IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Encephalartos Middelburgensis ID

Meangreen94z

file.php?id=65271file.php?id=65190file.php?id=65191I purchased this Encephalartos sight unseen with a group of other cycads from a grower. All other cycads line up, but the leaf form(spines/teeth) doesn’t line up with any Middelburgensis photos I can find. It’s also a little greener than I had hoped but I can wait to see. Can anyone confirm this to be a form?

27 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

Can anyone confirm this to be a form?

That doesn't look like any Encephalartos middelburgensis  I have ever seen.  Leaf structure, leaf insertion on the rachis and leaf color are all wrong.  Looks like some much more common form of big green Encephalartos.... gratus perhaps?  My still very young Encephalartos middelburgensis has always shown color even as a two leaf seedling, and leaf insertion started going keeled very early.

20180920-104A0682.jpg

20180920-104A0683-2.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I agree. Not a middleburg... But I don't think gratus either... tegulanus or villosus? (I am weak on cycad IDs)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

As Tracy and Bill have stated....definitely not middleburg.

1 hour ago, GeneAZ said:

E. msinganus, probably.  If so, the spiny form is the preferred form.

Gene, correct me if I'm wrong, because I have never shopped for an Encephalartos msinganus, but I would expect there would be a significant price difference between a 4"-6" caudex middelburgensis and msinganus of the same size.  Encephalartos middelburgensis being the more expensive plant.  I have to say I would feel a little burned if I thought I was buying a middelburgensis and received a msinganus.

Looking at

my msinganus  it does look the same . And isn’t msinganus a little more uncommon then middleburg ? I never see msinganus for sale 

Thanks everyone. I bought the Middelburgensis as a seedling but his product always shows up larger than advertised, especially if you buy several items. I bought several cycads, and there was a much smaller frondless caudex packaged with this one. I contacted him a couple weeks after the order, about a week after I received them, he acknowledged sending a bonus, but at that point couldn’t remember what he threw in. The smaller frondless “caudex” is much closer to a seedling, and hopefully the Middelburgensis. I’ll wait to see what it flushes. Everything else I’ve ever ordered from his was spot on.

Edited by Meangreen94z

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

Here is the potential caudex, appears ready to flushfile.php?id=65296

If I was to guess I would say this might be the middelburgensis. This one looks a lot like one of my  middelburgensis, at least the caudex does. I have one about the same size that recently pushed some leaves but were unfortunately trampled by our new puppy. Can’t really ID by caudex but this caudex looks almost identical to mine. At least there is hope. Good luck. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tracy said:

Gene, correct me if I'm wrong, because I have never shopped for an Encephalartos msinganus, but I would expect there would be a significant price difference between a 4"-6" caudex middelburgensis and msinganus of the same size.  Encephalartos middelburgensis being the more expensive plant.  I have to say I would feel a little burned if I thought I was buying a middelburgensis and received a msinganus.

Sure, I'd feel burned too!  I do like Msinga very much and it is super rare in habitat;  but middelburgensis is far rarer and, of course, blue which always commands a premium.

It does look like the leafless caudex you have could easily prove to be middelburgensis.

• Like 1

I'll throw my guess in at the bonus and say E. ituriensis.  Looks very much like mine.  Hard to tell if it's a more upright growth pattern, but the spiny, boat/cup shaped leaves resemble the species.  

3 hours ago, TropiLocal said:

E. ituriensis.  Looks very much like mine.  Hard to tell if it's a more upright growth pattern, but the spiny, boat/cup shaped leaves resemble the species.  

The angle of the leaves being more pendent in the photo of the plant in question and the leaflets don't look quite right, although they are barbed.  A couple of different E. ituriensis to compare with the plant posted above.  Meangreen94z will have to post a photo of the completed flush when available in order to get a better idea.

20190209-104A2347.jpg

20180920-104A0665.jpg

Sorry it’s been raining the last 2 days when I get off from work. I’ll take a picture in the morning hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...