IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A few Patric plants

Ben in Norcal

Spent a very oddly chilly morning chatting with Patric and Dennis Turrin, checking out a few of the latter’s plants of Patric provenance. I’ll try to post a few pics!

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

And a fat S uresana and little S “Riverside” to round things out!

6B54C365-3C1C-46F2-B504-6D20B0ADF619.jpeg

E59542F5-B700-454A-A42E-FF6417FCB22D.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

8 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

JxS fattening up big time...now trunking.

62F15261-866F-42CE-8762-A8D2F6523B35.jpeg

2D09A253-F9C8-4A41-94FD-9584406A35BB.jpeg

This JxS looks more like a Jubaea than any other I've seen before. I hope there will be enough room for the 2 I have. What is the approximate diameter of this gorgeous monster, and how old is it?

Hi 87˚, Lo 56˚

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

Dayum Ben! Thanks for posting these. My JxQ is starting to come into its own finally. I'm glad I have 2 in the ground at the nursery.

• Like 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

14 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

P sunkha ora self seeding.

07FC4A6A-8FD8-4BB4-A898-5333AB7CD4E6.jpeg

81057E98-A6E4-4F88-88D9-9BA70B7BFB8F.jpeg

seeds are certainly fertile

• Like 2

GIUSEPPE

Ben, we have 14,000 members, perhaps you could add the full names of each cross for those persons less 'in the know' about hybrids.   Thanks,  :)

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

9 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

This JxS looks more like a Jubaea than any other I've seen before. I hope there will be enough room for the 2 I have. What is the approximate diameter of this gorgeous monster, and how old is it?

Hi 87˚, Lo 56˚

It's fat, Tom - makes me concerned about the placement of my own plant!  Diameter is at least 2.5', maybe more.  Dennis has all of these plants on steroids.

All plants in this garden are less than 10 years in ground from, I believe, small sizes.

Ben Rogers

58 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Ben, we have 14,000 members, perhaps you could add the full names of each cross for those persons less 'in the know' about hybrids.   Thanks,  :)

Good point, Darold - apologies, I was racing to get these up yesterday as I had both little boogers on my hands!  In order:

Parajubaea torallyi torallyi

Jubaea x Syagrus romanzoffiana (Queen)

Butia odorata x Parajubaea cocoides (your old monster plant, I believe, Darold!)

Parajubaea sunkha

Brahea decumbens

Sabal uresana and Sabal "Riverside"

For all hybrid plants, the mother plant is listed first according to convention.

See you later this morning with one of the little monsters, Darold!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

13 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

It's fat, Tom - makes me concerned about the placement of my own plant!  Diameter is at least 2.5', maybe more.  Dennis has all of these plants on steroids.

All plants in this garden are less than 10 years in ground from, I believe, small sizes.

Thanks Ben, that is in accord with the reports of @Gtlevine (Gary Levine) who has the largest documented one known. The last report I remember from him was 3 feet in diameter. Although they have been known to transplant easily, I would rather move anything in it's way to avoid slowing it down. :)

Hi 78˚, Lo 56˚

• Like 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

Nice palm, i love the parajubaea :P

• Like 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the photos,  palms look amazing! I've seen updates on most of them in other threads except a few... any update on the Sabals & Jubaea x Sygarus? :drool:

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

I love those hybrids, the JxS, BxP look great and the parajubaes and sabals look very happy!  

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

wow!!! I need to hop on PT more often. Looking super nice Ben!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24