IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Sp. dark mealy bug

The Gerg

First of all if you read the thread title and viewed it hoping to see a really nice specimen I apologize for misleading you. :D

But a few years back I got a Dypsis sp. dark mealy bug from Floribunda. The first pic below shows it not too long after I got it. I let it acclimate to my climate awhile and then finally went ahead and put it in the ground. Not long after the spear opened up and looked great. Then the thing went completely dormant with all the leaves eventually dying off. It was not rapid. It was gradual. But, it left the plant with no remaining leaves. I finally gave up on it and dug it out. Of course I put it in a pot hoping that someday maybe, just maybe it might surprise me.

Well today it has. I finally see signs of life from it. I was on my patio having my morning coffee and was looking through some of my potted plants and low and behold, I see a new spear poking out of the soil. So I am very happy to see this. Of course, I am wondering will this thing ever be able to maintain holding several living leaves at once for me. Nonetheless, happy to see it is still living after digging it up a few months ago after a couple years of no new spear.

4E172289-FCD9-4EDF-B04F-CD4DC27C1B53.thumb.jpeg.61a9684e0d945dd67183ea46d407be45.jpegimage.thumb.jpg.c4ac3e668459e55bf95610bbad80e73b.jpg

Edited by The Gerg
Deleted duplicate picture
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Good luck!!

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I have found these to be tough in both definitions of the word. First, they are pretty difficult to kill outright, as yours has shown. They do have that remarkable will to live. The problem with us attempting to grow these in our temperate climate is that it’s just too cool. Just a few more degrees year round seems to make all the difference. A bit of relief from the sun in our low humidity helps as well. So there you go; just find a warm shady spot in your yard and you’ll be just fine. :) 

• Like 3

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

6 hours ago, quaman58 said:

So there you go; just find a warm shady spot in your yard and you’ll be just fine. :) 

A fine sense of humor Bret!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

13 hours ago, quaman58 said:

I have found these to be tough in both definitions of the word. First, they are pretty difficult to kill outright, as yours has shown. They do have that remarkable will to live. The problem with us attempting to grow these in our temperate climate is that it’s just too cool. Just a few more degrees year round seems to make all the difference. A bit of relief from the sun in our low humidity helps as well. So there you go; just find a warm shady spot in your yard and you’ll be just fine. :) 

Planted your big boy yet Bret?

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

That I did Bill; probably six weeks back. So far, so good. The newest leaf is the tallest; hopefully that trend will continue..

image.jpg

• Like 7

Bret

5 hours ago, quaman58 said:

That I did Bill; probably six weeks back. So far, so good. The newest leaf is the tallest; hopefully that trend will continue..

image.jpg

Looks great!! Looks planted over by your "nursery"? on the North side?  Good luck Mr.! :D (Hey, its in the good juju zone only 30' from the fenestralis?! ) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Looks great!! Looks planted over by your "nursery"? on the North side?  Good luck Mr.! :D (Hey, its in the good juju zone only 30' from the fenestralis?! ) 

Exactly right Bill. Took the place of my recently deceased Carpoxylon. Guess the area has it's limits! :)

Bret

Killer size on that dark mealy mine is a little smaller and is opening up a new leaf right now. I noticed this leaf doesn’t have any color like it usually does . Mine came out of green house when I got it and took a beating when I first got it but it is doing pretty good now I think it has finally adapted for the most part. Recent heat has definetly woke it up and got t moving . 

• 6 months later...

For documenting purposes...6 months after my original post showing a long awaited new spear poking out about 1”, it has slowly grown to about 18” and finally opened up. I love these palms but not sure they will ever be a winner for me in my area. I will of course keep caring for it and see if it ever picks up speed. 

F3BAF0DF-235E-4E62-8EC5-DAA127AAC15A.thumb.jpeg.32a6b0aff5b7ca329a4daf02201a5a74.jpegAF3B97DC-DA7A-4E42-945C-7250EEEEDBBC.thumb.jpeg.bddafcba1e64392119b2beb865420ab1.jpeg

FFC9E784-E3A3-43F8-8172-9CBC7A9E4E53.jpeg

• Like 1

They grow so slow that at this point,  I think a year of rehab in a greenhouse is needed.

Any setback in our cool climate is no bueno. 

I had one once upon a time that seemed to be moving along. It was about half the size of Brett's in the picture.

A big wind event blew a trash can on the new spear and broke it pre-opening.  It never could recover.

Like Brett said it hung around for almost two years showing some signs of life before.....

oh yeah, the irony is I placed the trash can there to protect from the big wind event......  brilliant

11 hours ago, TomJ said:

oh yeah, the irony is I placed the trash can there to protect from the big wind event......  brilliant

Hopefully you can laugh about that now. :D

I've had two Dypsis "dark mealy bugs" in ground for about 5 years now.    They can be slow-growing, although mine appear to grow along nicely with around two new leaves a year.

BajTqtI.jpg

lovqoP2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

On 6/9/2019 at 2:55 PM, quaman58 said:

image.jpg

Looking forward to more photos, in the coming years, Bret.  Looks like you got a good spot picked out.  I’d love to do an annual tour!

57421D1C-8808-4BC2-9D74-8D5C93C93588.thumb.jpeg.07e688151af06531a9d7eda430deb6f1.jpeg

Edited by The Steve
  • Like 2

Here's a few pics of my second Dypsis "dark mealy bug" which has been in ground for around 5 years now.    It was attacked by weevils the last two years which really set it back - it should look a lot better than it does.  Anyway, I have the weevils under control so things are looking better now.

