IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I have a problem

Chester B

I went to get paint for the laundry room. I swear...

Do I have a place for these?  Not really. 

Will I find a spot? Most likely  

For the price I paid I couldn’t leave them at the cold informal big box store.   It’s like puppies at the pound.

I’m not going to lie, I snuck these ones down to my little “palm nursery” unannounced with no fanfare whatsoever  

It is amazing how different they look considering they’re both green form Chaemerops. 

90F73DD7-21D5-48C2-B094-CA63EDBEDE58.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Chester B said:

For the price I paid I couldn’t leave them at the cold informal big box store.   It’s like puppies at the pound.

I’m not going to lie, I snuck these ones down to my little “palm nursery” unannounced with no fanfare whatsoever  

It is amazing how different they look considering they’re both green form Chaemerops. 

Same thing happens to me all the time. In fact the last time it happened I bought a 15 gallon CIDP for $30. I ended up having to give it to a friend because after two months of searching, I couldn’t find a spot for it. 

• Like 2

WOW! The same thing happens to me... I was on the internet looking at palms when a Palm ads came up with mule palms in the title so I decided to take a look. Next thing I knew I had a liner mule palm in my account basket and it didn't even matter to me I didn't know what type of mule palm it was but I am sure it is BxS F1.  :P

Good thing my 7' tall abutilon died back this winter leaving me with a nice planting area. :shaka-2:

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 2

I must have the same disease.  I say I'm cleaning out my nursery.  So I go to a CFPACS event with two palms and end up coming back with four.  Oh well, at least two of them are already in the ground.  Can I call that a tie game?

• Like 4

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Always room for one more palm (or two). Pretty little Chamaerops.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Clearance sections at big boxes are my weakness. Just got 3 huge Australian sword ferns in perfect condition bursting out of their pots for 5 dollars each . Too bad the only palms they sell up here are majesties. 

13 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

I must have the same disease.  I say I'm cleaning out my nursery.  So I go to a CFPACS event with two palms and end up coming back with four.  Oh well, at least two of them are already in the ground.  Can I call that a tie game?

I call that a win for the environment. More trees =  healthy ecosystems.  You sir are an environmental warrior.

• Like 2

I’m just glad to know I’m not alone. My wife’s always making fun of my addiction. It’s nice to have a support group like this. 

• Like 2

The first step is admitting you have a problem. My only problem is I’ve run out of room. I’m working on that. Hopefully I’ll be moving soon. 

• Like 2

We all are kindred spirits. I have 250-300+ individual palms scattered around my 0.61 ac. jungle paradise. Always room for another. We are all environmental warriors in the best way possible.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

26 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

The first step is admitting you have a problem. My only problem is I’ve run out of room. I’m working on that. Hopefully I’ll be moving soon. 

I hear you I'm looking for land in the country possibly Liverpool or farther south my subdivision just isn't gonna cut it unless I start planting in the green belts haha

T J 

Just now, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I hear you I'm looking for land in the country possibly Liverpool or farther south my subdivision just isn't gonna cut it unless I start planting in the green belts haha

I started to buy a house on an acre in Lake Jackson, but last week I found out my company is relocating to north Houston. That would have made my commute 80 miles each way. I was willing to do 60 but not 80. So now I’m looking in the Seabrook/Kemah area. 

Man that drive sucks haha hope you can get good times , I'm working in Houston off the 610 west loop and traffic sucks compared to my normal drive to Texas City =) You end up in seabrook/kemah area youll atleast have Maas nursery next to you and the palm diversity is really good there being on the water

T J 

24 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Man that drive sucks haha hope you can get good times , I'm working in Houston off the 610 west loop and traffic sucks compared to my normal drive to Texas City =) You end up in seabrook/kemah area youll atleast have Maas nursery next to you and the palm diversity is really good there being on the water

I know. I love that place. One of the houses I’m looking at is within walking distance of Maas. It should be a lot warmer than where I’m at too since it’s so close to the bay. 

Foxtails and king palms have survived in pots at Maas , they definitely have a micro climate there 

T J 

I have very little room left for plants here at this point and just bought a foxtail... 

PalmTreeDude

4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Foxtails and king palms have survived in pots at Maas , they definitely have a micro climate there 

I’d be lying if I said that wasn’t a big part of the reason I’m looking in that area. I’ve seen those kings with their like 8 feet of trunk, and if I move to that area I will have buy one. 

19 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

I’d be lying if I said that wasn’t a big part of the reason I’m looking in that area. I’ve seen those kings with their like 8 feet of trunk, and if I move to that area I will have buy one. 

