IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

“Dypsis arenarium” flowering?

quaman58

I’ve purchased a number of palms under this name over the years. In general, they’ve always looked a lot D. lutecsens, but much more colorful especially when young. I’ve always been a bit skeptical after looking at some online images of palms that are supposedly arenarium. Anyway , there’s been plenty of discussion about this palm over the years. I’ve also posted a picture of this particular palm purchased as such. It is rather pretty, it’s husky, it’s solitary, and it’s pretty fast. And now it’s starting to flower. Is there anything I should be looking at when attempting to differentiate between it and lutecsens? Or is it just officially a colorful version of lutecsens? Thanks in advance..

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

My D arenarum has very small trunk diameter vs lutescens:

51D821A1-D2F6-44B3-8F41-28DCF6C7F331.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Most every other one I've seen is clustering, as is yours Joe. Actually, so are lutecsens, now that I think about it. That definitely makes for thinner trunks. But this was a Floribunda arenarium that never suckered. Weird.

Bret

I sent these pics of a clustering Dypsis to Dr. John Dransfield last year for possible ID. His opinion was Dypsis arenarum. My seedlings had red new spears like Joe's picture, but they opened green. Note the waxy layer on the leaf undersides. Leaves arch noticeably, and the inner part of the leaf sheaths are brown or even red brown. 

arenarum_1_MLM_072718.thumb.JPG.07d96bd936df38357075c4ed1a8f23d4.JPG

arenarum_2_MLM_072718.thumb.JPG.a1d8a89eca1bebce880de9381c690764.JPG

arenarum_flwrsnfrt_MLM_072718.thumb.JPG.209692a0e600b5eb8d30195eab720ea1.JPG

arenarum_flwrs_MLM_072718.thumb.JPG.a4b01046e6905c028fa3fb75dc1e675c.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Thanks Mike. If it is the real deal, it's sure not what I have. I may have mentioned before, but on a different thread on Palmtalk, someone thought that Jeff Markus was selling the "real deal". So I asked Jeff about it, & he looked at me like I had 3 heads. (Actually it was over the phone, but you get the idea). So, I ordered another few just in case, and ended up with....the same plant I already had several of. So I'm ready to proclaim from the rooftop that most of us are growing just a colorful  version of lutecsens.  And while I'm ranting, Syagrus "abreojos" is just a queen palm.

• Like 1

Bret

On 6/10/2019 at 7:11 AM, quaman58 said:

Most every other one I've seen is clustering, as is yours Joe. Actually, so are lutecsens, now that I think about it. That definitely makes for thinner trunks. But this was a Floribunda arenarium that never suckered. Weird.

Bret,

My largest one has several rings of trunk, but the diameter of the palm is no more than 2".  Lutescens suckers get much fatter.

• Like 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

@quaman58 I think you have what I have, a D. lutescens with few trunks, more yellow coloring. Mine's blooming like yours and set a lot of seed. (And, if you don't want seed from yours, I'll take all you'll send me!)

Arenarum is a different critter completely, @joe_OC points out, and I've found too. The inflorescences are totally different from lutescens. Arenarum below:

image.png.9fe16272cb211a5a60b8619ef4aa3450.png

Here's mine, actually a lutescens sold to me as an arenarum.

image.png.5805b60fb611936c22e469a8c6ece0a8.png

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@quaman58 I think you have what I have, a D. lutescens with few trunks, more yellow coloring. Mine's blooming like yours and set a lot of seed. (And, if you don't want seed from yours, I'll take all you'll send me!)

Arenarum is a different critter completely, @joe_OC points out, and I've found too. The inflorescences are totally different from lutescens. Arenarum below:

image.png.9fe16272cb211a5a60b8619ef4aa3450.png

Here's mine, actually a lutescens sold to me as an arenarum.

image.png.5805b60fb611936c22e469a8c6ece0a8.png

So - Dave - then what do you think the plant that Mike posted is? Don't his flowers appear kinda "lutescens?" I sure wish I knew with some confidence what the real D. arenarum is, and if I have ever seen one in person.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

On 6/10/2019 at 12:44 PM, mike in kurtistown said:

I sent these pics of a clustering Dypsis to Dr. John Dransfield last year for possible ID. His opinion was Dypsis arenarum. My seedlings had red new spears like Joe's picture, but they opened green. Note the waxy layer on the leaf undersides. Leaves arch noticeably, and the inner part of the leaf sheaths are brown or even red brown. 

