IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washy ID

Chester B

Bought from the Orange store as W. fillifera.  It took a bit of damage this winter from fungus from too much moisture as I left it unprotected in the pot.  So fillifera or fillibusta??  More pictures required?

Washy 3.jpg

Washy 4.jpg

Washy 1.jpg

Washy 2.jpg

More pics of the base, please?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Hopefully these will work.  It's tough to get a clear shot with the other plants in the pot.  This is not a very big palm right now.

2018330762_Washy6.thumb.jpg.10f143a032eaff599b3e3aa9a9359c94.jpg428431963_Washy5.thumb.jpg.e17bba385efb7bdc16d8c87d6ea2bd70.jpg123214613_Washy8.thumb.jpg.c9ddc1f3e488e6ba5fc211015fa7a495.jpg917785947_Washy7.thumb.jpg.16c4983f0d69da1e2007542a92f8e486.jpg

Edited by Chester B

Looks to me like a W. Filifera

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I was hoping it might be a filibusta, but thanks for the ID.

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

I was hoping it might be a filibusta, but thanks for the ID.

I agree with Alex - but if it came from an orange big box store I'd doubt that it's 100% filifera.  I'd expect to see some purple on the leaf bases even at this early stage if it were the hybrid, but maybe it'll show up later.  You never know, it could be pure filifera.

Jon Sunder

3 hours ago, Fusca said:

some purple on the leaf bases

Good to know.  I'm going to take a look at the latest batch at the store to see if any display this.

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth I just remembered this link from an older thread:

http://palmvrienden.net/gblapalmeraie/2017/07/05/how-to-recognize-the-difference-between-washingtonia-filifera-and-robusta/

There are some photos of supposed filibusta with filifera dominance that look similar to yours.  After looking at your photos again the leaves do look a bit shinier green than the typical gray-green color of filifera.  Based on how easily the 2 species hybridize I'd go with filibusta type filifera, but you'll get a better idea when it gets older.

Jon Sunder