IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some Seedling updates, and a very plesant surprise

Silas_Sancona

With the unusually ideal weather of late.. i figured this might be an appropriate time for a few updates on some stuff i have been working with, specifically seed-started things seed of which, was shared by others who might wish to see how things are coming along.. 

Additionally, i'm including pictures of perhaps the rarest of the rare flowering things i have.  While most of the trial stuff i'd brought w/me here from Florida have done surprisingly well considering putting up with a far different climate ( here) This plant in particular has been one of 3 i have been really awaiting flowers on. The fact that it is flowering under warm season conditions similar to what i'd expect for Southern California this time of year and through the summer, vs failing to flower last year and in 2017 under our " normal "  late spring /summer conditions is not something i'd have expected from a plant from Cuba.. anyway.. Also sharing some pictures of my Black Olive, Budica spinosa.. Smothered in flowers this year.

Seedlings:    Thanks to all who have shared seed:greenthumb:

Red Silk Cotton, Bombax malabaricum / Bombax cebia.. Collected these off the trees in front of the old Bradenton Herald. Developing quite nicely this year.
DSCN6199.thumb.JPG.3bad5088441208f7248e1ff9d3470a67.JPG

Texas Persimmon, Diospyros texana, seed shared by @Fusca last year. Quite the growth spurt this spring considering how tiny they were back in September of last year ( Pic. #2 )
DSCN6191.JPG.f78fd81f4507f8c16538d4ca7e6699c7.JPGDSCN4468.JPG.064bd869435fd44676f45dc1989be264.JPG

One of the 2 seed "extras" shared/sent from @Loxahatchee Adam.. Started both you'd sent, forgot to label each batch. This batch survived. Which ever of the two these are, thought you'd like an update on how they're coming along. Started another batch of the red flowered extras last week, and some of the Cebia crosses you sent earlier this past week.. Batch i started last week are germinating as i type. Red veins on the new leaves are a bonus ( pic #2 )
DSCN6200.JPG.636e02f42408c9735b4db0a0cbffc572.JPGDSCN6201.thumb.JPG.b840f1666578b601be1728e55adf6c82.JPG

Just sprouted seed batches of Cebia insignis and the White -flowered Dwarf Poinciana. Seed sent by @mike-coral gables
DSCN6194.JPG.885ae623e42b8f6c91ea10890819d46e.JPG

More of interest to me but some Desert Hackberry, Celtis pallida / ehrenbergiana seedlings.. Somewhat spiny but very dense foliage. Slowly grows to roughly small tree size and produces sweet orange fruit. Plan on testing Orchids on these later.
DSCN6207.thumb.JPG.cc3b9b93af765542932670b512515903.JPG

Two super rare arid- type subtropical trees, Baja Ebony, Ebenopsis confinis ( Pic #1 ), and Jacquinia macrocarpa ssp. pungens ( Pic #2 ) gaining size / getting separated / stepped into 1gals ( the Jacquinia seedlings ).
DSCN6206.JPG.36b31a1a724aef7e89a8863e42ad4e3a.JPGDSCN6198.thumb.JPG.3c1027058e09d0239311fde9539f4abe.JPG

In light of our current weather, and what looks to be a less intense start to June/ start to summer, i started a few batches of some stuff i'd attempted last year / in 2017 with limited success i'll share later, if all goes well this time around.

A very pleasant surprise, Lily Thorn, Catesbaea spinosa (Rubiaceae, same family as Gardenia, Randia, Hintonia, and Portlandia ) Cuba / Bahamas. Slowly builds to a large shrub /small tree, 6-12' in height. some spines along the branches, leaves arranged a lot like Buxus ( Boxwood. ) Evergreen, though i loose some foliage in winter. Likes well drained Alkaline / Limestone soil, very little water / dry in winter.. I water roughly once a week through the summer, maybe twice during the June /early July Nuke fest. Have almost roasted it twice. Supposedly cold hardy to around 30-33F. Hasn't had issues here, though i do bring it in if it is supposed to drop below 30F. 

While the plant itself has done fine here placed where it doesn't have to put up with direct sun, especially in the afternoon, each time it attempted to flower the past two years, our typical late spring /summer heat seems to cause the buds to drop prematurely.  Wasn't sure how it would fare under the cooler conditions we've been having lately. Surprised to discover a nearly fully formed flower several days ago. Still wasn't sure it would continue development. Seems the weather this year is more to its liking as the flower opened earlier this evening. Has a scent but is hard to describe.. Reminds me of Beer, or fermented Molasses. Found another flower developing on the same branch as well.  If you're wondering, yes, i pollinated the flower.. Need more of these. We'll see if it is self-fertile.
DSCN6189.thumb.JPG.5cde29eb34e9bb977fd8f3f0eaa77c10.JPGDSCN6220.thumb.JPG.17f6e44f89484ab45c4434b8d8d91128.JPGDSCN6226.thumb.JPG.8aaaa73140ac1f01a5caf8a428520a9a.JPGDSCN6228.thumb.JPG.8c096e7198f5b090ee22c30d82868b2b.JPGDSCN6231.thumb.JPG.4cab5fb6906616552b86a7ea5ab56758.JPG

Black Olive, Budica spinosa.. Another that has done well here. Surprised Black Olive haven't found its way into the landscape trade here, would likely do well, look nice in some o the street medians around town. anyway, while it flowers every year, really flowering this year.. Not sure if it is the weather but a nice treat. Tiny flowers attract all manner of Hover Flies / Bees, even where i have it sitting under the patio.
DSCN6233.JPG.ffa98908d930d9b61c3abb8405f51eee.JPGDSCN6235.JPG.7bbb7fc9c8ea68cd6048a3ded9d9246d.JPG

Updates in September..

Enjoy

-Nathan

• Like 5

Nice growing Nathan!  And great photography as usual.  I like the growth spurt on those Diospyros texana - if that keeps up you'll get fruit next year!  LOL

Jon

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

On 5/27/2019 at 7:00 AM, mike-coral gables said:

Well done Nathan ! 

Thanks Mike, With the heat starting to build, comes what can be the most challenging part of getting stuff going this time of year here. Heat + any wind + very low dew points / humidity right now can cause tender growth to dry out in less than a day.  That said,  the "Shade Alley" i created between my shade house ( what i call " the Cube " ) and west facing wall of the house itself seems to be the most ideal spot i have for getting seedlings off to a good start. Foliage canopy from larger potted stuff + 2 layers of shade cloth above + what covers the cube help lessen any breezes blowing through, provides plenty of light, but nothing direct.. or for hours at a time.. and helps keep humidity at ground level higher..

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

Nice growing Nathan!  And great photography as usual.  I like the growth spurt on those Diospyros texana - if that keeps up you'll get fruit next year!  LOL

Jon

Thanks,  lol.. Fruit next year.. that would be nice..  Imagine i've got 3-6 years to go before i start seeing flowers / fruit.. Bigger question that crosses my mind when looking at them: "How many of these seedlings are male/ female plants", Hopefully they don't all end up being just one or the other :o:blink: