IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Massive "Daytona Beach area" Royals

Reeverse

These are in Port Orange about 3 miles from the ocean south of Daytona. Looking healthy

IMG_2122(1).jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

I’d say nowadays, Roystonea regia should be a somewhat safe bet right on the coast from Daytona Beach South.  They will get some cosmetic damage many years in and nearly as far north as Daytona, but should survive fairly long term between rare severe freezes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

I’d say nowadays, Roystonea regia should be a somewhat safe bet right on the coast from Daytona Beach South.  They will get some cosmetic damage many years in and nearly as far north as Daytona, but should survive fairly long term between rare severe freezes.

Okay sure, plant them.  But why would you say they are safe in Daytona?

• Like 1

Brevard County, Fl

In my opinion, they have a decent chance at long-term survival right on the coast as far north as Daytona Beach.  They may not look their best much or most of the time, but with decent care, should survive.  Also, by long-term, I mean 10-20 years (maybe as long as 30) between big freezes, which mainly applies between say New Smyrna Beach and Daytona Beach.  South of New Smyrna Beach right on the coast, they should survive longer.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jimbean said:

Okay sure, plant them.  But why would you say they are safe in Daytona?

These are 2 miles south of the Daytona Beach line. Pretty sure their safe. These have been in the ground since 1990

• Like 6

3 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

In my opinion, they have a decent chance at long-term survival right on the coast as far north as Daytona Beach.  They may not look their best much or most of the time, but with decent care, should survive.  Also, by long-term, I mean 10-20 years (maybe as long as 30) between big freezes, which mainly applies between say New Smyrna Beach and Daytona Beach.  South of New Smyrna Beach right on the coast, they should survive longer.

There are some fairly large Royal palms on the West side of US 1 just North of New Smyrna Beach.  These have been there for a number of years as they were originally planted when the property was an automobile dealership.

These are on the mainland (and not on the barrier island).  So, this would seem to support the opinion stated by palmsOrl.  The caveat is that they may not look their best in some years.  But, it shows that it is possible to plant and enjoy Royal palms as far north as Eastern Volusia County.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

I rode by those royals a few weeks ago and they looked great! There is also a smaller royal along the St Johns River a few miles south of those. Much smaller, and protected by the owner. I have some hope that it will mature though, on the opposite end of of this block there are mature foxtails and just across the river, a healthy looking group of dypsis decaryi, each about 15 or 20 feet tall. Not to mention, trunking majesties scattered throughout some neighborhoods in the area. The massive live oaks everywhere providing frost protection probably help.

https://goo.gl/maps/7dCeeiUtLav1vjDL6

https://ibb.co/QrzLVM5

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I just noticed a decent sized trunking Royal Palm in Eustis yesterday. It is at the intersection of 441 an 19 south of downtown. Its in a backyard or a house on the northwest side of Lake Woodward. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Mine here in Mt Dora have almost fully outgrown their freeze damage from Jan 2018 , they are approximately 30’ now . 

986C450A-FDFD-484D-8327-E4301C8B4FA6.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, mike-coral gables said:

Mine here in Mt Dora have almost fully outgrown their freeze damage from Jan 2018 , they are approximately 30’ now .

You have some really awesome stuff up there.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

• 11 months later...

Awesome Nick you found them! Pictures do not do those palms justice. Definitely long term survivors in our area no matter what people say. 

• Like 1

Just now, Reeverse said:

Awesome Nick you found them! Pictures do not do those palms justice. Definitely long term survivors in our area no matter what people say. 

I was shocked at the size in person. They towered over everything. 

• Like 3

On 6/8/2019 at 3:15 PM, Reeverse said:

These are 2 miles south of the Daytona Beach line. Pretty sure their safe. These have been in the ground since 1990

Are you sure they've been there since 1990? I first saw these royals around 1999 and they weren't small then so 1990 does sound about right.  

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

6 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Are you sure they've been there since 1990? I first saw these royals around 1999 and they weren't small then so 1990 does sound about right.  

The address was created in June 1990 per the property appraiser so that’s the earliest they possibly would’ve been planted. 

• Like 3

Take a drive down the South peninsula , southward from the Dunlawton bridge to the inlet ,  on Cardinal Dr  , or S. Peninsula Dr. , and

you will see a considerable number of Royals and other various crownshaft palms .  On the leeward side of the peninsula , the winds are less

impactful , and so the plants are more lush .

We all know of the Coconut on Dahlia , just off A1A ,  and not too far south of that is another medium sized Coco .

From Dunlawton towards the north , there are also some Royals in clusters , and  also a Coconut or 3 , along the way . 

In Ormond , and a few places in Daytona , I know of several large Royals that have been in place since the 80's .  These all suffered during the Freezes

of the late 80's , and the 90's , and 2010 , but had size on their side , and came through . I know of one large Royal near me, on the mainland side , that is of the same era .

