IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Whats your rarest palm?

Howeadypsis

Every time I come on here I hear of a new unknown palm with an unpronounceable name, and as a relative newbie to palms(tho Ive been into plants since I was a kid!)  I was wondering what your rarest, most spectacular or unusual palm is?

Also, why dont I get email notiications of new posts, even tho Ive gone thru my profile settings.,

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Since my Licuala radula croaked last week and I've been trying to get a replacement...this seems to be a good candidate.  I don't think there are any for sale, anywhere.  I don't think these like it too hot (died in my greenhouse during the heatwave).

Another candidate is the Dypsis on my avatar.  John Dransfield said it looked like Dypsis bosseri, and he described Dypsis bosseri so probably knows best.  While poking around the web the other day I found a reference listing Dypsis bosseri as extinct.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Ooh, i really like that one Matt!

Licuala radula

dypsis florenci and something called dypsis betafaka. I have no idea what this ( betafaka)  will look like when it grows up so if anyone knows where I can find any info please let me know.

Thanks

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Tikitiki,

There is a photo of juvenile, but still fairly large, Dypsis 'betafaka' in a previous post by Bruno.  I'm pretty sure this is the palm that was recently available.  I have a seedling as well and it looks very interesting.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

Any palm that I cannot replace by purchasing from a local source is rare.  By that token I have dozens of rare palms, since the usual suspects at garden centers number only about six.  If I look really hard there may be a few more.  Favorite palm of the moment though is the Joey palm, Johannestesmania altifrons.

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

To get notifications, click on "Track this Topic" on each of the posts you want to follow. My rarest palm would probably be a Trachycarpus nanus, which isn't really that rare. Its hard to have rare stuff when it gets cold in the winter.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Matt,

Have you ever posted a larger pic of your Dypsis bosseri. If not, why don't you? The avatar just isn't big enough for me.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I've posted a photo before, but not this one, I don't think...  I'm really amazed at how happy this palm is outside here.  When the most recent leaf fell off there was a faint sliver of a spathe(?) so I think that this palm is starting to think about flowering.  By the way, I got this palm from Jerry Andersen, the seed came to him labeled as Dypsis 'menalaingo'.

Matt

post-6-1154376808_thumb.jpg

San Diego

That is a nice looking palm Matt.Love the colors and the leaflets.How old is it?How is the growth rate?Does anyone know the real name?

Shon

San Marcos CA

Having a hard time deciding whether to put this in the Palm Favorite thread or in this one, but since I have a whole bunch of favorites I ended up here! :) And Larry, not meaning to be picky but there could be a BIG difference between 'rare' and 'spectacular'!! Anyway, here are two of my Lodoicea maldivica.

And Matt, that's a GREAT looking Dypsis - whatever it is!

post-22-1154400426_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo- is that a Metroxylon behind there and to the right? Wow I keep being stunned by the pics I have seen of your garden.  The grass just enhances things, and from me that is saying a lot, as I am not a big fan of lawns. I would rather have a jungle look.

Zac

Zac  

Zac,

Yes, that's a Metroxylon warburgii on the right. As a matter of fact, let me post a photo of the two that are right there. I'm not a great fan of lawns either, and a lot of our property does indeed have the "jungle look" but in landscaping it's nice to do a few different things, just to create more interest, and that's what I've done. Plus with grass, you also automatically get the opportunity to view the palms from a distance.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1154403401_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

It's not surprising Lodoicea maldivica are rare, with the size and price of the seeds.

I suppose my rarest is my ButiaxJubaea, so not particularly rare then, unless my Pholidostachys pulchra is more rare, they are certainly both less common than my CIDP's, etc.

Jubaea x Butia, 24-07-06

Jubaea%20X%20Butia%20sized%2024-07-06.jpg

P.pulchra, still very small, 24-07-06

P.pulchra%20sized%2024-07-06.jpg

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

My rarest would be Ravenea dransfieldii. Only little plants though.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

OK. I can now (as of last weekend) say my rarest plant is a healthy 5 gal. Carpoxylon. Ask me in a year if it's still healthy!

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

A rare one for Perth...

oenocarpusdist.jpg

Oenocarpus distichus from our Brazillian friend...

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

(Zac in NC @ Jul. 31 2006,15:44)

To get notifications, click on "Track this Topic" on each of the posts you want to follow.

Zac

Zac, I have done that on a few postings but it still doesnt work.Strange as I go to many forums and I get email notifications.

Maybe it has something to do with the new format of this board. I haven't tried tracking topics yet with this board. Perhaps other people are having the same problems????

Zac

Zac  

Hmmmm...I don't really have any super rare stuff.  Maybe Geonoma undata would be up there?  Or how about Pseudophoenix vinifera?...Rare for So Cal at least....it's still working on it's first leaf though.  It's not really even a palm yet, more like a green toothpick.  Hey, Jack, you're growing a P. vinifera, yeah?  Is it still a wee lad?  Gotta get a hold on some Pseudophoenix eckmanii!!!!  I hear Jungle Music's working on it.  Does anyone else have it?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Aug. 02 2006,02:09)

Hey, Jack, you're growing a P. vinifera, yeah?  Is it still a wee lad?

Matt,

Yeah, my P. vinifera is still a wee lad.  The tip of the tallest leaf is probably 75cm, and the base is maybe 2cm in diameter.  But, I think I might actually get two leaves out of him this year, what a rocket!!