SZ5dPms.jpg

nKtWjIQ.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

• 4 months later...
On 6/9/2019 at 2:55 PM, quaman58 said:

image.jpg

Bret - Can you provide and update on your Dark Mealy?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 12/23/2019 at 6:29 PM, steve99 said:

Here's a few pics of my second Dypsis "dark mealy bug" which has been in ground for around 5 years now.    It was attacked by weevils the last two years which really set it back - it should look a lot better than it does.  Anyway, I have the weevils under control so things are looking better now.

SZ5dPms.jpg

nKtWjIQ.jpg

How about a quick update?

Hmm. AFTER weevils of doom? Holy cow, 2-4-6-8, might time to emigrate . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

11 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

How about a quick update?

Hmm. AFTER weevils of doom? Holy cow, 2-4-6-8, might time to emigrate . . . .

Here you go.  A new leaf opened a few weeks ago.

t1KA1nQ.jpg

MFN2cCE.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

My experience matches others in cooler climates. Really hard to outright kill, but mine never really put on any meaningful growth before eventually shrinking to nothing and giving up after maybe 5-6 years.  Far too cool here at 38S latitude, I won’t bother trying again. 

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

• 1 year later...

On 4/28/2020 at 12:40 PM, steve99 said:

Here you go.  A new leaf opened a few weeks ago.

t1KA1nQ.jpg

MFN2cCE.jpg

My 

My Dypsis "dark mealy bug"  opened a leaf leaf just a few days ago..   It's starting to get some size about it now.

uOEBU6A.jpg

pF0n2dd.jpg

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, steve99 said:

My Dypsis "dark mealy bug"  opened a leaf leaf just a few days ago..   It's starting to get some size about it now.

uOEBU6A.jpg

pF0n2dd.jpg

39ADC889-0CAC-4D9E-BA83-4275FB7D6737.thumb.jpeg.c91100d7743e2d4fc4bd04c75054ec27.jpeg

• Like 2

wow :wub2: Beautiful palms! I have some tiny seedlings, looks like I have a while to wait till they are like that. 

4 hours ago, TropicalGardenSpain said:

wow :wub2: Beautiful palms! I have some tiny seedlings, looks like I have a while to wait till they are like that. 

Like you, most of my palms were purchased small or germinated myself. So long waits but the advantage is getting to see all the changes as they grow. I was reminded with that cute baby photo expressing the “wow” factor of Steve99’s gorgeous palm!

My only one has suffered various tortures mostly being stuck in a pot way too long associated with a move and then Hurricane María. However just today I noticed it has gotten happy recently and with the beginning wet season it might leap.

I will try for a photo soon. 

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

I had 6 4” from floribunda and not a single one made it. I’m going to wait at least until I can find a 1 gallon or bigger. 

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

On 4/1/2022 at 4:48 PM, Cindy Adair said:

Like you, most of my palms were purchased small or germinated myself. So long waits but the advantage is getting to see all the changes as they grow. I was reminded with that cute baby photo expressing the “wow” factor of Steve99’s gorgeous palm!

My only one has suffered various tortures mostly being stuck in a pot way too long associated with a move and then Hurricane María. However just today I noticed it has gotten happy recently and with the beginning wet season it might leap.

I will try for a photo soon. 

Looking forward to seeing the photo. Yes its great seeing everything grow and we can be proud with the achievement of starting from scratch. Its hard work dealing with seedlings but very rewarding when you start to get thing right. 

Thanks for the reminder TropicalGardenSpain!

I just walked a bit to the tree for these photos.

The size 7 women’s shoe in the lower left of the second photo gives an idea of size.

2CD2CE3B-D763-45F2-9AD0-03067969D03F.thumb.jpeg.f91ee766a477e92d53e5c47b381cc153.jpeg

922D372C-33EE-4A0A-8E67-BB8719D74A60.thumb.jpeg.0ba97d820ca41cc77f34f644b67aa1e1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2019 at 10:34 AM, JubaeaMan138 said:

Killer size on that dark mealy mine is a little smaller and is opening up a new leaf right now. I noticed this leaf doesn’t have any color like it usually does . Mine came out of green house when I got it and took a beating when I first got it but it is doing pretty good now I think it has finally adapted for the most part. Recent heat has definetly woke it up and got t moving . 

Are you growing it in a pot or in ground in Riverside? 

Edited by pmaga

Zone 10A

• 5 months later...

A new leaf opened on my Dypsis"dark mealy bug" a few weeks ago..  I suspect I might see some trunk very soon.

ioROiU4.jpg

ZZaYHcU.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Man I just love these things.
@steve99 Yours look incredible! 
I have these 3 little FB specimens waiting in pots for their shot at greatness. Hopefully I can get at least one of them to that size. 
Anyone else growing these in Florida? 

AE5ADDA6-43FF-4CF9-BC80-2E69FC32CE84.jpeg

DF0E1AB2-DE65-4BD6-B46B-E0D9EAE6F5A4.jpeg

946DA36C-66A2-4B53-BD11-B91282E2FB05.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/6/2022 at 3:21 AM, realarch said:

Steve, that thing looks incredible! Definition of a specimen palm.

Tim

Thanks Tim.  I'm sure I'll be posting more pics before summer ends.

These are great palms! Bought 15 of them in 1G pots from Floribunda a number of years ago and planted them more or less in a group. Lost a few over the years, for various reasons, but happily the survivors are doing great. Seven in this photo, even though one of the larger ones is not easily visible. It's in the back, with the fronds towering over the smaller one in the front (#3 from the left). Leilani Estates, Big Island.

DSC_6515(3).JPG

• Like 3

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm