IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Monachello lemon

Laaz

I've been searching for this lemon for a while & can't find it. If anyone has a plant & would like to sell or share a piece of budwood please pm me.

• 1 month later...

If you are looking to make home brewed lemoncello then the best are from the Naples and Sorrento area, the Amalfi Coast which is breath takingly beautiful.  They use Grappa a clear brandy made from the stems, seeds and pomace leftover from wine production.  Those guys never wasted anything.  I just use Vodka from Costco (same as Grey Goose but under their label and cheaper), sugar and lemon rinds but not the white membrane which can make it bitter so I use a carrot peeler to get off the oily yellow part.  https://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/products/santa-teresa-feminillo-lemon-one-year-old-tree but they only ship to CA.   Perhaps an order can be reshipped in a plain brown box.  I'd help and these are baby plants 12-18" tall so shipping would be inexpensive.  I doubt that a California citrus from a certified nursery would endanger the SC citrus industry, ha-ha.   Plants from EBay are crossing international borders by the score daily and I've gotten some really rare palms (for here) that way.  Shipment to the EU is very, very strict though.  Their nursery is in Wastonville CA at least five hours driving north of LA where there are some citrus issues and we have none here that I know of.  My trees are healthy and no sign of disease or bugs.  I just get a few Yellow Swallowtails that lay their eggs on them so I dont' mess with them. I treat all new palms, orchids etc. with a sprayer (old windex bottle) of medical alcohol to rid them of any unseen and maybe microscopic baby scales, aphids or whatever that are hiding in the foliage.  Plant shows are notorious for being sites for cross infection as the bugs hop or crawl from one plant to another.  I believe the alcohol soaks in and makes the whole plant toxic.  Isobutyl and methyl alcohol are deadly poison to us and all other animals and insects.   Which is why some tourists are dying in the Dominican Republic and India, Iran and now Costa Rica have people being poisoned by tainted booze.  To plants it is just another carbohydrate such as starch or sugar.  Beer and booze make us fat as we use that form of alcohol as a carb so I'd assume that plants see alcohols as a carb too.  

I have a Santa Teresa tree from Sorrento that I got from Four Winds Citrus in California where I live.   Another is Sfusato d'Amalfi.  

I collect Italian lemon trees. I have all of those plus some, but am still looking for the Monachello... Fourwinds ships to all states except commercial citrus states.

Edited by Laaz

• 9 months later...

Laaz. I have a very large bearing-size Monachello lemon tree (amongst about 100 other citrus varieties), and can provide you bud wood if you still need it.  Let me know.