IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When to plant out Jubaea

Chester B

I have a small Jubaea that I've been growing out.  It's in a 3 gallon pot right now and is just about going pinnate.   When do you all think is the right size for it before I stick it in the ground?  I'm in a cool 8B.

Jubaea 2.jpg

Jubaea 1.jpg

I have heard that they dont pick up much more speed in the ground then in a pot. So depending on your room left of your container ranch will decide when it needs to go in =) 

T J 

I say if you have a place already for it plant it right away. But it also depends on how cold this winter is going to be, so you may have to protect it the first few winters.  The good thing about planting now is you got 4 good hot months of weather ahead for it to grow new roots and fronds.  With temps in the upper 90's this week (at least for a few days) and with a good summer ahead I say go for it but only if you have a good microclimate planting area set up.  Whatever you decide?.. do give it some organic palm fertilizer and that will make it hardier come winter.  But if you want to wait another year that would be good also. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Since I don't know your winter climate, it's hard to provide appropriate advice.  I've been growing (and killing) jubaeas on the left coast z7b for nearly 20 years.  No jubaea in my yard under a 15 gal palm has made it more than 3-5 years, even with protection.  That being said, I think one has to buy and plant out about 25 jubs to find the one that has the magic and survives where all the others fail.  Many folks in this area  plant out their newly purchased small jubs since they are supposedly very hardy.  All fail.   I have killed dozens...I feel like I should get the purple jubaea heart!.  In this location, they  must be protected in winter.  Period.   And then they are still fickle come Spring.   I have managed to keep ONE alive.... one out of a group of 4 I purchased all the same size and age.    Here it is when we transplanted it to our new home.  You can see the size of the rootball it is sitting on.   

i-ThcZrKm-L.jpg

Here it is a few weeks ago:

i-cSsgpK2-L.jpg

I do use the 15f degree rule.   If the weather is predicted to be at or below 15f, I turn on supplemental heat.  Otherwise, it just gets a cover to keep the wetness completely off of the palm.  I am also of the belief that jubs in z7 should be at least 15 years old minimum before being planted and will still need covered in winter.

If you like to gamble then go ahead the plant out now because it needs all the heat it can get to kick into root growing mode.  I wouldn't wait much longer to do so.  May it have the "magic" and quickly adjust to your soil and climate.   [IMHO, it is too small to plant out.   But you never know if you have the magic one!  :-) ]  Best of luck with it!!  May it grow and prosper.  Needs FULL sun.

• Upvote 3

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Daytime

• Like 2

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Jubaea do survive here and much much further north all the way into BC.  However I have not seen any smaller ones, they are all a pretty decent size so maybe I will wait one more year.  It's tough to say when they all got planted out. 

The smallest one I can get from my supplier would be in a 24" box and cost about $350.  I convinced him to sell me one of his small ones last year that are not for sale for $20.  So  it's actually grown very well even over winter but I did bring it inside to keep it moving.

24" box for 350$ seems like a damn good deal when your talking about how slow Jubaea's grow. I would have a tough time passing that deal up if I had a place for one haha :yay:

So like you I got a band size seedling ; )

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

24" box for 350$ seems like a damn good deal when your talking about how slow Jubaea's grow.

Probably a 4-5' wingspan on them.  I've already spent like 3K at the place so I think I'd be coming home to the locks being changed at my house.   I'm willing to wait on my little Jube.B)

5 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Probably a 4-5' wingspan on them.  I've already spent like 3K at the place so I think I'd be coming home to the locks being changed at my house.   I'm willing to wait on my little Jube.B)

:wacko: Yeah that would not be good having to sleep with your palms haha but it sure would be some instant gratification :yay: I'm a sucker for big potted palms but it hurts way more when they kill over on me =/

T J 

39 minutes ago, Chester B said:

A friend bought a 24" box in early 2000 and spent $600.00 on a 6'x6' palm. It was really nice! 

4 hours ago, Chester B said:

Jubaea does survive here and much much further north all the way into BC.  However I have not seen any smaller ones, they are all a pretty decent size so maybe I will wait one more year.  It's tough to say when they all got planted out. 

I lost a 3-gallon Jubaea once at 12F.  For it to get that cold the days have to be below freezing. I was not a happy camper that winter.  In the last 25 years, I have had three 8a lows. The rest were all 8b-9a. 

50 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Yeah that would not be good having to sleep with your palms haha but it sure would be some instant gratification

The problem with big palms is having to dig the hole!  I already some decent sized palms so I can wait, plus they're easier to sneak in the landscape when they're small.

Good to know 12F will kill one as this one is a 3 gallon and starting to point out some big fronds.  I don't think we go much below 20F here, last two winters the low I recorded was 25F but only for a couple hours.  Fortunately I picked one of the warmer areas in Portland to move and I'm on a hill so don't get frost too often.  There are some proper 9A areas in the core of Portland along the river, where they can really push things.  I know cycads do pretty well in these zones unprotected.

One trick to get younger palms that are planted in the ground is to put a portable greenhouse over them. Here is the one I used a long time ago.  6'x8'x7' greenhouse with sturdy steel framing. The greenhouse was $99.00 at Lowes. I used a portable heater inside on really cold nights. It worked great.  This was back in winter of 2012-2013.  The second photo late spring with the greenhouse off.  Mule palm is BxS. 

DSC00015_zpsqvm3jdwq.jpg

DSC00032_zpswfu3jnf9.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

It would work well, but call me lazy, if I have to protect it I don't want it.  Survival of the fittest!

35 minutes ago, Chester B said:

It would work well, but call me lazy, if I have to protect it I don't want it.  Survival of the fittest!

If I were to pay for say a Shafer JxS then id prolly do what it took to get it to a specimen sized palm =) The rest of the palm world may not get that kind of treatment haha

T J 

Call me crazy but I still like all my Trachys.  Considering I moved from a 6B where I couldn't grow any palms without protection I consider myself lucky.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

ICYMI,  here's a link to an article about a German palm grower's elaborate germination efforts with Jubaea chilensis seeds... Smart Palm Tree Greenouse: "Built to germinate the seeds of an endangered species of palm tree, this mini smart greenhouse features Raspberry Pi, numerous sensors and automated plant-care systems." https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/smart-palm-tree-greenhouse/

SmartPalmTreeGreenhouse.jpg

• Like 2