It absolutely makes sense haha , Kings are so fast you might as well grow them yourself with so many more options =) 

T J 

27 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

It absolutely makes sense haha , Kings are so fast you might as well grow them yourself with so many more options =) 

I already have three kings I planted last summer, but they are nowhere near big. They have grown crazy fast though. When I bought them they only had a couple incyof trunk. Now they have almost two feet not including the crown shafts. 

Just now, Jeff985 said:

I already have three kings I planted last summer, but they are nowhere near big. They have grown crazy fast though. When I bought them they only had a couple incyof trunk. Now they have almost two feet not including the crown shafts. 

That incyof was supposed to be inches of. Sorry for the confusion. 

Guilty here as well. There is always a spot whenever I see some nice butias at Lowe's. 

I think I might be in recovery. I just went to Home Depot to get a bag of palm gain and I left with palm gain and nothing else. That was a strange feeling. I don’t like it. 

I ignore the Mediterranean Fan Palms and Butias now because they sell them all the time. But if anything else is there, I'll snatch it quickly! 

PalmTreeDude

On 6/9/2019 at 5:39 PM, Chester B said:

You could always just say I lost 2 and I replaced them, so I didn’t really add to my collection I just swapped them out lol.  Untill house is full grown of Palms they’ll never know haha 

• 2 weeks later...

So my wife asked me to stop and pick up some potting soil and Lowes is on the way home. Saw these 2 bizzies in need of a good home :) 

20190620_152824.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

T J 

11 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So my wife asked me to stop and pick up some potting soil and Lowes is on the way home. Saw these 2 bizzies in need of a good home :) 

20190620_152824.jpg

Which Lowes and do they have anymore?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff985 said:

Texas City and they were the last 2 =/

They did have a 8ft bottle palm left tho =) i almost got it haha 

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Texas City and they were the last 2 =/

They did have a 8ft bottle palm left tho =) i almost got it haha 

:(

Taking the last one is only cool when I do it. 

22 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

:(

Taking the last one is only cool when I do it. 

Thats why i took 2 =) there damn near exactly the same size like siblings you cant break up :lol:

T J 

16 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Thats why i took 2 =) there damn near exactly the same size like siblings you cant break up :lol:

If you’re going to keep making logical points, then I can’t even talk to you. 

1 minute ago, Jeff985 said:

If you’re going to keep making logical points, then I can’t even talk to you. 

:floor: My wife starting calling all the other local Lowes to see if they had anymore its her Fav palm tree 

T J 

Just now, RJ said:

Mule replacements? 

Thats what my wife is thinking =/ but i havent gave up on them yet 

• Like 1

T J 

4 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

I got my 15-gal bizzy at the Lake Jackson store where they had some 5-gal sized ones also.  I heard they have some in Pearland as well.  :)   My neighbor wants one and I told him to try Pearland but they might be running out now, he'll have to hurry!

Jeff, if you call them first make sure you talk to someone who actually works the dept. and knows the difference between palms and orchids.  I had called Lake Jackson store to make sure they still had the bizzies and was told by 2 different people that they had none.  Finally I got a hold of someone who was able to have them hold one for me until I got there!

Jon Sunder

Just now, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Thats what my wife is thinking =/ but i havent gave up on them yet 

TJ, did you do the soil drench on your mules?  Seeing any improvement or additional decline?

Jon Sunder

3 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I got my 15-gal bizzy at the Lake Jackson store where they had some 5-gal sized ones also.  I heard they have some in Pearland as well.  :)   My neighbor wants one and I told him to try Pearland but they might be running out now, he'll have to hurry!

Jeff, if you call them first make sure you talk to someone who actually works the dept. and knows the difference between palms and orchids.  I had called Lake Jackson store to make sure they still had the bizzies and was told by 2 different people that they had none.  Finally I got a hold of someone who was able to have them hold one for me until I got there!

I had a similar issue last year when I bought my foxtails. I called two Lowes stores who said they had them and they didn’t. Finally drove to the Texas City store and found them. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

I had a similar issue last year when I bought my foxtails. I called two Lowes stores who said they had them and they didn’t. Finally drove to the Texas City store and found them. 

Texas City had 3 huge foxtails all over 10ft tall i believe 99$ each 

10 minutes ago, Fusca said:

TJ, did you do the soil drench on your mules?  Seeing any improvement or additional decline?

Jon i did do the drench and the maganese and i got my fingers crossed keeping an eye on them everyday. The frizzled top mule hasmt spear pulled yet so there is definitely still fight in it. The other one still has some fizzling from peroxide treatment but i think it picked up some growth =) 

T J 

Same thing happened to me whenever they have big trachycarpus in stock...haven't seen them yet or else I'd have more planted lol!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto