IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda Problems

AshW

Hi Guys,

I thought I was getting on top of the problems with my lipstick palms, but they seem to be struggling again. After around 6 months of no problems, I noticed a few of the fronds on one palm has started to dry up. Seemed like it is starting at the tip of the fronds and working the way down. I gave one a little "tug" and it pulled completely out. The bottom was brown and squishy. 

As you can see from the photos, they are looking pretty sad.

Any help would be appreciated.

uMY%JoxVQliVII64azUYBQ.jpg

CD9zsJ0gQkW4BLLCyTDfQw.jpg

f3DA9tpdSpiB7GPHPU3Bvg.jpg

• Like 1

Well, being located in Singapore, your climate is perfect for Cyrtostachys renda.  That said, it looks like your plants are located on a balcony.  Are they kept moist/wet consistently like they require?  Have they been fertilized (could be over-fertilizing if so)?  Also, it could be a root fungus, though I have only experienced and heard of this problem with cool to chilly temperatures and that is clearly not a factor.

Please let us know more about their specific care leading up to now and that might help.

• Like 1

I used a slow release fertiliser of them in February (Osmocote) and they have been performing well. They may have had a bit less water over the last few weeks, but I would expect all to be impacted, not just these ones. I did get a nasty batch of Mealy and have been treating with pyrethrum and Horti-Po, but this was on all my plants, not just these ones.

It is the outer fronts (i.e. old ones) that are drying up the most.

Without the benefit of being there and being able to examine the palms and root zone, just based on the information provided, my best guess is these palms have been getting too dry.

I had no problems growing mine in pots outdoors in summer. But I kept their pots in trays of water that I replenished on a daily basis. Never, ever let this palm dry out or it is toast.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for the responses. I have added a good layer of compost and also feed with chicken manure. Will make sure that they stay wet moving forward.

• Like 1

If you follow that plan, you should not have this problem again going forward.  Keep us updated.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update.... 

One palm continued to decline badly. Basically, the spears would just pull out (see pic). They were a bit "mushy" but not really smelly. Spoke to a few local nurseries and some said too much water while others were saying not enough. Some said too much fertiliser, while others would say more was needed...

Anyway, decided to move both the struggling palms to smaller pots as they are now a 1/4 of the size there originally were. 

I purchased two new ones. A 8ft for SGD $100 and a 6ft for $80. The 8ft will be a tight squeeze into the planter as they are pretty narrow, but there will be quite a bit of room to the sides. 

How do these go if you need to trim the rot ball a little to get it into the pot?

%g3AAXl1QFSmJosW0+AMFA.jpg

zdFYfn0FRO65UYnvHF1qWg.jpg

UR7NmteZQDGQGMQ3Zb1vww.jpg

• 1 month later...

I continue to struggle with these palms.... another big spear broke off today. It was covered in a white fluffy stuff.

2CD5D35E-8A68-4438-8E24-59B3E7216A0E.jpeg

That's the thing though Jimmy, these like wet feet and can even be grown in standing water and especially considering the op is in a very hot, tropical climate, fungus from staying too cool and wet is not an issue.  I would think maybe it is just bad luck and best to replace the affected palms and make sure to sterilize the planter before planting new C. renda in it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

That's the thing though Jimmy, these like wet feet and can even be grown in standing water and especially considering the op is in a very hot, tropical climate, fungus from staying too cool and wet is not an issue.  I would think maybe it is just bad luck and best to replace the affected palms and make sure to sterilize the planter before planting new C. renda in it.

You have no argument from me.   I just stated what I thought was obvious.  How and why are likely to be difficult to explain.  The solution as you noted may be to start over with sterile containers, medium, and a new palm.   I just wish I could grow them.......:(  

• Like 1

I should have also clarified, I agree that it is a fungal infection and just random bad luck.  I have no idea what could have predicted it.

• 3 weeks later...