IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Hawaiian inspired Garden

Palm crazy

This year's theme is Going Hawaiian in the PNW.  Here are some of my Butia palms and since summer is pretty much here its a good time to show off the garden. Butia in my garden is Butia Odorata, catarinensis, JxB, and BxQ, in no particular order.  Besides palm trees, I love colorful foliage and big bold flowers.  Thanks for Looking...:D

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017 copy.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for sharing, great garden! I like the lava rock edging and you have certainly mastered the potting strategy!

You definitely have the Hawaiin thing going, very lush garden =) which one is the JxB ? 

T J 

11 hours ago, Trustandi said:

Beautiful garden. :shaka-2:

Thanks Trustandi... the garden is 25 years old and I have no lawn its all garden and pathways! I have  7 garden rooms with a different theme in each one.  Other plants I grow are tree ferns in pots and in the ground. I love cacti, agaves, tender succulents, aloes, and heat-loving perennials. And unusual woodland plants and flowers and bromeliads. 

3 hours ago, Swolte said:

Thanks for sharing, great garden! I like the lava rock edging and you have certainly mastered the potting strategy!

Thanks, Swolte, the black lava rocks give it that Hawaiian look it also anchors the pots to the ground so they don't look like they are floating.  The containers allow me to grow plants well beyond my z8 garden and its a snap to put them away for winter.  Gives me the tropical look I am after without having to move. lol. 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

You definitely have the Hawaiin thing going, very lush garden =) which one is the JxB ? 

The second photo is the JxB f2 been in the ground since a three-year-old seedling.  Thanks for looking Texaspalmlover. 

4 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Thanks Trustandi... the garden is 25 years old and I have no lawn its all garden and pathways! I have  7 garden rooms with a different theme in each one.  Other plants I grow are tree ferns in pots and in the ground. I love cacti, agaves, tender succulents, aloes, and heat-loving perennials. And unusual woodland plants and flowers and bromeliads. 

Thanks, Swolte, the black lava rocks give it that Hawaiian look it also anchors the pots to the ground so they don't look like they are floating.  The containers allow me to grow plants well beyond my z8 garden and its a snap to put them away for winter.  Gives me the tropical look I am after without having to move. lol. 

The second photo is the JxB f2 been in the ground since a three-year-old seedling.  Thanks for looking Texaspalmlover. 

Beautiful palm for sure, that's the one I thought was, but wasn't positive though had to ask do you have more then 1 mule palms in your pics ? The 3rd pic from last is also a good looking palm

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Beautiful palm for sure, that's the one I thought was, but wasn't positive though had to ask do you have more then 1 mule palms in your pics ? The 3rd pic from last is also a good looking palm

Thank you, the 6th photo down is BxQ that is recovering from a bad winter. The 8th photo is just a butia, but beyond that area is my small palm forest with two more large butia and one small JxB f2 planted in between them. I'd take a picture but is to hard to take since all most all the palms are the same size including several trachycarpus. In a few years should be able to get some photos from the palm forest. 

Have several clumps of chamaedorea radicalis.

I also have 7 chamaerops humilis var. cerifera which one is the multi-trunk and quite large. 

Any many windmill palms so altogether my collection stands at 60 palms and that's enough for me, lol. 

DSC_0001.JPG

13 hours ago, jimmyt said:

One nice looking garden for sure!

jimmyt

Thanks, Jimmyt, you are from TX so here are some cacti and aloes photos for you. My cactus don't bloom till July.  Thanks for looking Y'all. :D

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Roger,

I like it.  You could charge admission to your garden wonderland! :greenthumb:

jimmyt

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jimmyt said:

You could charge admission to your garden wonderland! :greenthumb:

jimmyt

Thanks, man! LOL! 

Looks great Roger, well done!  I recently obtained a couple of BxJ F2 seedlings - do you have any of these?  I think they grow at a similar speed to a regular Butia with a similar look.

Jon

Jon Sunder

40 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Looks great Roger, well done!  I recently obtained a couple of BxJ F2 seedlings - do you have any of these?  I think they grow at a similar speed to a regular Butia with a similar look.

Jon

Hi Jon Thanks,

My BxJ f2 died one cold winter about five years ago but both JxB f2 made it with flying colors.  I wouldn't mind trying again with one but just don't have any more room. I have altogether 5 regular butia, 1 BxQ, two JxB2.  All the crosses have a good growth rate even though all my butia receive around 5 hours of full sun in summer and much less in winter. Too many exotic and fruit trees in the garden, lol. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Splendid. Just splendid!

:greenthumb::greenthumb:

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

14 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Splendid. Just splendid!

:greenthumb::greenthumb:

Thanks, GottmitAlex glad you like the garden. Here is one of the woodland settings in the garden, very low maintenance since it is heavily planted. 

DSC_0042 2.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...