Virtually none survived the 1983 and 1985 super freezes  though .

Various fairly large Ficus's can now be seen hereabouts as well , and over the years I have seen some of those go from quite large , to  frozen to the ground stumps , and back again

repeatedly .  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

@Reeverse text me photos of these recently so I had to go check it out myself. They’re in the same neighborhood as the original “massive Daytona area royals.”

These two are off Teaberry Lane in Port Orange.  

27383EA7-BDED-4AB0-AFD2-695455FF40DE.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Nice! Glad you got to see them. Did you see the Arecas on the side of the house. You can tell we have been warm 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Reeverse said:

Nice! Glad you got to see them. Did you see the Arecas on the side of the house. You can tell we have been warm 

YES. I was massively jealous. Hoping mine look like that. Reminds me of the line of them at the house off eastbound Granada near Nova in Ormond...gorgeous. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I would love to plant a Royal at my house here in Ormond Beach . I’m not entirely sold on their chance to thrive but might take the chance since they are stunning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J from Fl said:

I would love to plant a Royal at my house here in Ormond Beach . I’m not entirely sold on their chance to thrive but might take the chance since they are stunning.

The royals in Port Orange have managed to succeed without any special microclimate so I think they’re well worth a shot in Ormond. Particularly if you’re east of Clyde Morris.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

The royals in Port Orange have managed to succeed without any special microclimate so I think they’re well worth a shot in Ormond. Particularly if you’re east of Clyde Morris.

I will be the real test...west of 95 off LPGA. A hair south of Ormond, but less ocean influence. 

However, seeing as I’ll baby them for life, perhaps my care will provide an advantage to the average homeowner. They’re all planted to get sun the moment it rises for maximum warmth. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NickJames said:

I will be the real test...west of 95 off LPGA. A hair south of Ormond, but less ocean influence. 

However, seeing as I’ll baby them for life, perhaps my care will provide an advantage to the average homeowner. They’re all planted to get sun the moment it rises for maximum warmth. 

You’re doing a lot great experiments there. :greenthumb:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

You’re doing a lot great experiments there. :greenthumb:

It’ll only be great if they survive. 

Many tears if they don’t. :’(

I will be ordering some sort of heating setup, at least for the smaller stuff. The two tall field grown royal palms might not be feasible to protect. Definitely the cocos - almost wonder why I couldn’t Just put a canopy tent over it with heater underneath.

6 hours ago, Reeverse said:

I have a few that are on there way to becoming big boys. Cant wait 

20200614_181339.jpg

Holy cow! That’s already a monster. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2020 at 8:38 PM, NickJames said:

I paid a visit to these delightful specimens tonight. I was drooling. 

5FCD0A64-FAB2-428D-9852-05CA9E2542B4.jpeg

768E87A7-296D-4875-8706-C35F688C16FE.jpeg

Where , what street, are these royals on?  I'd like to see them on Street View. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, howfam said:

Where , what street, are these royals on?  I'd like to see them on Street View. 

Pendlebury Ct

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was driving today and saw a royal that I’ve never seen before. 

125 N Ridgewood in Daytona Beach, basically on US 1 at US 92  

I was driving too fast to get my own photos but I found it on street view. It appeared to be MUCH larger now than in this street view look. It was around 3pm and in total shade. It only gets N and NW exposure. Hard to say it is pre-2010, but I can’t imagine it grows as fast as full sun and heavily watered royals? I can’t really say for sure how much water it gets, but it’s surrounded by impervious area so I can’t imagine it has many sources. 

MUCH closer to the beach than me obviously but giving me a little hope? Lol

F7B2FBB2-6490-4ED9-A43B-83992E30ECD0.png

015D6435-7B3D-4C27-A385-6FAC68AC184F.png

@NickJames Nice palm!  It's not on any of the street views older than 2019.  This means it had to be planted after the June 2017 street view was taken.

I think you'll have decent luck if you get them to the size in the photo.  Once they get some weight on them, they are usually good to go unless we get one of those record freezes.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

8 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@NickJames Nice palm!  It's not on any of the street views older than 2019.  This means it had to be planted after the June 2017 street view was taken.

I think you'll have decent luck if you get them to the size in the photo.  Once they get some weight on them, they are usually good to go unless we get one of those record freezes.

Ah, thanks. I’m on my phone and haven’t figured out how to see historical street views on the app. 

It must have been planted with semi-decent height to it then ?

will it grow long-term in nearly full shade?

19 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Ah, thanks. I’m on my phone and haven’t figured out how to see historical street views on the app. 

It must have been planted with semi-decent height to it then ?

will it grow long-term in nearly full shade?

Definitely planted as a larger palm.  Time will tell if it will stay healthy without full sun.  During the summer, the area gets some sun.  Ideally, the little nook it is tucked into would have been on the southeast side of the building instead of the northwest side.  Then it would have pretty much an ideal microclimate.

Lakeland, FL