IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Donating palms to local park or zoo - how to?

Justin

Hello all.  We have a couple cocoid hybrids that we took out of the ground in Vista and put into pots for our new place, and they don't seem to like the pots.  They're doing okay, but really would be much happier back in the ground.  But the thing is, I still want to see them, so I'm hoping to donate them to either Balboa Park or the San Diego Zoo, such that I can see them grow but not be 100% responsible for their health and maintenance.  Has anyone done this before, or have a contact for doing this?  One is a Jubaea x Syagrus, and the other is a Parajubaea x Butia, so I would think the Park and/or the Zoo would be interested.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Okay, my experience is limited, and my palm was potted (and had to stay potted to live in Nebraska).  

I called my the local botanical gardens (Lauritzen Gardens) in Omaha and asked to talk with the groundskeeper, or acquisitions, until I got in contact with someone who could make a decision and accept my palm.  Explain what you have (specifically), health, age, etc. and why you want to donate it to the park.  They will accept or deny the offer based on their need.  They will also (probably) offer you a donation receipt for tax purposes; they'll base that number on the purchase of a similar tree. 

If you can make it easy, they'll say yes quicker.  Offer to transport yourself, that sort of thing.  If they still say no, ask them if they have any associated parks/gardens that are accepting donated trees, etc. 

Good luck!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Thank you, fingers crossed this will work.  There's also this house down the street that I walk past several times a week that obviously was planted by a palm nut, as it has Hedyscepe, Howea belmoreana, Chambeyronia, Dypsis, Wodyetia.  I'd offer to donate to him/her, but the tiny yard is probably overgrown as it is.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

I've found that it is incredibly slow work getting palms into public spaces - at least in Fresno it is. Zoos and a NGO that plants trees in public spaces locally are both open to taking them but the process is rather slow. Your parks might work a little quicker. I'd look to see if there are any organizations that are already planting trees in public spaces (SMUD in Sacramento, Tree Fresno in Fresno... etc.) They usually have liability insurance on file with the city and all required documentation to plant them in public parks and right-of-ways. Private botanical gardens might be easier to work. I'd contact them directly and ask to speak to someone about accepting plant donations. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

San Diego zoo came and picked up the palms today; they will be potted in some giant pots in the near-term, then put in the ground about a year from now.  Hate to see them go, but looking forward to seeing them in their new home next year!

• Like 8

On 7/9/2019 at 2:40 PM, Justin said:

San Diego zoo came and picked up the palms today; they will be potted in some giant pots in the near-term, then put in the ground about a year from now.  Hate to see them go, but looking forward to seeing them in their new home next year!

How big were these hybrids and how long did you have them for ? The San Diego zoo was a good call !!

T J 

On 7/9/2019 at 12:40 PM, Justin said:

That is awesome!  They will be nice additions to one of the better public collections around.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 4:46 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

How big were these hybrids and how long did you have them for ? The San Diego zoo was a good call !!

The Butia x Parajubaea was maybe 4-5 feet tall (tough to tell since it was in a large pot), and the Jubaea x Syagrus was about half that tall.  I had them in the ground for several years in Vista (from seedlings), and then dug them up in 2018 when I moved.

• 1 year later...
On 7/9/2019 at 12:40 PM, Justin said:

How did you get in contact with them ? I am looking to donate some palms and thought of the zoo or balboa park.  But can’t find info to reach out.  

thanks 

• Like 1