IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus dammaropsis “Lowland Form”

George Sparkman

Ficus dammaropsis, 

“Lowland Form”

309F0D49-50CE-416E-8490-15F185CB87E8.thumb.jpeg.fe5fc931f4fc585999eeb9ebc372882a.jpeg

12893631-F572-49B8-A60F-20879B80DC10.thumb.jpeg.ad3a93bcc576ca2cefc905365532c73a.jpeg

7FCFAC1B-BB7D-489F-BCB1-C18C382D99F6.thumb.jpeg.b6fcfa194250b28cc76528820ba7819a.jpeg

- grown outside under 50% shade cloth in Fallbrook,CA 

5gallon / $350

Phone : 760-666-7817

E-mail: info@cycads-n-palms.com

• Like 4

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

What are the differences between "lowland form" and "highland form", cold hardiness, esthetic?

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

8 hours ago, gilles06 said:

What are the differences between "lowland form" and "highland form", cold hardiness, esthetic?

Highland form MUCH more hardy, though not sure by how much.  Highland form does great while Lowland melted for me - and we stayed above freezing all winter.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks Ben, it won't be easy to buy one in Europe, maybe one day...

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

5 minutes ago, gilles06 said:

Thanks Ben, it won't be easy to buy one in Europe, maybe one day...

I would stick with the Highland form in your location...your winter lows look similar to mine, or even lower (I haven't been below 30 in at least a decade.)

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

3 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Highland form MUCH more hardy, though not sure by how much.  Highland form does great while Lowland melted for me - and we stayed above freezing all winter.

Interesting and good to know as I thought these were suppose to be on par with the Highland form.  I know I flirted with freezing Temps this year in many parts of my garden and saw cosmetic damage on Foxtails, B. koghiensis, Travelers palm,  and even new fronds on a A. cunninghamiana, so if I end up adding one of these it will need to be highland form.

Carl

Vista, CA

13 minutes ago, nachocarl said:

Interesting and good to know as I thought these were suppose to be on par with the Highland form.  I know I flirted with freezing Temps this year in many parts of my garden and saw cosmetic damage on Foxtails, B. koghiensis, Travelers palm,  and even new fronds on a A. cunninghamiana, so if I end up adding one of these it will need to be highland form.

My two forms were feet apart and one melted, while one took not a lick.  Too small of a sample size to be sure, so just my anecdotal experience!

To my eye, the Highland Form is more attractive anyway - more featured leaf I think.

Ben Rogers

I have a good number of both versions growing under identical conditions outside in Fallbrook, CA.

We had a few fairly cold nights this winter and none of them were affected in any way. They actually constantly put out new leaves. No cold spots. Smaller Lowland plants can be a bit touchy but well rooted 5g grow very and by the time they get to 15g size they just won’t stop growing. 

A couple of things are worth mentioning : 

They need to be very well rooted !

Never let them dry out ! 

77B12676-93EF-4177-A8F0-7700CC7A8832.thumb.jpeg.a7917bebbe9face0e01201db981ce335.jpeg

5g Lowland

In regards to the visual differences, the Lowland produces larger leaves and the leaf veins start out white and stay that way whereas Highland has mostly reddish leaf veins that fade to an off-white over time.

I am sure that Highland can take more cold but Lowland performs just as well in my zip code.

• Upvote 1

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

10 minutes ago, George Sparkman said:

I have a good number of both versions growing under identical conditions outside in Fallbrook, CA.

We had a few fairly cold nights this winter and none of them were affected in any way. They actually constantly put out new leaves. No cold spots. Smaller Lowland plants can be a bit touchy but well rooted 5g grow very and by the time they get to 15g size they just won’t stop growing. 

A couple of things are worth mentioning : 

They need to be very well rooted !

Never let them dry out ! 

77B12676-93EF-4177-A8F0-7700CC7A8832.thumb.jpeg.a7917bebbe9face0e01201db981ce335.jpeg

5g Lowland

In regards to the visual differences, the Lowland produces larger leaves and the leaf veins start out white and stay that way whereas Highland has mostly reddish leaf veins that fade to an off-white over time.

I am sure that Highland can take more cold but Lowland performs just as well in my zip code.

This makes sense.  A LOT colder and a LOT wetter up here!  I do think there is a considerable difference, but it's just anecdotal as I said.

Ben Rogers

The lowland form have a considerably larger Leaf than the highland form, and seems to out perform the highland form here is south florida. They are susceptible to drying out while in containers or if not established in the ground but once established are very tuff. As for cold, I know the big one at Montgomery was damaged in the early 2000’s but if memory serves we were in the upper 20’s and bounced right back. 

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

The plant in the top photo has been sold.

Comparable others available. 

Phone : 760-666-7817

E-mail: info@cycads-n-palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Not the best angle, but this leaf was 4ft in length . 

DFA1D647-852D-4030-AD62-6B370699BA58.jpeg

• Like 1

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

You guys out in So-Cal should be all over these to buy!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thank You Jeff !

A couple more have sold and there are a few left.  All of them are great plants.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• 1 month later...

There are a couple 5g left.

I will be posting info & photos regarding the 15g plants soon.

Thanks

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• 3 weeks later...

Great plants George.

And mine has done well for me here in Southern CA. I did plant mine in the vicinity of the highland form to show the differences.

To date, it has been a strong grower for me.

• 2 weeks later...

they sure do grow fast

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 1 year later...

Hello there!

This is such a beautiful plant! I have a beautiful specimen of this plant that I bought from a shop 5 yrs ago. It looks like a lowland form of the ficus dammaropsis. But its now looking really sad... I need advice on how to revive it.

I live in Amsterdam, in the Netherlands. When I bought the ficus, it was 1 meter high and had beautiful leaves. After a few weeks, It started losing some leaves from the bottom, while it kept on growing new leaves from the top. see below.

after 1 yr:

now after 5yrs, its almost bald, with only new leaves growing at the top, which are quite small compared to when it was new. Ive experimented with giving it plant food which helped the leaves grow a bit larger, but it didnt prevent the leaves from falling.

after 5yrs