IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Alluded to in another thread, it seems that the wetter than average fall-spring, combined with a cooler than is typical spring has brought on some sort of mass flowering on Dasylirion wheeleri specimens planted all over this side of the general Phoenix area.   While the following pictures taken earlier are from near the Mall here in Chandler,  the same mass flowering seen here is what i am observing all over chandler and surrounding areas. 
   Living here since spring of 2016, i'd see a few flowering in neighborhoods, or commercial landscapes here and there this time of year.   This year .. i'd put a rough estimate of 9 out of every 10 specimens seen are throwing flower spikes at the moment. While i certainly wouldn't advise not paying attention to the road while driving, this "event" if you will, is easily noticed as you drive around, especially where the species is used en-masse in landscapes.

Thinking about other possible reasons for a mass bloom like this, i'd be hard pressed to believe every single specimen i'm seeing w/ flowers across town are the same age.. Weather conditions have to play some part in it.. @Tom in Tucson @TexasColdHardyPalms Any additional thoughts? anyhow, a few pictures..

Taken across from Chandler Fashion Plaza / Mall, west of Chandler Blvd and the 101. While taken in different areas of this particular shopping center, same view is common around town atm.. Pretty neat, imo.   Can see some of the Saguaro across the street in Picture #2 are flowering also.
DSCN6284.JPG.dbcea0ed5d1da6ac65cca559cfebec07.JPGDSCN6286.JPG.f6cbf6ee27ecfed5fb7df9f46b87317d.JPGDSCN6287.JPG.a29b4701cac0457b3382acf7417d2324.JPGDSCN6290.thumb.JPG.a788097fe0bc78f10c7aae83b8ee926a.JPG

-Nathan

• Like 3

Pic #1.  What are the taller specimens in the background.  Are those older sotols with spent bloom spikes or completely different plants(yucca, etc.)

jimmyt

40 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

Pic #1.  What are the taller specimens in the background.  Are those older sotols with spent bloom spikes or completely different plants(yucca, etc.)

jimmyt

Older Yucca elata specimen. Surprisingly, aside from some of the newer developments, large specimens of native Yucca species are something you don't see used much in landscapes here. There is a nicely landscape street median not far from the house that contains some decent sized Y. faxoniana that flowered back in early April.

19 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

I see now.  Thanks for the info Silas! I hope mine will get that big someday!

I hear ya, have a small Y. elata myself.. keep telling it to grow faster, lol.  City of Chandler has been using Yucca pallida in some of the street median re designs they have been doing lately.  Was hoping to add a few to a project i did earlier this spring and grab a couple for my collection but a pain in the rear to find any in local nurseries.