IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

An entire cycad collection and cycad nursery full of cycads for sale

cycadjungle

I have been growing and collecting rare cycads for 33 years and have a nursery called The Cycad Jungle here in Florida. I have had lots of cycads for sale, but have kept a huge private collection for breeding purposes. Except for keeping about 15-20 smaller cycads, all my cycads are available for sale. At one time I had 30,000 cycads out here, but now, there are probably around 10,000. A complete inventory is going to be impossible, and anyone truly interested should come out and tour the nursery. I have a number in mind if someone wants everything, but it is most likely I have more cycads than any one person wants to deal with. A close estimate is that they would fill 12 semi truck loads. I have priced them so that if somebody potted them all up in the containers they should be in for landscape use, the buyer could literally make a million dollars. I could see a few people getting together, where some would want the plants mostly for nursery stock and others who are collectors, who want the huge specimens. I will most likely be splitting up everything, but this would be a great investment. 

To give you an idea, there are around 2000 to 3000 Ceratozamia hildae from seedlings to 45 gallon container clusters. I have a 40x50 greenhouse filled with trunking Encephalartos and Dioons. I have sexed pairs or colonies of almost every Caribbean Zamia. A few examples of rare pairs, I have Dr. UA Young's sexed pair of Ceratozamia Presa Aleman. This plant is extinct in the wild, and I only know of 4 sexed pairs in the world. I have a huge sexed pair of Zamia socunucensis coming from the expedition when it was being named. There are many more pairs like this. Most of my cycads are still in containers, but my larger, in ground cycads are available as well. The prize of my in ground collection is a sexed pair of Dioon edule that was brought in by Col. Montgomery in 1933, who founded Fairchild Gardens. The male could be as old as 430 years. They are both huge clusters. 2 videos of these plants can be found on UTube. Search Tom Broome, and Dioon edule, and they should come right up. Besides the specimens at Fairchild and Montgomery, there is no Dioon edule in any botanical garden in the world with a specimen this large. I would reaslly like to see these in a botsnical gsrden somewhere. Even though I would love to find someone interested in everything, I am thinking I will be selling them in pieces. If anyone has a favorite botanical garden, please let them know my cycads are available. If someone wants an investment and a free collection of huge plants, someone who sells all the single stemmed hildaes in 15 gallon containers, and the clusters in 25s, they could make around $80k profit and keep everything else for free. There are all kinds of possibilities. Anyone interested can email me at cycadjungl@aol.com

For those of you who have been out here already, even though everything is for sale, it is still business as usual around here. I am starting another 500 seedlings and already have about 7000 seeds forming on the various cycads. I will sell everything individually, but if I find someone who wants everything, they are gone. With all the breeding plants out here, and how long cycads live, if someone could sell them all, they could make about $250k every year for the next 20 generations. I'm sorry for the long post. Thanks for your interest. I will try to add some pictures, but have many more I can send you. These plants are in Florida and are not officially certified for shipping to California.

Tom Broome

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Drew said:

I am interested in buying some single plants - do you have any E. latifrons?

Thanks,

Andrew

No, somebody came in and bought those. I have the true blue arenarius, nubi, nubi robustus, and inopinus though, for more rare types.

Wow!

If you were closer I'd see if you had a "Cycad hospital" service... I just recently read your article about not throwing away a Cycad. I recently my seximinifera looking unhappy 

and I decided to dig up and found rotted roots. Hoping it will come back.., about a 3.5" caudex..

Good Luck!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks for the tour and Ceratozamia Latifolia, Dioon Mejiae and Macrozamia Communis seedlings!  They are all growing happily in their new homes!  

46 minutes ago, gerardv said:

Where in Florida is your nursery. I am interested in inopinus. GV 

Lakeland Florida, directly between Tampa and Orlando. I'm just off an exit of I-4. Its not a small one. From memory, I think it has a 4 inch stem.

8 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Wow!

If you were closer I'd see if you had a "Cycad hospital" service... I just recently read your article about not throwing away a Cycad. I recently my seximinifera looking unhappy 

and I decided to dig up and found rotted roots. Hoping it will come back.., about a 3.5" caudex..

Good Luck!

And I wrote that article 21 years ago. About 15 years ago I was brought out to L.A. and gave a demonstration with real, damaged plants, for a cycad sale event.

Just cut bad material out, treat with fungicide, cover with tree paint, and put in an inorganic medium. You guys out there use a lot of pumice.

• Like 1

At what point do I start watering? And yes, I had a gal plus of pumice left over I used= lol

(Thanks for the response..)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

5 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

At what point do I start watering? And yes, I had a gal plus of pumice left over I used= lol

That all depends on after surgery, is there any good roots left or did they all get cut off. I am assuming all the leaves were cut off so there is no resporation. If there are some good roots to take in water, wait about a month for the wounds to heal. If no roots at all, ypou can wait months and water the stem lightly once a month or so. A little more often if you are in one of those areas where it gets way over 100f. I would also put in shade and not in direct sun.

