IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

trachycarpus growing temperature

palm789

What are the day and night and soil temperatures,both lowest and highest/optimum to kickstart new growth of these palms,its nearly summer and none of my fortunei and the one up my parents house seem to grow as of yet

Fortunei will grow with temps anywhere to some degree.  Best 60-85F.  Take a marker and mark one new spear with a line then mark across to a older frond and look in a couple days to see the movement.  

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

2 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Can we see some pics?

20190602_155812.jpg

20190602_155929.jpg

20190602_155913.jpg

Edited by palm789

Transplanted palms wont grow much the 1st year

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

The first palm is growing and been in ground for a year the second small one in pot is starting to grow slowly but this big one aint moving

20190602_160441.jpg

Edited by palm789

They look good   The one in a pot looks like it has had a lot of fronds trimmed off lately? 

3 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

They look good   The one in a pot looks like it has had a lot of fronds trimmed off lately? 

Was bought like that a sickly coloured trachy for a discount price

Sometimes they sit and sometimes they move.  As long as the fronds and spears are green you're good to go.:greenthumb:  Just give it some time.  For me once the nighttime temps are around 50 and they daytime over 60 they start to move much faster.  I think 75-85 might be the sweet spot with plenty of water.

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

Sometimes they sit and sometimes they move.  As long as the fronds and spears are green you're good to go.:greenthumb:  Just give it some time.  For me once the nighttime temps are around 50 and they daytime over 60 they start to move much faster.  I think 75-85 might be the sweet spot with plenty of water.

Agree, mine have been growing even into the low 100's, but they get watered every other day when the heat is like that. My night time lows have been 71ish recently. 

6 minutes ago, RJ said:

Agree, mine have been growing even into the low 100's, but they get watered every other day when the heat is like that. My night time lows have been 71ish recently. 

I see some people say they don't grow over 85F but I disagree.  As long as they get enough water they won't stop.  Mine grow year round,  but much slower in the winter.  

13 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I see some people say they don't grow over 85F but I disagree.  As long as they get enough water they won't stop.  Mine grow year round,  but much slower in the winter.  

I agree we get 90s here in Ontario but what I think helps it is a night time cool down in the 70s

We put one in and it did not grow for about 4 or 5 years,  but is growing well now.

I would not worry, they all look fine.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I agree with the above.  The one I had at my parent’s old house in Maitland, near Orlando grew and looked great.  It always had a ton of water though.

I don’t see many in this area and the few municipal plantings I see look rough, or dead, like a couple at a nearby new apartment complex.  

At the moment day temperaturs lately are about 60f to 68f in the day and night between 53f and 57f,as i live in the uk the weather this year is not that nice as last year just rain.

Honestly mine grew at anything above freezing it seemed. Will baby the nearly 15g I put in the ground up against the house. Usually slow the first year but they really open up in year 2! 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

During peak months last year my trachy were opening a frond every 10 days or 3 per month.