estlander said:

I have an identical looking one that I bought from a local nursery for $25 recently. But it has 36in. of clear trunk. 

They have singles, doubles, triples of similar sizes and all for $25, and all have close to 3ft. of trunk. I couldn’t believe my eyes and ears when they told me the price on their Pygmies.

And it wasn’t because of some kind of clearance they had going on. They said their grower gives them a good deal on those, and for as long as they get them cheap, that’s what they’re asking. 

Bought a single because it’s easier to protect should we get hit with a bad winter freeze. 

Wow! For that price I’d be tempted to buy every one they have, drive them to Houston and sell them for $100 each. They’d sell fast. 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 12:19 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Hmmm gonna have to make it a point to go see it now haha. Not alot of tall Bizzies around here. Definitely more by where you moved too ..... 

I went to Lowe’s today and while I was there I took a picture of the bizzie. 

26CC5ACF-F3E0-4479-B388-ED61899BC785.jpeg

• Like 2

Well dang haha thats a nice one in a very protected spot for winter. That palm very well made it thru the 2018 winter freeze prolly with lil foliage damage =) 

• Like 1

T J 

4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Well dang haha thats a nice one in a very protected spot for winter. That palm very well made it thru the 2018 winter freeze prolly with lil foliage damage =) 

If the ones in Katy and Rosenberg survived, this one probably didn’t even notice it got cold. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

1618 Lawrence Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Hvk89rvBg3YPxjr77

This poor bizzie definitely noticed 20F =/ 

Probably bad genetics. The ones mentioned in Rosenberg and Katy are set to look good again by the end of the summer.  Many Bismarckia in Houston (within 610) saw 20F and look great. Just saw a nice one on 59/Kirby. 

Here's the one in Katy, saw upper teens in 2010, 2011 (absolutely nuked it), 2017, and 2018.  BIzzies are tough.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7844955,-95.722131,3a,75y,161.06h,76.78t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1spANT6ydcN5LGTukUIv8K-A!2e0!5s20190601T000000!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

That one in Katy will probably tend to look like that on average for the rest of its life, so not great, but hanging in there.  As a palm enthusiast, I would rather see that than no bizzie!

12 hours ago, Xenon said:

Probably bad genetics. The ones mentioned in Rosenberg and Katy are set to look good again by the end of the summer.  Many Bismarckia in Houston (within 610) saw 20F and look great. Just saw a nice one on 59/Kirby. 

Here's the one in Katy, saw upper teens in 2010, 2011 (absolutely nuked it), 2017, and 2018.  BIzzies are tough.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7844955,-95.722131,3a,75y,161.06h,76.78t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1spANT6ydcN5LGTukUIv8K-A!2e0!5s20190601T000000!7i16384!8i8192

Jonathan,

Was this bizzie in the link very silver before 2010?  From this photo it doesn't look nearly as silver as the one at the Lowe's but with time as it recovers it might get more silver.  I've read where the bizzies that show more purple color as juveniles get more intense silver as adults and are more cold hardy as well. 

Jon

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

37 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Jonathan,

Was this bizzie in the link very silver before 2010?  From this photo it doesn't look nearly as silver as the one at the Lowe's but with time as it recovers it might get more silver.  I've read where the bizzies that show more purple color as juveniles get more intense silver as adults and are more cold hardy as well. 

Jon

It's very silver, toggle the time stamp to 2015-2016 when it was looking its best in years.

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)