15 hours ago, cycadjungle said:

That all depends on after surgery, is there any good roots left or did they all get cut off. I am assuming all the leaves were cut off so there is no resporation. If there are some good roots to take in water, wait about a month for the wounds to heal. If no roots at all, you can wait months and water the stem lightly once a month or so. A little more often if you are in one of those areas where it gets way over 100f. I would also put in shade and not in direct sun.

I cut half of the two remaining leaves. One had fallen over and died, I cut that off. Then another fell, but didn't die... a day or two later I decided it wasn't an animal, but a problem. I cut way back on water.. a couple days later I decided to dig it up.. Probably half the roots rotted. I cut up to firm stuff. The green leaf that fell, seems pretty solid now, the "upright leaf" was a little wobbly, but seems to be firming up since digging a few days ago. At first I just put in pumice... Then the next day I decided to take out, find some old daconil, soaked/sprayed it and left it sitting as you see. If the cut area gets firmer, that is the right thing? I am not sure how far up to cut the roots, or into the caudex?

Just took these pics and thanks again for your help Tom!

61206021_361721384449236_6755692813091864576_n.jpg

61802942_313493196212686_498067368539324416_n.jpg

On 5/28/2019 at 1:00 AM, BS Man about Palms said:

That all depends on after surgery, is there any good roots left or did they all get cut off. I am assuming all the leaves were cut off so there is no resporation. If there are some good roots to take in water, wait about a month for the wounds to heal. If no roots at all, ypou can wait months and water the stem lightly once a month or so. A little more often if you are in one of those areas where it gets way over 100f. I would also put in shade and not in doirect sun.

You have plenty of roots still on the plant to treat it almost normally. I would seal the small wounds with the tree paint and plant it the way you want. I wouldn't water it too much in the first 3 weeks, but after that, everything is healed up.

Thanks!!

This is one of my favorite palms!! I have many Chinese fan palms & arecas.Would love one of these. Would you by chance ship to Wisconsin? I keep all my palms together in a nice warm place over our bitter winters.

On 6/4/2019 at 3:26 AM, Cathy Hermann said:

This is one of my favorite palms!! I have many Chinese fan palms & arecas.Would love one of these. Would you by chance ship to Wisconsin? I keep all my palms together in a nice warm place over our bitter winters.

Hello Cathy, are you sure you typed in the right thread?

• 1 month later...

Hi Tom,

What do you have in Zamias. I know someone who is interested.(not me , I am selling all my cycads too, this guy bought most of my zamias)

My E-mail is 69chuckfg69@gmail.com  He wanted some prices too.

Chuck Grieneisen 

• 3 weeks later...

Chuck, I just saw this. I'll get an email out tomorrow. It is a long list of species and prices and sizes are all over the place. Like with portoricensis. I have plants for $35 on up to $350.

Chuck I tried to send email, it said address was invalid. So here is the list of Zamias.

Hi Chuck, here are the zamia species at the nursery.
A huge sexed pair of turekeimii
A huge sexed pair from Bart's exposition to describe socunucensis
All sizes of inermis, and portoricensis, also sexed pairs.
Sexed and smaller angustifolia
Very thin leaf, and wide leaf loddigesii
Big loddigesii x furfuracea
A bunch of good sized faciated leaflet mutations of furfuracea
Sexed and smaller New Providence
Lots of big females and a male or two of standleyii
2 trunked nesophylla
True spartea seedlings, 1 big male
Brown and green emergent amblyphyllidia (erosa)
Jsmaican Giants
Variegata sexed and not from Guatemala and Belize
Splendens x furfuracea
All kinds of coonties, palatka giants and others
True pumila DR
I still might have a couple of obliqua seedlings,  but I would have to check on those
Huge sexed pair of the green pedant zamia from Honduras. I think they are now called moretii
Varquezii
Lucayana
Sexed pair of an undescribed zamia from Jamaica that was only released by by Fairchild at members day sale 1980
That is all I can remember right now.  Tom

On 8/2/2019 at 10:00 PM, Meangreen94z said:

Do you have any Cycas brunnea or Cycas Canalis?

No,the only Cycas from Australia I have are some 7 year old seedlings of cupida.

• 1 month later...

Ive had a couple of people ask me if I have any cycads left. Except for a few smaller plants, nobody has come out and made a significant purchase. Everything is still available. I will be splitting up the collection and the cycad inventory however people want them. If you are interested in getting any cycads, or know someone else who might he interested, please contact me here or at cycadjungl@aol.com

Thanks for any interest in my plants. I also carry Dyckias, Clivias, variegated palms, and many other types of plants.

Tom Broome

The Cycad Jungle

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...