IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pandanus species I.D.?

About a year ago I was given two Pandanus plants (species unknown). All I know was the guy said when he was in Hawaii he obtained seeds and grew the plants. Because he lives in a mobile home park and was totally over planted, the landlord forbid him from planting any more plants; hence why he gave the pandanus plants to me. What I'm trying to discern is just what species of pandanus they are. 

Photos 1 and 2 below show one of the two pandanus mentioned above, an overall photo and a closer up leaf photo.

Photos 3 and 4 below show a clumping pandanus species I have growing back in my wooded area. This pandanus was given to me about 10 years ago by a Palmtalk member.  I don't recall him telling me what species it was.

Photo 5 shows three potted Pandanus tectorius I bought last July from Floribunda. Note that these are a different shade of green than one in photo 1. I would never have purchased these if in fact pandanus 1 is also Pandanus  tectorius. 

Regardless, I will find a place for those in photo 5. I may just plant them as a group.

I understand Pandanus tectorius develops a trunk, branches, and stilt roots. I was hoping the pandanus in photo 1 will grow a trunk, branches, etc. 

But the pandanus in my wooded area, after 10 years or more, obviously doesn't develop a trunk, branches, etc.

Anybody have any guesses as to what species 1 and 3 are?

Pandanus_1.jpg

Pandanus_1_leaf.jpg

Pandanus_3.jpg

Pandanus_3_leaf.jpg

Pandanus_2.jpg

Mad about palms

It is hard to say, pics 1 and 2 do look like P. tectorius. 

3 and 4 may be P. odorifer (syn. P. odoratissimus)

Are there spines on the 3 plants in pic 5? Do you have a closeup of the leaves?

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

2 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

It is hard to say, pics 1 and 2 do look like P. tectorius. 

3 and 4 may be P. odorifer (syn. P. odoratissimus)

Are there spines on the 3 plants in pic 5? Do you have a closeup of the leaves?

Yes, the Pandanus plants in pic 5 were sold to me by Floribunda as Pandanus tectorius (leaf detail shown in below pic). Floribunda was out of Pandanus utilis, so I bought tectorius because I thought they were a different species than the one (and I have two of these) in pics 1 and 2. I really don't need, nor want, five Pandanus tectorius plants, but I will just plant these three in some out of the way location. I may just triple them up for a different effect. The three I just bought are a different shade of green than those in pics 1 and 2, but that may change over time.

I will do some Google research on Pandanus odorifer (that you think pics 3 and 4 look like). You can't really tell from my pics, but the tips/top of the outstretched leaves are nearly 10 feet high.

Pandanus_saw_leaf.jpg

Mad about palms

#1 looks like my larger tectorius. Mine might be slightly bigger, just starting to get some prop roots now. But the leaf colour is the same as those in #5.

Don't know what the others are but have seen similar in rainforest (lower light).

Those potted specimens are probably P. tectorius. This pandan has a huge range from Papua New Guinea to the Philippines and northern Australia over to Micronesia, French Polynesia, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. There might be variations.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Well, I Googled Pandanus oderifer, and I see it also develops a stem/trunk with branches. However,  the pandanus I have in pics 3 and 4 is clumping. It started out as one plant, so perhaps it's not P. oderifer. No matter what is the case, it is what it is. I still like it in my garden, and it was a freebie!

Mad about palms