arenarum_1_MLM_072718.thumb.JPG.07d96bd936df38357075c4ed1a8f23d4.JPG

arenarum_2_MLM_072718.thumb.JPG.a1d8a89eca1bebce880de9381c690764.JPG

arenarum_flwrsnfrt_MLM_072718.thumb.JPG.209692a0e600b5eb8d30195eab720ea1.JPG

arenarum_flwrs_MLM_072718.thumb.JPG.a4b01046e6905c028fa3fb75dc1e675c.JPG

Very nice palm, Mike.  Did the palm always have the waxy underside or did it come later as it matured?  Mine does not have the waxy underside.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

3 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

So - Dave - then what do you think the plant that Mike posted is? Don't his flowers appear kinda "lutescens?" I sure wish I knew with some confidence what the real D. arenarum is, and if I have ever seen one in person.

Good question, maybe take the lower picture off the D. arenarum entry for PalmPedia . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, joe_OC said:

Very nice palm, Mike.  Did the palm always have the waxy underside or did it come later as it matured?  Mine does not have the waxy underside.  

That's a nice compact inflorescence, the difference between it and D. lute is obvious to me.

Dave,

Thanks for weighing in; sounds like you've had the same doubts about what we're growing. And you would be most welcome to any seeds that hold..

Bret

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

That's a nice compact inflorescence, the difference between it and D. lute is obvious to me.

Here's what I have been growing as D. arenarum - but have always had my doubts. To me it is different than a D. lute - but whether D. arenarum I have no idea. I guess I will have to wait for the flowers, which should be coming soon.

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

11 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Here's what I have been growing as D. arenarum - but have always had my doubts. To me it is different than a D. lute - but whether D. arenarum I have no idea. I guess I will have to wait for the flowers, which should be coming soon.

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

It’s magnificent what ever it is 

Here's what my palms looked like in 2012 as seedlings:

arenarum_081712_MLM_rsz.thumb.jpg.564f2365ca7f782cadcd0d86d406bcfc.jpg

arenarum_081712_MLM_stems_rsz.thumb.jpg.a1e925f769ca1925735866fb0edb42ed.jpg

I saw these palms (Dypsis arenarum) in the wild in a nature reserve in eastern Madagascar in October 2015. We were led on the tour by Dr. John Dransfield, and the ID's are from him. Here are two photos:

361230619_MR4-18-Dypsisarenarum_1.thumb.jpg.e21a1b960f46b4c51c776bd5cfa52c57.jpg

1755825305_MR4-23-Dypsisarenarum_3.thumb.jpg.b7b23231807fe9ff3e9074735055ae06.jpg

• Like 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

14 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

Looks like the recent pics of Lafazamanga that have been floating around. Gorgeous!

45 minutes ago, mike in kurtistown said:

I saw these palms (Dypsis arenarum) in the wild in a nature reserve in eastern Madagascar in October 2015. We were led on the tour by Dr. John Dransfield, and the ID's are from him. Here are two photos:

361230619_MR4-18-Dypsisarenarum_1.thumb.jpg.e21a1b960f46b4c51c776bd5cfa52c57.jpg

1755825305_MR4-23-Dypsisarenarum_3.thumb.jpg.b7b23231807fe9ff3e9074735055ae06.jpg

Does look a lot like mine.  Will enjoy them whatever they are.

image.png

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I have several that I have purchased as Arenarum, this one has a lot more trunks than the others and is more untidy and more upright, the others have only four trunks each.

341.jpg

342.jpg

• Like 1

Gosh this thread is amazing but has left me so confused.  A lot of these pics look like my dypsis baby red stem. 

6 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Gosh this thread is amazing but has left me so confused.  A lot of these pics look like my dypsis baby red stem. 

I agree John. I saw the similarity as well with what is being sold as “baby red stem”. Although I remember  the parent plant of “baby red stem” being a bit of a thicker palm than a lot of these Arenarum photos. I’ll have to give it another look when I’m at Floribunda again. 

On 6/13/2019 at 3:21 PM, Dypsisdean said:

Yike, I don't think I answered correctly, but I think Mike's palm is an arenarum. You can see how compact the inflorescence is, compared to the long, branchier lutescens, like mine and Bret's.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, mike in kurtistown said:

Obscenities have been duly screamed.

4 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Here is my baby red stem splitting for the third time 

20190617_062930.jpg

20190617_062856.jpg

Was that originally from Floribunda?

16 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

Was that originally from Floribunda?

I think so