IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala Identification

-2 brian

Hoping someone might be able to help me identify this Licuala that I've had growing outside for probably 16+ years. It was called either Licuala Grandis or Licuala Elegans when I got it way back then? Palm is extremely slow growing, as you can see it is still a very small palm. Its probably a bit to overprotected as far as planting location goes; which seemed to be a common planting mistake of mine back then. It has basically received hardly any sun for most of its life, a little bit more the last few years from the loss of large Caryota. Anyways would be nice to know exactly what kind of Licuala it is? RW1mBnZnS1CWtenh8fZZDg.thumb.jpg.30b92131b920443ab1165db02781aae8.jpg9MvpUcmPQAOgzBop56fq3g.thumb.jpg.8ad9b6f645384bb64829f733be42ba1d.jpgfw7YdlrdTsSb5KVTjuYmnA.thumb.jpg.d3ff9a5fa72f3abb0b13bf5f6f89efe8.jpg

Looks like my  Licuala peltata var. 'sumawongii'.

Dr. Dransfield stated that there are no Licuala elegans.  Lucualy grandis is unlikely as it's requirements are too tropical for SoCal.

Edited by joe_OC
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Could be a Grandis, but peltata var sumawongii is more likely imo. 

• Upvote 1

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

18 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Looks like my  Licuala peltata var. 'sumawongii'.

Dr. Dransfield stated that there are no Licuala elegans.  Lucualy grandis is unlikely as it's requirements are too tropical for SoCal.

I thought I remembered one of them now being called something else. Good to know what it is I have though. Either way very slow for me near the coast; I think I just don’t get the heat it wants especially being in a more protected area.

I agree with the others that it looks like a Licuala peltata var. 'sumawongii'.  This is mine that was outdoors all winter.  I just put it in the ground the other day in a protected spot near some Rhapis and Chamaedorea. At least based on the growth rate you mentioned, it shouldn't outgrow this spot for years! The rocks have no horticultural value except to discourage squirrels and scrub jays. :D

Licuala1.png

Licuala2.png

• Upvote 1

This is definitely Licuala peltata Sumawongii. And it appears to be very happy.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The spines on these two Licuala are very different and a good way to identify. 

Spines on L. grandis are smaller, more numerous and closely spaced. They are also green with yellowish tips. 

L. sumawongii has large, widely spaced black spines. When small, the leaves are flatter whereas L. grandis leaves are a bit more wavy. 

A few photos. The first is L. grandis.

The second photo is L. peltata var. sumawongii.

Tim

P1070668.jpg

L. peltata var. sumawongii. jpg.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii