IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinating basselinia gracilis

palmad Merc

Has anyone tried germinating Basselinia gracilis seeds, any tips hints would be greatly appreciated :excl::wacko:

For Bassellinia I would use baggies with damp orchid moss, then place them in a warm place. In winter, I keep my bagged seeds in a small basket set atop the refrigerator. I usually get little germination action until I place them in a shady place outdoors after spring heat ratchets up. You could also try them in pots with a very well draining mix but you will have a harder time maintaining necessary humidity indoors without some kind of setup. Check out some of @Rickybobby's posts of his indoor germination area.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks Palmatiermeg, I'll go with baggie as you suggested, also heard Basselinia can be a pain to germ. :shaka-2::greenthumb:

3 hours ago, palmad Merc said:

Thanks Palmatiermeg, I'll go with baggie as you suggested, also heard Basselinia can be a pain to germ. :shaka-2::greenthumb:

Baggie Method works just fine with these terms. 

Fresh seed proper moisture and proper heat. Bottom heat can be used in context. But for myself. Depending on the species I use a a heat mat with a thermostat and a probe. So the probe is in the soil with the seeds and makes sure I don’t fry the seeds. My bucket method works good as well depending on your means 

• Upvote 1

Yes, I've made a heat box with shelves and I have heat mats and heat cable, with a prob, measuring temp between 28 to 32 Celsius, 

I had a small seedling inside for a few years and outside for a couple of years.

I don't use supplementary heating but moved it around to the warmest/protected spots that I had in the house or yard.

I couldn't keep it alive though.  I never worked out what it needed. In retrospect perhaps a better draining potting mix?

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 1 year later...
On 6/9/2019 at 4:08 PM, palmad Merc said:

Yes, I've made a heat box with shelves and I have heat mats and heat cable, with a prob, measuring temp between 28 to 32 Celsius, 

Did these germinate? I have some seeds at the momoent curious how long they took to germinate also do you have any photos?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Palms Brisbane said:

Did these germinate? I have some seeds at the momoent curious how long they took to germinate also do you have any photos?

Cheers

No man, I've not had luck with Basselinia as yet 

No worries, stumbled across older post was hoping you had success.

These are the only seeds from my last batch ordered which haven’t germisnted. Ill keep waiting... 

Cheers

• Upvote 1

None of mine have germinated after 10 months in my highly effective, insulated, bottom heat germination box,  with pulsed heat, 12 hours on/off.   RPS seed source, never again.

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

Thank you for the additional feedback @Darold Petty.

I ordered 200 seeds (RPS). They are outside in boxes with Perlite and coir.

Some seeds were soft as in when I pressed them squeezed to nothing (rot?). Some still look like they have potential but no germination so far... been just under 2 months.

Outside temperature in greenhouse is 34-36C during day and 22-24C at night.