SilverDragon

Hyophorbe lagenicalus(Bottle palm) seeds/seedlings wanted

SilverDragon

Anyone have any bottle palm seeds/seedlings for sale? DM me or reply on here if so, thanks.

• Like 1

NatureGirl

Got green ones, but they never seem to ripen. Very strange, a mystery to me. 

0FFD61EC-D82E-4D0A-B028-1A3E2325FA2B.jpeg

9EC69860-6F8E-4F57-AD14-3FBCFDFAE598.jpeg

CDEBED04-A9E6-46B3-99BE-671D22551F0B.jpeg

3E372F53-FD1B-4715-B2BF-E40A239A3505.jpeg

• Like 1

SilverDragon
2 hours ago, NatureGirl said:

Got green ones, but they never seem to ripen. Very strange, a mystery to me. 

0FFD61EC-D82E-4D0A-B028-1A3E2325FA2B.jpeg

9EC69860-6F8E-4F57-AD14-3FBCFDFAE598.jpeg

CDEBED04-A9E6-46B3-99BE-671D22551F0B.jpeg

3E372F53-FD1B-4715-B2BF-E40A239A3505.jpeg

Wow what an awesome palm you have! Too bad about the seeds though...I wonder why that is?

NatureGirl

I wish I knew. Seeds look good on inside, easy to see embryo, but alas, forever green? Maybe someday they will turn purple.

PalmatierMeg

My largest bottle palm has been flowering for years but the seeds abort before ripening. I now cut off all inflorescenses before they open so the palm doesn't waste energy on them. I also believe seeds take at least 2 years to ripen (assuming they don't abort first).

My spindle palms seed like crazy if I let them. But no one was ever interested in spindle seeds so I cut off those inflorescenses too now.

NatureGirl

Ah, that's interesting Meg. My bottle has been fruiting for at least 10 yrs or more- BUT- the fruit was always Hollow. Just an empty green shell. Talk about weird. The last two years, it has set real fruit. But they never ripen. If you say they take 2 yrs, I will keep these on (last year I got tired of waiting and cut them off) and wait and see what happens. And yes, my Spindle fruits constantly, I almost was beginning to believe that my Spindle actually pollinated my bottle bcuz it's only about 15 ft away and I've never had pollinated bottle seeds before. I also thought maybe the stress of two hurricanes (Matthew, then Irma) in a two yrs made it produce. Who knows?