IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Garden in the Works

E_Rose

We were going to get King palms and just “baby” them as suggested by someone else who lives nearby that has them. We changed our minds and decided to go with cold hardy instead.

We planted the first of three today! We planted this Butia ourselves which was a huge mistake. The owner of the nursery didn’t seem to think it would be too hard of a job for a few people. I should have considered that he works with people who do this daily for a living. 

It took five men to get it out of our truck to our back yard. From there, my husband, our son, and I fought with it all day. So thankful and relieved that it’s finally in! Luckily the other two are much lighter Mules that we can actually lift up! I’ll post more pics as we get everything in! 

I’ve been lurking here for a while now as I did my research on what I wanted. Looking forward to learning from everyone and being a part of this community! 

8889B5D4-056E-4C71-AB89-FD863E6713CD.thumb.jpeg.9e1be28afa1584ba26d226b26e86c422.jpeg

289EA569-9F93-44D0-963A-5E753DBD338C.thumb.jpeg.b6dedc7791b0beb6d815f788445b6669.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

@E_Rose Welcome to PalmTalk and congratulations on your new purchases!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Very nice!  What nursery did you get the plants from?

I germinate a lot and often have things to share - though my obsession is Kings!  I have hundreds of them...I am sure they'd do well for you in some shade.

Also have and recommend many other hybrids - some BxJxS and Coco Queens would be nice in your yard!  Coco Queens are another particular obsession.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I bought these from Jungle Bamboo and Palm Nursery in Cotati. I’ve seen several of your posts and some pics of some of your beautiful plants. Do you have any photos of the coco queens? I haven’t seen those but I bet they’re beautiful! 

We have a ton of cool wind and some pretty cool nights in both summer and winter and I just wasn’t sure about the kings.  I love them and would love to have one but just wasn’t sure we could make it work without more experience. 

17 minutes ago, E_Rose said:

I bought these from Jungle Bamboo and Palm Nursery in Cotati. I’ve seen several of your posts and some pics of some of your beautiful plants. Do you have any photos of the coco queens? I haven’t seen those but I bet they’re beautiful! 

We have a ton of cool wind and some pretty cool nights in both summer and winter and I just wasn’t sure about the kings.  I love them and would love to have one but just wasn’t sure we could make it work without more experience. 

It’s not a very nice day here as you know, but here are a couple pics of some of my Coco Queens.

79AF640F-752A-482A-8F44-9E07BE53034F.jpeg

635B7919-B41F-4BB8-9353-8097B8E867AA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I have some Coco Queens in 15s that I would be willing to sell, so PM me if any interest in those.

1EAE51C5-2499-4CD4-9969-D004344C2F23.jpeg

Ben Rogers

As you can see, Kings do well here! They actually prefer cooler summer temps.

26047D01-747F-4F5D-8C44-20BBA8B95C74.jpeg

7D162666-ECD4-45FF-8A58-1E1D11A6AA3E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

They’re all so beautiful!! Interested in a coco queen but we need to finish planting what we have first or I’m going to be in trouble. Hahahaha! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, E_Rose said:

They’re all so beautiful!! Interested in a coco queen but we need to finish planting what we have first or I’m going to be in trouble. Hahahaha! 

PM me if you ever want one.  I have a bunch of other stuff if you are looking as well - trying to get the size of my container ranch down!

Ben Rogers

Welcome to PalmTalk. Beautiful Butia you have. Have you considered mule palms?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Welcome to PalmTalk. Beautiful Butia you have. Have you considered mule palms?

Thank you! Yes— I bought two when I bought this Butia. Planted one today and have to plant the other tomorrow. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 8:24 AM, E_Rose said:

289EA569-9F93-44D0-963A-5E753DBD338C.thumb.jpeg.b6dedc7791b0beb6d815f788445b6669.jpeg

That’s great looking Butia ! :shaka-2:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, E_Rose said:

Progress!! 

58B299D1-221D-42AB-89CC-6D05EE4BB7DF.jpeg

0D6945E3-07EF-4A45-9055-45DE599B06E7.jpeg

Looks great!  You'll eventually need to move the retaining wall blocks for those Butiagrus as well, but that's no big deal.

You need more palms! :D

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

Nice butia there, and mules. I imagine the butia was a struggle to get in. The trunk looks a pretty good size already. 

Butias and mules are the main staples in our yard too. 2 butias and 3 mules and couldn't be happier that we went cold hardy either for our area. You might want to consider sabals for some eventual understory growth. I haven't posted photos of our yard for a while now and should think about doing so. Our "baby" mule (smallest of the three) has finally reached up to our second story windows and is viewable from inside. Wanted some shade on that side of the yard, hoping it will cool down the southwesterly walls of our house during the summer, so looks like we are getting there finally. I am sure you will be very happy with your selection. Very low maintenance and just attractive pinate palms. Take lots of photos. It's fun to compare their growth over the years.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14