IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The most Acrocomia specimens I have ever seen, dozens of specimens

Eric in Orlando

Last Saturday my wife and I went exploring around Lake Alfred and Winter Haven, Florida. This is about 60 miles south of Orlando. First stop in Lake Alfred was the former Lake Alfred Hotel, built in 1913. Nowadays it is a senior assisted living facility. Several specimens of Acrocomia are growing on the grounds. 

DSC_1798~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This first specimen is a mystery, not sure what species it is but doesnt look like either aculeata or totai. It has a more robust trunk but short leaves with wider spaced leaflets. Maybe it is a A. aculeata total hybrid. 

DSC_1763~2.JPG

DSC_1769.JPG

DSC_1766~2.JPG

DSC_1794.JPG

DSC_1767.JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Several A. totai

DSC_1760~4.JPG

DSC_1772~2.JPG

DSC_1774~2.JPG

DSC_1776~2.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Another nice A. totai 

DSC_1782~2.JPG

DSC_1784~2.JPG

DSC_1787~2.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A couple of young Acrocomia aculeata. Not sure what happened to the parents. 

DSC_1777~2.JPG

DSC_1778.JPG

DSC_1780~2.JPG

DSC_1781~2.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have lots more photos from another location to post in awhile. 

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I suspect the semi-retired tree huggers retire quickly . . .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Close to my neck of the woods... well, within shouting distance.  Anyways, for those wondering where it's at on Google Maps:

Southern Gardens Assisted Living Facility

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

The next stop is Mackay Gardens in Lake Alfred, on the north side of Lake Rochelle. It is the former estate of Alexander Mackay, a Scottish businessman. He had a house built in 1915 and hired John Morley, a British botanist to design and maintain the gardens. Morley was friends with David Fairchild who would send him plants to try out. I don't know the history of the plantings but it is now currently owned by the City of Lake Alfred. There are dozens of Acrocomia totai on the ground along with some other rare rare palms and old bamboo, tropical trees and Eucalyptus. On the back lawn are some very tall specimens that are probably date to when the garden was young. Quite a few of the A. totai  appear to be naturalized seedlings that have grown up. 

First, here is the front of the house and a cluster of totai. 

DSC_1823~2.JPG

DSC_1825~2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

From Lake Rochelle looking towards the back of the house. 

DSC_1821~2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Some very old and tall specimens in the back lawn. 

DSC_1802~2.JPG

DSC_1801~2.JPG

DSC_1804~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Osprey preched in top of the dead tree. 

DSC_1817~2.JPG

DSC_1819~2.JPG

DSC_1812.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Acrocomia totai with an old Sabal yapa 

DSC_1806~2.JPG

DSC_1805~4.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The rest of these are in the front sections of the property. 

DSC_1815~2.JPG

DSC_1823~2.JPG

DSC_1827~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Besides the Acrocomia there were some Sabal specimens. 

Sabal yapa

DSC_1805~4.JPG

DSC_1806~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

What I believe to be a Sabal domingensis growing next to a Bombax ceiba.  It was almost twice as thick as the nearby Sabal palmetto. 

DSC_1864~3.JPG

DSC_1863~2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Sabal uresana and Sabal mexicana 

DSC_1850~2.JPG

DSC_1852~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Scores of spiny beauties. Great photos.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Good stuff, I gather the spiny beasts where used as they look tropical but obviously have cold tolerance. I have 1 acrocomia in my yard, so friggen mean. 

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Not the most exciting species we've seen here on PT. Lol. But it's nice to see so many of these old specimens being preserved on the property grounds considering they have (spines!). Thanks Eric,

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The first photos are a very interesting specimen, not sure what species it is but I am going to go back later in the year looking for seeds.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

It seems two sources were the original introducers of Acrocomia into cultivation in Florida in the late 1800s. Theodore Mead with A. totai and Reasoners Nursery with other species. A. totai was a popular novelty in the first half of the 1900s in Florida gardens and you see it in old landscapes. Its really intersting to see it still growing and naturalizing at these 2 historic properties.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

From reading through old botanical papers I have there seems to actually be 3 sources who were either the first or among the first to bring Acrocomia into Florida. One is E. H. Hart who had a palm and botanical collection in Federal Point south of Jacksonville. He settled there in the late 1860s and died in 1898. The second is Theodore Mead of Lake Charm (near Oviedo, northeast of Orlando) who brought in Acrocomia totai around 1905. And 3third is the Reasoner Bros. at Royal Palm Nursery in Oneco, near Bradenton. They first listed an Acrocomia in their catalog in 1888, A. havanensis from Cuba. Then A. vinifera in 1891, A. scelocarpa in 1893 and A. totai in 1910. I wonder if Mead was the source of A. totai seed or the other way around.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 months later...

fantastic acrocomia tottai

i like this tree

how can i found some seedlings seeds

please help

better seedlings because the seeds late to sprout much time

and not sure

i tried but nothing yet from seeds