IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

3 yrs Garden Growth.

Briank

Got a Facebook Memory from 3 years ago when I was about 6 months into my Palm / Plants Craze,  and its kind of crazy how fast my knowledge and new Passion has taken me.   And how I really need to buy another Place so I can start on my next Garden ! I still got the backyard to finish but thought I would share.  Enjoy 

E0A12BFF-82E5-43D6-AD81-D0A61B93FE80.jpeg

3A76F272-D1EF-4B58-A08C-EF33DB8825A7.jpeg

8CF0ADC1-205F-45FC-9635-328831345D2A.jpeg

9E3DA307-DCE5-4FDC-BC80-08C885284E2A.jpeg

DD8E2DA1-F05F-4335-9060-04BC47CC76D4.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Upvote 5

Talk about a yard transformation :yay: looking great :greenthumb: I'm sure everyone in the neighborhood knows who has the palm fever haha. You prolly have even passed the bug onto some of your neighbors too. Looks like youll have to start planting palms in there yards !!! Does your backyard look this good too ?

T J 

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Talk about a yard transformation :yay: looking great :greenthumb: I'm sure everyone in the neighborhood knows who has the palm fever haha. You prolly have even passed the bug onto some of your neighbors too. Looks like youll have to start planting palms in there yards !!! Does your backyard look this good too ?

I’m working on it.  It has a lot of Palms,  but still only 1/2 way done.  Have to plant bunch of stuff this week and figure out what I’m gonna use for Canapy Palms back there.  Work in progress.  I have helped some of my neighbors w Bromeliads,  or other plants.  None of them still want to deal w Palms.  They all succulent lovers.   Took some Plumerias from me though 

Wondrous transformation. I'm an advocate for the jungle look.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Little space but a lot of stuff! :rolleyes:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

43 minutes ago, gilles06 said:

Little space but a lot of stuff! :rolleyes:

Fits my personality.  I’m an all in kind of guy like to standout from all the Desert Succulent scapes I see in my neighborhood. Drives me crazy hahha

I just really wanted some Shade.  My house is like a sauna in summer.   Old house no insulation.   Hotter inside than outside.  Hope it helps lol. 

@Briank Gorgeous work, Brian!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

That is a stunning transformation.

Hmm.

Be warned that palms won't shade your house much, though they'll also not drop leaves on it and rot your roof joists.

DON'T plant any big fish-tails . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

7 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

That is a stunning transformation.

Hmm.

Be warned that palms won't shade your house much, though they'll also not drop leaves on it and rot your roof joists.

DON'T plant any big fish-tails . . . .

Lol I got 2.  My dad loves them.  I’ve told him I want to pull them.   But he gets all cray cray cause he seen one big one near by.  Gonna have to cut em down in middle night while he sleeps hahaha I don’t mind having 1.  

Just now, Briank said:

Lol I got 2.  My dad loves them.  I’ve told him I want to pull them.   But he gets all cray cray cause he seen one big one near by.  Gonna have to cut em down in middle night while he sleeps hahaha I don’t mind having 1.  

Maybe plant some C. mitis, instead, they don't get too big and if they do fall over, they won't hurt anything. Yeah, after this winter I have a touch of Caryota-phobia.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That's great growth in 3 years!  I bet that walkway is a pain to get through now, but in a couple of years some of those palms will go from chest- and eye-stabbers up to just overhead.  I'm hoping to do the same with a "palm arch" over a walkway in my back yard, but I might make the walkway 5 or 6 feet wide.  :) 

I would love to see a shot from the street looking at the house.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Briank said:

I’m working on it.  It has a lot of Palms,  but still only 1/2 way done.

Amazing what you can fit in such a small space!  Looks great Brian!

Jon Sunder

Looking good.  Hard to believe that only took 3 years!

5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Maybe plant some C. mitis, instead, they don't get too big and if they do fall over, they won't hurt anything. Yeah, after this winter I have a touch of Caryota-phobia.

You had 1 you cut down from power lines, did your other one fall Down Dave? In back yard ?? 

So much nicer then just another typical lawn. Great job.

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

2 hours ago, Briank said:

You had 1 you cut down from power lines, did your other one fall Down Dave? In back yard ?? 

I had one fall over in the Super Bowl Sunday Eve windstorm; the others six in all were cut down.

Welcome to the jungle baby......

Pretty quick transformation. It’s funny cause I actually like both looks. The young, neatly groomed palm garden like in your first pic where you can really see and appreciate each palm, and I also like the jungle look. Both look great to me. My wife doesn’t so much like the wild jungle look but I have to admit my neatly groomed palm garden is turning semi jungle. It’s a delicate balance.

Anyways, your yard looks great Brian.

1 hour ago, The Gerg said:

Welcome to the jungle baby......

Pretty quick transformation. It’s funny cause I actually like both looks. The young, neatly groomed palm garden like in your first pic where you can really see and appreciate each palm, and I also like the jungle look. Both look great to me. My wife doesn’t so much like the wild jungle look but I have to admit my neatly groomed palm garden is turning semi jungle. It’s a delicate balance.

Anyways, your yard looks great Brian.

I know !!! I like em both too.  I look back and think man it was so easy to manage and enjoy.  

But even today I’m always looking to improve it everyday.  I even think of pulling palms sometimes but dad hates we killing anything.  Lol  i tend to enjoy the jungle look more.  Can’t go wrong.  And initially I told myself over plant and decide to move n add from what my eyes told me.  You just get exited to try new things and learn as you go.  

On 6/10/2019 at 8:10 AM, Chris Chance said:

Wow looks great! All that hard work is paying off. 

Some day yours will look like it too.  I’m telling you Plant Brahea Decumbans.  As much blue as you can,  and maybe Hybrid Syragus as you can in your heat.  corontata, cocoqueens, mules, and go w the livi’s man I’m tellin you they grow fast n great.  

2 hours ago, Briank said:

Some day yours will look like it too.  I’m telling you Plant Brahea Decumbans.  As much blue as you can,  and maybe Hybrid Syragus as you can in your heat.  corontata, cocoqueens, mules, and go w the livi’s man I’m tellin you they grow fast n great.  

My garden is getting there. My backyard is small and has three different mules, cocoqueen, Beccariopheonix, and Parajubaea sunka.  Only livistona I have now is chinensis but plan on getting more later. Originally I was going to work the front this spring but got to save money at the moment. 

9 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

My garden is getting there. My backyard is small and has three different mules, cocoqueen, Beccariopheonix, and Parajubaea sunka.  Only livistona I have now is chinensis but plan on getting more later. Originally I was going to work the front this spring but got to save money at the moment. 

All good choices.  And great thing about can do it as you go.  I’m saving too,  and working on backyard slowly.   Although I did just shell out 400-500$ on sabals and some others last month haha. Just wanted to get them into ground for this summer season. 

35 minutes ago, Briank said:

All good choices.  And great thing about can do it as you go.  I’m saving too,  and working on backyard slowly.   Although I did just shell out 400-500$ on sabals and some others last month haha. Just wanted to get them into ground for this summer season. 

Thanks! I worked the back first since it's the area I spend the most time at. The front has grass at the moment and I have an association so I have to submit plans and what not. Going for the same sort of look as yours actually.  Going to add rock formations in some areas and pathways.  Gardens are always work in progress though. 

Great work!

That is exactly the style I like - creating a jungle like look and you did very well!

After a while you can't look through your garden to see the other end, you got to step back and forth and turn

half way around and while doing this you will always find something new to look at you haven't seen during your first sweep...

Thank you for sharing!

best regards from Okinawa

Lars