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

I do have a small Kentiopsis pyriformis.  Anyone else growing this one?  Maybe I'll start a new thread. :;):  Here's a pretty bad pic of it.  The new leaf does have a hint of pink.  The crownshaft seems to be a bronze color too.

post-126-1154550358_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Wow Matt,

Where'd you get that one?  I have a seedling I got last year from Jerry Anderson but it's only up to 4 leaves, still bifid.  Yours must be from a different seed batch, or just grown much better!

Matt

San Diego

Jungle Music has lots of them.  They are all this size.  Small plants in 2 gallon pots.  They are well grown though.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(Zac in NC @ Aug. 01 2006,23:17)

Maybe it has something to do with the new format of this board. I haven't tried tracking topics yet with this board. Perhaps other people are having the same problems????

Zac

Well i just opened outlook and lots of emails from Palmtakk, well well.... :P

(MattyB @ Aug. 02 2006,16:25)

I do have a small Kentiopsis pyriformis.  Anyone else growing this one?  Maybe I'll start a new thread. :;):  Here's a pretty bad pic of it.  The new leaf does have a hint of pink.  The crownshaft seems to be a bronze color too.

Matt,

I bought a couple of these from Jeff Marcus maybe a year ago.  They arrived as 1-2 leaf seedlings, and now they're robust 5 leafers.  At least a 2 or 3 mm diameter base!  

On a side note, I have a LOT of different New Caledonian species growing in the same area of my greenhouse.  Most are very small seedlings just like these guys.  Anyway, K. pyriformis was the only species that seemed to have a little trouble with the extremely hot (40+C) days we had a couple weeks ago.

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

I have a butiagrus.... not really that rare but the rarest I have

BGL, thats an incredibly Lodoicea! How old is that?? Are you hoping to get viable seeds one day?

I'm always up for learning new things!

(Howeadypsis @ Aug. 02 2006,18:57)

(Zac in NC @ Aug. 01 2006,23:17)

Zac

Well i just opened outlook and lots of emails from Palmtakk, well well.... :P

Good for you. Now my rarest palm, at least in NC, is a just sprouted Gaussia maya, from Gileno. I am so happy.

Zac

Zac  

Kyle,

The Lodoicea palms, and there are two of them in the photo, are the same age. Both seeds were planted in Nov 1999 and they germinated (and began to push the first frond) in early 2001. There's a third (behind the camera), also planted at the same time. I was happy just to see all three germinate, and to see them do well now. You need both a male and a female for viable seeds so with "only" 3 plants, who knows! And even if I do have one of each, it's likely to be another 35 years or so! :) So, I'm just enjoying the plants. Getting seeds is not in the equation!

Bo-Göran

Probably my recent Dypsis OCWS purchase. I am nuts to have others nearly as rare also...... :o

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill, I would think it would have to be your OCWS. Congratulations, I know you're a very proud papa.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Anyway, K. pyriformis was the only species that seemed to have a little trouble with the extremely hot (40+C) days we had a couple weeks ago.

Jack, Mine saw 105F-108F on that Saturday from hell.  It was under 75% shade cloth and did just fine.  I think you might have had a few more days that week over 100F than me though.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

My rarest palm is most likely my Foxylady, the next maybe my Phoenix reclinata X P. rupicola cross..I like it because it takes everything the desert throws at it.. my other rare palm is most likly my Veitchia vitiensis......I don't do drugs but I must be tripping on something if I think this Veitchia will live through one winter in Phoenix...but it was so cheep, only $2 for a gal plant that I got two....the only other Veitchia I had that survived for 5 winters outside was V. winin.

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Dear Neo,

Can you tell me from where can i procure seeds of Jubaeax Butia hybrid variety online.

details of that site who ship seeds to international coustomers and should be reputed seed sellers.

and neo your sapling on jubaea x butia is fantestic.

any members who have details on hybridseed retailers kindly share the info..

in hybrid varities washingtoniaFilibusta & jubaea Butia are very nice.

thanks in advance. :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris I bought mine as a seedling from Hardy Palms, which is run by Nigel, a member here.  I don't know whether he supplies seeds or whether he can ship internationally, but I'm sure someone would be able to suggest a source, if Nigel can't help.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Probably Livistona inermis. Here it is in Darwin. It has since grown another leaf, a real boomer but bloody rare for having one here I'd say.

post-51-1154597034_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wow Jason:

Those Oenocarpus of yours are looking great, enjoying the winter in amazonic Perth (!)...and they are still sprouting? I've lost a few of mine during the adaptation to potting mix, these are difficult creatures...

My rarest palms are not my favorites...I just don't notice anybody else around here growing them: Bactris ferruginea, Lepidocaryum tenue, Rheinhardtia simplex, Euterpe oleracea green fruit (Açaí branco), Bactris glassmanii, Cocos nucifera "apple" hybrid, etc.

I wouldn't mind growing a "common" Lodoicea like Bo's though...

Lepidocaryum tenue:

post-157-1154607497_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

(Dypsisdean @ Aug. 03 2006,00:15)

Bill, I would think it would have to be your OCWS. Congratulations, I know you're a very proud papa.

Thanks Dean,  I picked up a big 15 gal Big Curly the same day.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(MattyB @ Aug. 03 2006,02:09)

Jack, Mine saw 105F-108F on that Saturday from hell.  It was under 75% shade cloth and did just fine.  I think you might have had a few more days that week over 100F than me though.

Matt,

My mistake, when I looked this morning it was my Basselinia pancheri that had suffered, the K. pyriformis were unfazed.  Also, that Saturday was the only day that was stupid hot at my place (43C=109F), but I had a couple other days top out right around 100F.

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Wow, all these palms Ive never heard of!

So many palms, so little room........