AshW

Cyrtostachys renda Problems

AshW

Hi Guys,

I thought I was getting on top of the problems with my lipstick palms, but they seem to be struggling again. After around 6 months of no problems, I noticed a few of the fronds on one palm has started to dry up. Seemed like it is starting at the tip of the fronds and working the way down. I gave one a little "tug" and it pulled completely out. The bottom was brown and squishy. 

As you can see from the photos, they are looking pretty sad.

Any help would be appreciated.

uMY%JoxVQliVII64azUYBQ.jpg

CD9zsJ0gQkW4BLLCyTDfQw.jpg

f3DA9tpdSpiB7GPHPU3Bvg.jpg

palmsOrl

Well, being located in Singapore, your climate is perfect for Cyrtostachys renda.  That said, it looks like your plants are located on a balcony.  Are they kept moist/wet consistently like they require?  Have they been fertilized (could be over-fertilizing if so)?  Also, it could be a root fungus, though I have only experienced and heard of this problem with cool to chilly temperatures and that is clearly not a factor.

Please let us know more about their specific care leading up to now and that might help.

AshW

I used a slow release fertiliser of them in February (Osmocote) and they have been performing well. They may have had a bit less water over the last few weeks, but I would expect all to be impacted, not just these ones. I did get a nasty batch of Mealy and have been treating with pyrethrum and Horti-Po, but this was on all my plants, not just these ones.

It is the outer fronts (i.e. old ones) that are drying up the most.

palmsOrl

Without the benefit of being there and being able to examine the palms and root zone, just based on the information provided, my best guess is these palms have been getting too dry.

PalmatierMeg

I had no problems growing mine in pots outdoors in summer. But I kept their pots in trays of water that I replenished on a daily basis. Never, ever let this palm dry out or it is toast.

• Upvote 1

AshW

Thanks for the responses. I have added a good layer of compost and also feed with chicken manure. Will make sure that they stay wet moving forward.

• Like 1

palmsOrl

If you follow that plan, you should not have this problem again going forward.  Keep us updated.